Spyderco Bayonet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:When was the last time you saw entry teams using bayonets??? Bayonets are the antithesis of (to borrow an overused phrase) high speed/low drag. :rolleyes: Use of bayonets today is largely limited to ceremonial uses and, in general, they make pretty poor general purpose knives.

And if Spyderco were to make such a knife, the primary driver would be quality, not price.
+1

I'm just trying to imagine the news article for the aftermath. We are a society on a whole that believes Tasers and pepper spray are inhumane...

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Let's all just go back to trench warfare because somebody thinks bayonets are cool. ;)
Dibs on shovels and a manly pipe. :D
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

No one has bayonets for their HD shotguns? Flashlights are usually rail mounted on the side of a weapon, the bayonet lug can still be used, they compliment not compete.
I see, said the blind man.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

w3tnz wrote:No one has bayonets for their HD shotguns? Flashlights are usually rail mounted on the side of a weapon, the bayonet lug can still be used, they compliment not compete.
No...where do we start? Longer when you need shorter. Heavier when you need lighter. Much harder to handle with one hand/arm. More likely to catch on surroundings when you need quick responsiveness. And so on...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bolt on stuff to yoyr gun, right...
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

JNewell wrote:No...where do we start? Longer when you need shorter. Heavier when you need lighter. Much harder to handle with one hand/arm. More likely to catch on surroundings when you need quick responsiveness. And so on...
Shorter for what? Clearing a building perhaps, but I'm talking a true legally (your laws may vary of course) justifiable defensive situation where you would be barricaded and stationary. Not to mention I want as much reach and distance between the intruder as possible.
Also you'll find it more effective to loose any length at the stock rather than the barrel.

Heavier? Maybe an issue for the small child in the family, but even that's a stretch.

Harder to handle is subjective to the user and the training, or lack of, not to mention how quickly it can be removed/attatched if the situation required.

Some of us aren't technically allowed to keep a firearm locked and loaded for defence, so a bayonet can be a good alternative to actually discharging the weapon and facing court case.

Funny the amount of people that would seriously consider a knife for defence but it turns into a joke when you put it on the end of a 20" handle. :rolleyes:

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Bolt on stuff to yoyr gun, right...
Jeez you're not even trying anymore chuck, sure you can do better than that.
I see, said the blind man.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well.,you can train to.use a yoyo for HD, wont mean its practical.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My mosin nagant has a bayonet and a lot of reach. It also doubles as a flathead screwdriver. Not good for cutting things but it serves the real purpose of a bayonet. They weren't meant to be used as knives. If you want a bayonet it should stay on your rifle as a bayonet. Sharp doesn't matter for the bayonets intended purpose. Stabbing is more efficient than slicing when it comes to soft targets. Just buy a nagant. It's cheaper than a bayonet and it comes with one.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Do not discount the bayonet, or say there is no longer a need for them. :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bayo ... emy-ambush

Bayonets have their place in the military. Don't assume that all soldiers have their own knife in case things went sideways. During my time I knew soldiers that only carried some crappy knife they bought at a gas station. Most did not carry fixed blades of any sort. The most common knives I saw were Swiss Army Knives, or Multi-Tools. After that came the various folders they bought at the PX - Spyderco among them. There is also something to be said about the warrior mentality that bayonet training helps to instill. Remember too, people use to say that there really was no need for soldiers to carry a knife as a weapon. This recent conflict, especially in the urban areas, has proven that wrong. Quite a few soldiers have had to use their knives as a weapon.

All that said, as much as I believe Spyderco could make a better bayonet, the government would still go with the lowest bidder. :)

P.S. I just noticed I used the term soldier, which refers to members of the Army. Just replace it with service member for a broader scope. Old habit.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich