"Public friendly" small EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leon

"Public friendly" small EDC

Post by Leon »

Hi guys,

What's your opinion on which of the three below is the best small EDC?
something to carry, big enough to be useful but small enough to avoid getting weird looks from the public (well, coworkers :D )

-CAT 440C, G-10 handle
-Chicago 440C, G-10 handle
-Dragonfly 2 VG-10 with FRN handle

All 3 are roughly the same price here in Canada.

thanks!!
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Of the three....dragonfly 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Throwing an odd one into the mix you might consider the Pingo. Per ounce and blade inch it's an insane cutter...strangely friendly too :) .
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Get the cat! Very sturdy knife, steel liners, G10 handles. A definitely under-appreciated knife!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dragonfly.

But I'll second the Pingo. It's the most useful non-locker I have, and my first choice for carrying in unfriendly jurisdictions.
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

The Cricket. It is thin, light, cute, small, and stylish, even in stainless steel, and it is definitely beautiful dressed in either blue or black carbon fiber. The Cricket can do pretty much anything you need an EDC knife to do, and more if it has to.
The best daily part about owning a Cricket is that you willl wear it Cricket everywhere you go but forget that you are carrying it, until you need it, and then it is there.
Of the three models you mentioned above, Leon, the Dragonfly in either FRN (strong but lightweight) or the Tattoo (pretty stainless steel) version is probably the best choice for your situation, but I suggest that the Cricket also merits serious consideration.
Or as the saying here goes...get all of them. :)
PS: Sal, I want to write your ad copy...perhaps we could work something out - I am willing to work for knives.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Leon wrote: big enough to be useful but small enough to avoid getting weird looks from the public
I would say the Dragonfly - the CATs that I have handled do not have jimping on the thumb ramp which to me is quite a miss.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...mini persian 2....dico'ed but still around...
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Dragonfly for keyring and Caly 3.5 for pocket
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

Out of your three, I'd go for the D'fly 2...

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

DFly's are my small EDC, and secondary if I carry a Military or other larger folder.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Dragonfly of course, and probably an orange FRN one since it certainly doesn't look "menacing" in that color.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It doesn't get much more innocent looking than a yellow H1 Dragonfly. Maybe a yellow Ladybug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd rate them all about equal on the "non-threatening" scale but the truth is that anyone who feels threatened by any knife that size will feel threatened by every knife that size.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

glbpro wrote:I would say the Dragonfly - the CATs that I have handled do not have jimping on the thumb ramp which to me is quite a miss.
They have jimping now.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Xcellent

Post by Xcellent »

CanadaDude wrote:The Cricket. It is thin, light, cute, small, and stylish, even in stainless steel, and it is definitely beautiful dressed in either blue or black carbon fiber. The Cricket can do pretty much anything you need an EDC knife to do, and more if it has to.
The best daily part about owning a Cricket is that you willl wear it Cricket everywhere you go but forget that you are carrying it, until you need it, and then it is there.
+1 for the Cricket, carrying it everyday and not noticing it until I need it. Definitely getting the blue nishijin one as well.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Dragonfly-2, definitely. I currently have the FRN version, but will own the G10 one soon.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Out of these three- dragonfly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Xcellent wrote:+1 for the Cricket, carrying it everyday and not noticing it until I need it. Definitely getting the blue nishijin one as well.
The cricket is great. I'd never trade it for a Balance, but it's excellent in it's own right.

Ken
玉鋼
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Another vote here for the Dragonfly. I agree with Blerv's assessment on the Pingo, but still would choose the Dragonfly by a small margin.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill