ZDP delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

ZDP delica

Post by wmcilvain »

Does anyone have one that has had a rust issue I was using it and I am getting paranoid about it turning to oxidized dust. So I have three questions...

1. Does it rust that easily or is it overblown?
2. If I bathe it in vinegar and get a darker color on the blade would that help?
3. Will it stain or pit?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My ZDP Spydies (I have a Delica, Endura and Caly) have shown no sign of rust at all.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have an Endura and Manbug in ZDP and both have been flawless. I just wipe the blade down after use.

Also I have many knives in carbon steels like 10XX, L6 etc. and with basic care they have all been rust free. I do have an Opinal #8 Carbone that I blued the blade with cold gun blue and I like the way it looks. That knife has even been through the wash a couple times and it is still rust free.....

Now I do live in Los Angeles.....which might explain my luck.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

wmcilvain wrote:1. Does it rust that easily or is it overblown?
Depends on how you define "that easily". In my experience, ZDP-189 would probably be best described as semi-stainless. It rusts more easily than the fully stainless steels Spyderco uses (VG-10, S30V, etc), but less easily than the tool steels that now seem to be coming back into vogue.
wmcilvain wrote:2. If I bathe it in vinegar and get a darker color on the blade would that help?
No. It won't take a "patina" in the way a carbon steel would, and the acid might make it rust.
wmcilvain wrote:3. Will it stain or pit?
Depends on how soon you notice the rust and remove it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
landromus

Post by landromus »

One my favorite Spideys is a ZDP Dragonfly with a distinct deep pit. I did not clean it off after slicing an apple, and it sat that way for a good long time. I was very bummed, and now pay more attention and lube 'em up every so often.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been abusing my ZDP Dragonfly for about a year, using it to cut vegetables many times and not wiping it off afterwards. It has a bit of staining, but I haven't noticed any rust. I cut some tape with my Nishijin ZDP Dragonfly and forgot about it, it has some orange marks on it. I need to check up on them. I'll probably use some flitz and expect it to be gone very easily.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I use a ZDP delica and ladybug. I've had zero problems with rust. Sharpening however was another story. The Delica was ground a little obtuse on one side. Many hours of work, and much frustration until I got it straight. No problems now, and I learned that ZDP likes a light touch.

Grizz
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

double post
Holland

Post by Holland »

my ZDP dfly2 has darkened/stained a bit. But i have not taken very good care of it all and its still in great shape. dont think u have anything to worry about
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My ZDP knives have all taken a bit of color during use, but it wipes easily off. My Delica did get some spotting/pitting after a Scout camping trip a couple of years ago. I check all of them regularly and hit them with the TufGlide every few weeks.

TedP
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Just a light dark shadow in my case.But no rust.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

elena86 wrote:Just a light dark shadow in my case.But no rust.
I believe youve just redefined physics.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I said earlier that my Endura ZDP has no issues, but looking at it today, there is a slight/very light patina on the exposed part of the blade when closed.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

I use my knife for food and everything else, has anyone used mineral oil on knives? how well does it work.