Rust Prevention Opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

Rust Prevention Opinions

Post by wmcilvain »

I use CLP on all my firearms since they get used pretty regularly, but I am using Mineral oil on my knives because my EDC always sees food. I was wondering what others use for both lubrication and rust Prevention
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I also use Mineral oil on my EDC's that come in contact with food. For the others I like to use Militec, it is a good rust preventative.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Lord vader wrote: For the others I like to use Militec, it is a good rust preventative.
...or tuff cloth. Those work well, and they last forever.

Ken
玉鋼
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

kbuzbee wrote:...or tuff cloth. Those work well, and they last forever.

Ken
I have heard a lot of good things about tuff cloth, I may have to give it a try, Thanks kbuzbee
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I use Soy Lube SL-100.....non toxic, smells like citrus. I have a microfiber cloth that is slightly impregnated with it. I just wipe my blades off after use and all is well.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Lord vader wrote:I have heard a lot of good things about tuff cloth, I may have to give it a try, Thanks kbuzbee
I dislike the smell of the product on the tuffcloth which stay on the blade. Anyone knows if this polimer like product is food safe?
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

IG-88 wrote:I dislike the smell of the product on the tuffcloth which stay on the blade. Anyone knows if this polimer like product is food safe?
I wouldn't use it for that.

Ken
玉鋼
JHR

Post by JHR »

I use Rem Oil. I don't know if it's food safe but it certainly doesn't smell food safe.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

IG-88 wrote:I dislike the smell of the product on the tuffcloth which stay on the blade. Anyone knows if this polimer like product is food safe?
Hi Nicolas, Sentry Solutions says: "None of Sentry Solutions products are FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved ... If you plan to cut food with a TUF-CLOTH treated blade, we suggest that you wipe or wash the blade first, then re-wipe when convenient. "
http://www.sentrysolutions.com/FAQS.html
I use camellia oil for my knives, smells good and is food safe.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

MarcusH wrote:Hi Nicolas, Sentry Solutions says: "None of Sentry Solutions products are FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved ... If you plan to cut food with a TUF-CLOTH treated blade, we suggest that you wipe or wash the blade first, then re-wipe when convenient. "
http://www.sentrysolutions.com/FAQS.html
I use camellia oil for my knives, smells good and is food safe.
Sentry Solutions also noted that getting FDA approval for a product like TufGlide is a *very* expensive process. Since their primary market isn't related to food preparation, they decided not to spend the cash to add "food safe" to their label.

Personally, I wouldn't take a swig of the stuff out of the bottle - but it doesn't appear to be toxic. I've used TufGlide-treated blades for years to cut up fruit, prepare dinner on campouts, etc. Once the product dries after application, it imparts no taste to food and the amount you might ingest is very very small.

It works great for corrosion prevention!

TedP
9blades

Post by 9blades »

My personal favorite is froglube, prevents rust, smells like wintergreen, and doesn't leave a taste on food. :)
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

phillipsted wrote:Sentry Solutions also noted that getting FDA approval for a product like TufGlide is a *very* expensive process. Since their primary market isn't related to food preparation, they decided not to spend the cash to add "food safe" to their label.
Don't know much about the approval process in the US, but I think that it might be impossible to get a FDA approval.
TufGlide has ingredients like hexafluropropylene and perfluoroisobutylene:
http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/50 ... ntion.html
TufGlide is great for corrosion prevention, but I personally would never use it for food prep.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.