The Gayle Bradley is starting to wear me down..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Screwdriver

The Gayle Bradley is starting to wear me down..

Post by Screwdriver »

So I bought a Techno last week and absolutely love the knife. But, it got me thinking of the Gayle Bradley that I bought a year ago. I never really warmed up to it, just never liked it.....so it got put away as a later trade, sell etc. Then the Techno got me to re look at these cheap arse Taiwanese Spydercos :D and made me pull out the GB again.

OK.....WTH was I thinking when I put the GB away? Seriously....this is a **** nice knife and I will now be forced to EDC it for awhile.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
Holland

Post by Holland »

How could you disregard it like that!?!?!? :D the gayle bradley is my favourite knife of that size! incredible F&F, awesome grind, very sturdy, and M4 is indredimazing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it just had a stronger/deeper choil, I would probably be EDC'ing one right now. Sigh.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Evil D wrote:If it just had a stronger/deeper choil, I would probably be EDC'ing one right now. Sigh.
That is the only issue I have.....
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't like the liner lock. If it was a compression lock, back lock, bolt action, ball bearing, or frame lock I'd have one by now to try out M4 (The Air is a bit small for me, and I don't like the lack of a pocket clip, and the liner lock).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:If it just had a stronger/deeper choil, I would probably be EDC'ing one right now. Sigh.
I'd say give it a shot. I know this discussion has been beaten to death, but I carried a GB for a while and never feared for the safety of my fingers. I'm mainly EDC-ing a Techno these days and I find it also suits me just fine without a choil or finger guard. YMMV.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:I'd say give it a shot. I know this discussion has been beaten to death, but I carried a GB for a while and never feared for the safety of my fingers. I'm mainly EDC-ing a Techno these days and I find it also suits me just fine without a choil or finger guard. YMMV.
Yeah, it's just a preference. After carrying my Yo 2 for so long, I just like the feeling of it. It's almost as much about aesthetics as anything else.
~David
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I don't like the liner lock. If it was a compression lock, back lock, bolt action, ball bearing, or frame lock ...
Liner lock bad, frame lock good? They're the same thing!
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

yowzer wrote:Liner lock bad, frame lock good? They're the same thing!
I read the GB's LL is as strong as a FL. In mine at least the LL is full contact with the blade. I have zero issues with it.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Screwdriver wrote:I read the GB's LL is as strong as a FL. In mine at least the LL is full contact with the blade. I have zero issues with it.
The GB has a very stout lock. The liners are about the thickest I've seen in a production knife and I think the CF scale would provide at least a little reinforcement against the lockbar blowing out under shock.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

yowzer wrote:Liner lock bad, frame lock good? They're the same thing!
I still think a titanium frame lock is stronger than the majority of liner locks. The lock on the GB seems strong enough, but by biggest issue is actually that there's no cutout in the handle, which makes it hard to disengage the lock (Based on the one I held a few days ago, I think the lock on my Schempp Tuff is easier to release). I'd trust a Spyderco liner lock before most other companies normal knife locks, but there are also other reasons. I like the additional simplicity of the integrated frame lock, especially from the perspective of keeping a knife clean etc. In order, my favourite lock mechanisms are Back Lock, Compression Lock, Ball Bearing Lock, Integrated Titanium Frame lock, and finally the Liner Lock (I haven't tried a Bolt Action Lock, but I expect it would slot right after Ball Bearing in my preference).

---> Branden
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Good to see you mark your sarcasm :D ! Always loved my Gayle Bradley because it is built ****-for-stout and is small enough and light enough to be carried comfortably! I feel confident that I can handle any cutting task that may come my way when I have Gayle with me! :)
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Screwdriver wrote:I read the GB's LL is as strong as a FL.
I believe Sal once said that they can make any lock as strong as they want.

(Personally, I don't like frame locks because I don't care for metal handles, not for any technical issues with the lock itself).
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I honestly truely don't see how anyone can have an issue with accessing the GBs lock...I can do it with either hand, in the dark and never miss. It's not at all a hard lock to disengage and unless you have sausage fingers, its just a matter of the fleshy part of your thumbpressing down and over...

And I love the GB, probably in my top 3 all time production knives. I do wish it had no choil at all, and a better blade to handle ratio. But those are minor gripes because it is so great in every way other than that.

Still dying to see the other Bradly folder that there was a proto of!!
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have sausage fingers. Besides, my knife works for me, I don't work to use my knife. If I owned one, opening the lock access would happen before I cut a single thing.
~David
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't find it hard to open the Gayle Bradley...I just find it to be harder than all 3 of my frame locks. I don't have sausage fingers...I have long thin wiry fingers, with exceptionally dry skin and the tips of my fingers get cracks on them occasionally, more often in the winter. It can make operating frame and liner locks annoying, and I find back locks to be the easiest to operate under any conditions (Not just the previously mentioned example either). Most of my knives are back locks for these reasons...and they're more ambidextrous, especially in the case of some frame and liner locks Spydercos, like the Techno which is my hardest Spyderco to open left handed. It's a right pocket knife though, as I usually keep the longer knives in my left pocket. We all have reasons for our preferences.

All said though, in all likelihood I'll likely end up with a Galye Bradley at some point. There are several Spydercos I'd rather have before the Galyle Bradley is at the top of my list. The 2 Spyderco liner lock knives I've come closest to buying are the Vallotton and CruWear Military respectively.

---> Branden
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

The GB is a wishlist knife. I'm waiting for money or it to be discontinued.
I'm not a liner lock fan, I prefer others but after watching non-knife people work back locks.... etc that's a non-issue, I'll take whatever they give me.

Glad it's back in pocket for you. Its the best place any Spyderco could want. I'd gladly take ownership of a GB.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

yowzer wrote:(...I don't care for metal handles)
I'd been coming to the same conclusion until the Memory. That knife changed my opinion on metal handles. Part of it was weight/size. Part was the "slick" feeling. But the Memory fixed everything.

Ken
玉鋼
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

yowzer wrote:I believe Sal once said that they can make any lock as strong as they want.

(Personally, I don't like frame locks because I don't care for metal handles, not for any technical issues with the lock itself).
I am not super fond of metal handles unless there is a texture. I own a D2 Leek and my one put off in the slick metal handle. The Techno is just a big chunk of metal and has a certain appeal to me.

As for locks......Sitting here looking at the Techno and Gayle Bradley and I noticed that the GB has more lock to blade contact then the Techno. Just a little more, but still.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I have owned a lot of high end knives, from $1000 customs on down, and the GB is STILL one of the few knives I regret selling. My only personal gripe would be the lack of a relief to make releasing the lock bar easier. I understand why Gayle designed it this way though.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order