G-10 UKPKs for modding

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

G-10 UKPKs for modding

Post by phillipsted »

I've been wanting to pick up a few UKPKs in G10 so I can re-scale them for Christmas presents. But they have been really difficult to find on the secondary market. (I know they are discontinued!) The auction site hasn't had any in months, although they have orange Urbans occasionally and sell a pretty reliable stream of titanium UKPKs.

I should have picked up more of them when they were on close out a couple of years ago. Oh, well.

I've been looking for other Spydies that are set up for easy modding (e.g., no nested liners, no pinned construction). There are a few in the current line up (e.g., Native V, Cat/Chicago, Budget Line), and quite a few discos... But I'm wanting some blades that have good steel - which rules out the Cat/Chicago and Budget Line - and don't cost an arm and a leg.

There are some Persians on closeout at a good price, but they look pinned - is this correct? The basic Lum G10 looks like an option, too, as it is on closeout several places. Any thoughts about other models to look at?

Sal, I miss the G10 UKPK and Urban!

TedP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ted, I can confirm that, aside from the blade pivot, the Persians are pinned.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Pingo, Squeak are both N690Co, which I find to be a very nice steel.

I think you should try testing out a gift from the current FFG BD-1 model and see how they take it. I like the steel quite a bit and it feels like a very premium knife for the price.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Ted,

'Twas a very small market due mostly to the high cost.

We're thinking about a light weight Urban in N690 (like the "Squeak") and we're thinking about a short run of Titan Squeaks and Pingo's.

sal
M80

Post by M80 »

Titan Squeaks and Pingo's ?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:...we're thinking about a short run of Titan Squeaks and Pingo's.
Titanium Pingo! Yes, please!
Uke

Post by Uke »

sal wrote:...We're thinking about a light weight Urban in N690 (like the "Squeak") and we're thinking about a short run of Titan Squeaks and Pingo's.

sal
Yes please! A lightweight Urban in N690 is music to my ears! My G10 Urbans are easily the most carried of all my slipits. Put me down for a few! :)
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

phillipsted wrote: Any thoughts about other models to look at?

TedP
The new Blue Lava is a possibility if you can find one right now. I've though about modding mine.

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Count me in too, Sal, for the lightweight Urban but only if it's the leaf blade. I suspect other folks might favor the Wharncliff.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:We're thinking about a light weight Urban in N690 (like the "Squeak") and we're thinking about a short run of Titan Squeaks and Pingo's.

sal
That's awesome Sal, very nice idea! What would it take to slip the Spy-DK in place of the Squeak (no pun intended)? I've handled the Squeak, it's a very capable little knife, but please don't take this the wrong way: it has zero sex appeal :( . Now the Pingo, what a great little character that just screams "make a Ti version of me!". And so will the new Spy-DK, by the looks of it in the new catalog. The Ti UKPK certainly deserve those two new mates, as do your loyal Danish friends behind the Spy-DK! Please Sal, make it a Ti Spy-DK instead of a Squeak!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hey Ted,

I wanted to mention that some modders do a layered/linered version of scales for the models with nested liners. They do a solid scale, then a thin layer with the nested liner area cut out. Then they just sandwich the whole thing together.

I think the scales with a different color liner look pretty nice, too.

Titanium Squeak and Pingo sound perfect for me. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TomAiello wrote:Titanium Pingo! Yes, please!
**** yes.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I miss the Urbans too...I wish that there had been more done with them. At this point they are hard to find...I've been looking for a green one a while now. So while Im not a huge lightweight fan, it would be something at least....

And a Ti Pingo would be sweet!
On the hunt for...
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

LW Urbans sounds great!

But for me: no Titanium please. I love the material itself but hate it as scales material due to the slippery feeling :(

The taiwanese CF as on the Sage 1 would be awesome!

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
Holland

Post by Holland »

Manix 2 might be a good one. would be pretty expensive though
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

cant believe i forgot! CHAPARRAL 1!!!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've done some poking around and have found a few candidates for other Spydies to mod. A lot of these will probably see nice wood scales and end up as gifts, which may rule out more tactical Spydies like the Yo2...

- Sage 1: it can be bought for under $100 in a lot of places. But you have to take off that gorgeous CF...
- As Holland mentions, the Chaparral 1. Nice little knife and probably a good candidate.
- The blue Lava, as James points out. Might be a cool project - but I haven't seen a lot of them in the market yet...
- I found several sellers with G10 Lums on sale at steep discounts - both the black and pink models.
- Old CF Chicagos and Cats can still be found online. I don't mind if the CF is a bit wonky as they are on these models sometimes...

Just thinking...
TedP
Holland

Post by Holland »

i think a chaparral 1 with wood scales would be extremely classy and elegant. might have just talked myself into getting this done haha
-Spencer

Rotation: