Confessional, and pity accepted.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Qcrazy

Confessional, and pity accepted.

Post by Qcrazy »

I collect (accumulate) knives, there are some that I use though the majority are for fondling and looking at. I keep my boxes, a spreadsheet, and many pictures. Now for the pity part! I've misplaced a knife, not just any knife, a hard to come by, and now expensive knife. When I picked it up it was as much as I had ever spent on a knife and a lot of money to me especially since I knew it was a dust gatherer. I looked at the knife about a month ago since a friend told me of a redesign that had greatly increased in value. I am tearing my hair out trying to locate this knife. I've been through drawers, cabinets, and my collection more times than I can count, rehashing where I could have put it. To compound my problem my wife and I decided to retire and move so we bought another house this last summer and have been packing and moving lots of stuff. We've had our house on the market and thought it would sell fairly quickly. Needless to say no sale yet, so here we are living or better put semi-living in two places. Since this house hasn't sold we are back here for the winter and closed up the other house, and I've continued to work. So how many of us have put an item in a safe place, and now can't remember where we put it? My only hope is that when we finally do move and clean out drawers and cabinets, the knife finally shows up. Thanks for letting me whine! Off I go to once again retrace my steps and tear this place apart. Every day is a new day when dealing with senility.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Happens to me all the time. ;)

It'll turn up.

Ken
玉鋼
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Have you asked your friend about it? Maybe he remembers where you put it after showing him the knife?
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Have you checked between the couch cushions? #1 place for all missing items ever. I lose the remote between them every **** day.
Silentman

Post by Silentman »

What Kbuzbee said, it will turn up when its ready. Dont worry, happens to me all the time!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I must know! What knife is it???
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The key to finding it, is buying the replacement. As soon as the transaction occurs, the old one shows up immediately
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am sorry for you trouble. I hope the knife will show up. Good luck with you house sale.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Good luck I recently had something similar happen but it did turn up when I thought all was lost. Good luck and don't give up hope.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:The key to finding it, is buying the replacement. As soon as the transaction occurs, the old one shows up immediately
Hahahahaha!! ^ this!

Probably buried in one of those boxes. Good luck.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Thanks all for the support. To answer a few questions. The friend wasn't with me when I ogled it last. I was in my office/man cave so no couch or cushions though I will look through the house couches just because. The knife is/was a ZT 0777CB, I collect mostly Spyderco though every once in a while another company comes up with a knife I want to have. As to buying another to make this one show up is not a bad idea, this trick worked recently with a camera my wife misplaced. Thanks all, I'll yell from the rooftops when I find this knife. Most of you should be able to hear me.
remnar

Post by remnar »

This recently happened to me. I just moved and still have most of my stuff in boxes stacked in the garage. I couldn't find my Pro-Venator that I've owned and carried for close to 18 years. I don't think the knife has any substantial value other than sentimental, but it was driving me crazy. I kept looking over and over again in all of the boxes and other places where I thought it might be. After about two weeks I came up with a new place to look and sure enough, there it was. Good luck with your search.

-remnar
Donut

Post by Donut »

When you took it out to look at, did you take out two models to compare? Maybe you put it in the other box.

So, the knife AND the box are missing? If so, try to re-enact where you would put something down at near where you were looking at it and try to think of odd places you could have set it down. On top of something, next to something. Check under smaller things that could have moved ontop of it, like a magazine or news paper.

Best of luck!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The way i figure it, your spydies had a meeting and exiled the zt. They are usually tolerant of other knives, but in a case like this...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'm currently in a similar boat....There's a Hattori Mini Fighter in a sheath in the house somewhere....Definately...Where precisely has elluded me- meaning I'm now planning another rummage through the gearpile on Saturday.

It might not be an uber-rare piece of awesome, but the fact that it's current defying all effort to track down leads me to believe that it's actively avoiding me. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Clipped or stuffed in a pair of trousers, bag or jacket that you havent worn or used a while. And check your carseat!
Tom
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Oh, we know that feeling:
My wife does this with a Rolex her mom gave her when we got married. It only gets worn once or twice a year, and gets placed in what seems like a different "someplace special" in a 15' radius after each wearing. I think one time it took us 6 months to find.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Nice to see that I'm not alone in this problem. I really giggled about the Spyderco gang theory. I keep them separated just so this type of antisocial behavior doesn't happen. Spydies out number the others by a staggering amount. Thanks Happy Thanksgiving!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The two knives that I'm still trying to find are an original C95 Manix and a PPT. They're around here somewhere.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Whenever I miss a piece of gear, it's always at 'that place I put it to make sure I wouldn't lose it'. Usually, I remember that only after hours of looking and thinking.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram