"Public friendly" small EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

out of those 3, i vote the dragonfly, but id recommend u check out the chaparral series :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Leon

Post by Leon »

Thanks for the input guys!

About the Pingo, it seems like a very good knife indeed but I think I prefer a one-hand opening knife with a nice lock..
and the Cricket seems "cute" but I'm not a HUGE fan of the blade shape :(

So seems like DF2 is winning!
and the Orange FRN looks pretty awesome!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Can't go wrong with the DragonFly. Plus, you can get it in ZDP-189, which is an extraordinary steel - and soon in SuperBlue, which is also pretty cool.

You might also look at the Balance while it is still around - it is a very small, lightweight folder - and extremely "cute".

TedP
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

I have been carrying the G-10 Dragonfly ever since I got it and is my current favorite. If I was working construction again the Sage 1 would be my favorite since I would constantly be using it, but my current job doesn't require anything large. The small size has been more useful to my needs and I every time I take it out at work, everyone likes it and wants to check it out. That's public friendly.

Most people seem to want one until I tell them the price and then they think I'm a chump for getting ripped off. They have no idea what it is or what Spyderco is and I work in Boulder, CO about 10 miles from the Spydie Factory Outlet.

Dragonfly has great ergos and cutting ability. Very public friendly. I would replace this knife with no hesitation if lost or broken, etc.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

It doesn't get much less threatening than a pink Squeak. That is why mine gets so much pocket time. :)
Leon

Post by Leon »

Foghorne wrote:Most people seem to want one until I tell them the price and then they think I'm a chump for getting ripped off
:D you should see the looks I get when I tell someone how much I paid for a knife as small as the Manbug :D
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Ambition shouldn't be overlooked, it's a really nice sized small knife and won't raise any eyebrows. It also feels really solid in the hand.

But unless your management is really anti-knife I wouldn't worry about it too much. Coworkers always end up needing to cut something. At least two of my coworkers carry knives now that didn't use to (and they're both Spyderco knvies).
All God's critters have knives.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I know its not in your OP, but consider the Techno. Its an eclectic girthy little oddball, but since picking it up I just can't put it down. Worth a serious look.
Leon

Post by Leon »

hunterseeker5 wrote:I know its not in your OP, but consider the Techno. Its an eclectic girthy little oddball, but since picking it up I just can't put it down. Worth a serious look.
Unfortunately it's way out of my budget :(
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Dragonfly, out of what you are considering.

It's not a Spydie, but if you want a VERY "non-knife-people" friendly knife, how about the Victorinox Tinker?
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Given the three you asked about the dragonfly all the way. If it does not have to be G10 then per a few other folks look for the yellow or orange frn.

A jester might also be worth a look if you can find one as they are discontinued.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Jester for sure if you can find one as a keychain knife...otherwise I recommend a Ladybug. If you want a basic clipit, go for a FRN Dragonfly...if you want something a bit dressier go for a CF Chaparral. Very durable knife, is definitely classier than a FRN model, and the Chaparral takes up less pocket space than the Dragonfly (Most noticeable at the pocket opening). The Chaparral is my top recommendation for a small public friendly EDC. I've had non knife people ask to see mine just because it looks cool.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Of the three, the Dragonfly. :) If not, then I'd go with a Manbug (in ZDP-189). Beyond that, I'd echo brother Ken and go with a Balance. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am probably the only one who will push for the stainless handled Dragonfly. In a knife that small, the ss handle doesn't slip and it gives the knife a really robust feeling. The only complaint is no jimping on the ss model. The G10 is everything I like about Spyderco too, but someone gifted me a SS Dfly and it is a good knife that can be engraved
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Dragonfly 2 from your initial list, but the Cricket is outstanding.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Take into consideration that bright colored handle material seem to attract less attention than "tactical" colors. People see an all black evil blade that will jump out of your pocket by it's self or they see a pretty orange, pink, yellow, purple piece of plastics clip to your pocket and think "Wow that guy has a rainbow in his pocket" and move on...
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

Another vote for the D-Fly in orange from a fellow Canuck!
:spyder:
Leon

Post by Leon »

Awesome suggestions guys!

Reading all the replies, I'm definitely leaning towards the DF2 :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've been yammering for Sal to make the Pingo in pink for a while - mostly just because it's so fun to say!

PINK PINGO PINK PINGO PINK PINGO! :cool:

TedP
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

If you hold a dragonfly, you'll love it. It fits surprisingly well in hand for what looks to be a small knife. Personally, I plan on picking up a G-10 model some point early next year because I like G-10 and don't mind the weight trade-off for a sturdier knife. At 2 oz, it's not like the G-10 version is heavy at all anyway. Down the line, maybe get a superblue sprint too!