Spyderco Endura and Delica = Universal Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Endura and Delica = Universal Knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know there are jobs for bigger and smaller knives, but when it comes to a "general purpose universal blade", would you say the Spyderco Delica, both the Emerson Wave and regular, apply, or not? If yes and no, please give reasons.

I lean towards the idea of yes: Here is why:

1 The cutting edge and geometry and VG10 steel of the Delica can be used for everything from paring fingernails and opening cans if necessary, to fighting off wild animals (to an extent), self defense, and opening mail. Maybe you would also pair it with an Endura.

2 Larger chores such as splitting wood, making shelters, and clearing brush, are best dealt with through specialized tools, like machetes, axes, and saws. I mean, in a pinch, you could probably baton a Delica through some things, and use it for kindling, but c`mon.

3 Skinning and butchering animals and fish could be done with a Delica and Endura.

Honestly, and I am not kidding at all, I believe Sal Glesser should receive the Nobel Prize in Engineering and Manufacturing.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If left to a Delica and Stretch all my needs would be met. The rest I buy for delusional reasoning and self-indulgence :) .
JoePepper

Post by JoePepper »

Blerv wrote:If left to a Delica and Stretch all my needs would be met. The rest I buy for delusional reasoning and self-indulgence :) .
+1
Rule#9:Never go anywhere without a Spyderco
Delica4 G-10, Delica4 BRG ZDP189, Delica4 Blue ZDP189,Delica4 SuperBlue,Delica4 Black VG-10,Stretch VG-10,Stretch Blue ZDP189,Manix2 CTS-XHP,Manix2 M4,Black Paramilitary2 S30V,Gray Paramilitary2 CTS20CP,Blue Paramilitary2 M390,Orange Paramilitary2CTS-XHP,Black Dragonfly2,Orange Dragonfly2 , Dragonfly2 G-10,Gayle Bradley M4, Superhawk VG-10,Native III VG-10,Sage I,Yellow Tasman Salt,Centofante 4
SpyderEdgeForever

Blerv the Stretch looks very cool. Thank you !

feuerfreiguy

Post by feuerfreiguy »

Blerv wrote:If left to a Delica and Stretch all my needs would be met. The rest I buy for delusional reasoning and self-indulgence :) .
+2. I Have a Delica in the mail right now from CutleryShoppe and after handling one in person I'm inclined to agree. It'll get 9 out of 10 jobs done that we would need a knife to do on a daily basis. None of us need the amount of knives we probably have (or would like to have) but these things just tend to multiply like rabbits :p
:spyder:Current Collection:Paramilitary 2, Delica 4, Mini Griptilian, SOG Flash II Tanto, Buck 119, Buck 110:spyder:
Incoming:Paramilitary 2 DLC
SpyderEdgeForever

Cutlery Shoppe is one of THE best Cutlery retailers in the world. I remember them back when they had a print catalog.

What if you could take one Spyderco, drop it in a container of metal-rich chemicals and voila, your Spydie multiplies like rabbits :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

you could say that about a lot of knives... my caly3, or N5, or gayle bradley, or para2 could all cover all my needs. even my southfork or smoke creek would work for everything
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yes you could say Delica is a fantastic general purpose knife.Sal was really visited by gods when designed it.I rotate a lot of spydies and I love a few you could say are excellent allarounders such as Para2 or Caly3 but there is something magic that makes me come back to my VG10 Delica or even to my ZDP18 one.But I dream of a Delica 5 generation with a 3mm thick ffg blade
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I know there are jobs for bigger and smaller knives, but when it comes to a "general purpose universal blade", would you say the Spyderco Delica, both the Emerson Wave and regular, apply, or not? If yes and no, please give reasons.
This is a good question! Personally I think it is difficult to call any blade universal because you have different edged weapon cultures in different parts of the world. For example, in Southeast Asia, where I'm from, the closest thing to a universal blade would probably be the parang (machete) used in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, south India and the Philippines. There is virtually no folding knife culture around here until you get to the Balisongs of the Philippines, and very little in the way of small fixed blades. At the same time there are lots of relatively large-bladed swords and knives, like the Malaysian kris and pedang (sword).

Just my two cents' worth, coming from a different part of the world :)
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I would say the Endura is Spyderco's most universal blade. I love the Delica (was my first Spyderco, carried non stop for 5 years) but the blade is a bit too short for cutting a large sandwich in half, while the Endura is just right for the task.

If you get a chance to own a G10 model, I highly recommend them.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I need a delica. I miss mine.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

My brown Delica 4 and my stretch VG10 combo-edge would take care of 99.9% of my cutting tasks, but variety is the spice of life!!! :spyder: :D
kromo

Post by kromo »

My purple Delica 4 would take care of 99.99% of my cutting tasks. why ?!? because i have it always on my pocket.
Never go out without a delica on your pocket...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I say a Salt 1 plain edge and Endura would be my team, if I could only pick 2. Salt 1 has a stronger blade than the Delica - that's why for that one. The Endura is just such a great knife. Even with a FFG, it's strong. I love them.
- best wishes, Jazz.