Ti clip Barong

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Ti clip Barong

Post by toomzz »

Couple of months ago I purchased a 1mm sheet of titanium (thanks Jerry Brouwer!). I wanted to make some knifeclips out of it. I like the look of Ti and specifically wanted to make some deep-carry models. The Barong was my first victim to dress up with my creation :D

Ti is rather easy to work with. Drilling is the toughest, you have to drill right through otherwise, making it hot, it gets harder.
Bending it is easy as long as you heaten it up with a blowtorch properly.

This last picture was the initial model clip. It found out it was a little too big and it rested on the screw of the G10 (not visible). Therefore I made it smaller and a little shorter.
The clip is blasted with aluminum-oxide and lightly sanded with 600-800 grit paper. Heating it white-orange makes it dullgray, heating it up cooler will produce those yellow-blue-purple colors.

Enjoy, Tomas
Tom
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Hey Thomas
Nice work Stay on this way
Greetz from Austria
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Sweet! Nice work and nice mods on your Barong.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Very nice work Tomas. The curve of the clip compliments the handle shape very well. Next time you send me a package I may request you drop one of those in with it. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Thanks guys. One question, how do I harden this 6Al4V stuff, so the clip becomes stiffer? I mean, what is the best proper way?
Tom
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

toomzz wrote:Thanks guys. One question, how do I harden this 6Al4V stuff, so the clip becomes stiffer? I mean, what is the best proper way?
It will work-harden but that's a risk.

A quick google reveals that: Heat treat 904-954oC (1660-1750 F) for 2 hours followed by water quench.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/