Any tips for a new ZDP owner?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

Any tips for a new ZDP owner?

Post by wmcilvain »

how bad it the corrosion issue as i will be using it like my old delica?
anything anyone else wants to let me know? all and any is welcome
would it help if i polished it up with some Flitz? or is it too hard to polish
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

You can always get some tuff glide. Zdp is stainless tho if you just take care of it, wipe it down after uses with food or if it gathers sweat. Other than that I have a zdp ladybug I've never done anything to and it stays on my keychain and is flawless.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don't let it scare you. It's a nice steel. I find it easy to sharpen. I also love the ever so slight patina or darkening it gets with use - just enough to give it a manly steel look. Keep it clean and dry like you should with any knife, and there'll be no problems.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Like Jazz said it's mostly prone to "haze" a bit. I've seen pitting but usually from heavy sweat or citrus left on the blade. Mineral oil would be overkill for most folks; Tuf-Wipe/Glide even better.

Oh and touch it up occasionally on the white stones.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I find the ZDP rust/tarnish issue is way overblown. I have many knives in L7, 1084 etc., and with a little care I have zero issues.
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

i know the hardness is really high but would a dremel and some Flitz be helpful? i know i am overblowing it bc I am sure I will wipe it down like usual and probably be ok
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wouldn't power tool it. Your at the least going to get uneven marks. Better to up the grit and use broad strokes if fits isn't working.
Holland

Post by Holland »

For a new owner, my number one tip would be: DON'T LET IT GET DULL :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Holland wrote:For a new owner, my number one tip would be: DON'T LET IT GET DULL :D
^^^This!.
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Yes, sharpening any blade is an art; sharpening a super steel such as s30v requires both art and specific tools. ZDP...that blade must either never get used or never get dull - just as it is difficult to dull, it is equally difficult to sharpen.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Never had a problem on a gatco system, it makes a big burr so be mindful of this, when people talk of it being difficult to sharpen i think its in reference to creating a wire edge, if u strop well after it shouldnt be an issue.
Other than than enjoy the **** out of this steel, i waaaay prefer it to s30v, it refuses to dull. My zdp delica has absolute seniority in my pocket, despite the sprints ive been throwing at it. No rust issues with it, but i always wipe the blade off after use, and it never sees blood which is said to provoke rust like nothing else...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Aggressive cutting stones, light pressure, let the stones do the work, avoid burrs at all costs. Use a sharpie to make sure you're hitting the edge, and use s bright light to check for dull spots as you go so you don't overdo it and make a burr.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

I would say be cautious when cutting harder materials like hard plastic, concrete bags and the like, and microbevels always help. Dont let anything you may have heard about chipping or rust scare you from using it, after all what good are high end supersteels if we arent willing to use them to their maximum potential.