Hey Sal, when can we expect to see FFG Manix 2s?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Hey Sal, when can we expect to see FFG Manix 2s?

Post by Evil D »

I understand new models take time to get out into circulation, but that seems more like a rolling CQI to me. Can we expect to see this soon?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Superleaf! :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

eric m. wrote:Superleaf! :)
Are we playing word association? lol

The Superleaf is discontinued, and doesn't have a ball bearing lock. If I wanted FFG and a compression lock, I'd just carry a Para 2.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The extinction of the hollow-ground Golden will be on your head, David. :p ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:The extinction of the hollow-ground Golden will be on your head, David. :p ;)
MUAHAHAHAAAA! lol

It is inevitable...
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would expect them sometime before 2018. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Superleaf and Manix blade shape are very similar! You can still get the superleaf! ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:MUAHAHAHAAAA! lol

It is inevitable...
And we will all be assimilated! If the move to a FFG is an foreboding sign of things to come, things certainly could be worse... I applaud David for keeping the course on this, now if just Sal could give us am inkling of when we might start to see these at our favorite dealers. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I will also get an ffg model, but only one!!! :rolleyes:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

... of each color... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I would love to know this as well! Because let's be honest, this is what the Manix2 should have been all along.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Maybe in 10 years we'll be asking for a hollow ground sprint run :P
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I look at the manix2(G10) as a double-duty knife, EDC and self-defense! If you want a slicing manix2 get the lightweight! Or you can also pick up one of the sprint run knives! Ah diversity, it is the spice of life!!! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

eric m. wrote:I look at the manix2(G10) as a double-duty knife, EDC and self-defense! If you want a slicing manix2 get the lightweight! Or you can also pick up one of the sprint run knives! Ah diversity, it is the spice of life!!! :D
+1
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:And we will all be assimilated! If the move to a FFG is an foreboding sign of things to come, things certainly could be worse... I applaud David for keeping the course on this, now if just Sal could give us am inkling of when we might start to see these at our favorite dealers. :)
I think some blade shapes just naturally lend themselves to looking good with a certain grind type. Like the Southard looks great IMO with it's grind and a FFG would lose some of the character. Whereas leaf shaped blades seem to just look 'right' with a FFG. Maybe that's why the Native 3 and old Manix 2 never quite looked right to me.
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

I totally support the switch to FFG, the only Golden Hollow grind I still want is the Native, A FFG Manix 2 would not only be a better slicer but also be a lighter option without sacrificing the G-10 scales.
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Am I not safe to assume the spine thickness stays the same as on the hollow grind? If so, this knife loses nothing in strength IMO
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I would like to get my hands on that Blue G10 Manix 2..
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

ZL1, the blue sprint Manix is sweet! twinboysdad, I don't think you can go from a hollow grind manix profiled blade to FFG without a loss of lateral strength! Too much steel removed! And no I'm not willing to put each knife in a vise to prove it! :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm pretty sure the minute the FFG model comes out, we'll see a number of people coming here asking where they can get a Saber ground model. The description of the Manix 2 being a harder use knife has saber grind written all over it.

I wonder how much the price is going to change.

Really, it doesn't seem like there are enough Saber ground S30V models out there to be releasing the production FFG S30V model.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!