What oil do you use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Henry - get both wrote:Forehead oil is awesome for getting tape residue off. Just swipe your fingers across your forehead then rub the residue off with those fingers.
Hmm, that's a good idea. I've used peanut butter before to get really stubborn stickers or residue off. It's deliciously effective!
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

I was using Ballistol and was spraying some of pivots once a month. Ordered some nano-oil that came in last Friday. Been thumb flicking my Dragonfly all weekend, something I didn't do much before due to stiffness. Sage 1 seemed to flick much better after sitting overnight. I like it and will buy another tube after my nephew talks me out of this one.

Haven't tried other oils so I can't say if nano-oil is better, but I'm very happy with the results.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just daydreaming about things you could use as lube that are food safe.... I bet non stick cooking spray would work crazy good. I wonder if that stuff spoils over time? I think I'm going to try it. A can of Pam will probably last forever too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Evil D wrote:I was just daydreaming about things you could use as lube that are food safe.... I bet non stick cooking spray would work crazy good. I wonder if that stuff spoils over time? I think I'm going to try it. A can of Pam will probably last forever too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jalcon wrote:Image
Mmmmm......lube..... :drool:
~David
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Nano Oil works really well for me. I use it on everything around the house and the lub lasts a long time.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Either mineral oil or 3-in-One oil. I sometimes use Tuf-Glide on the blade of stuff like D2 or M4.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Miltec for pivots and mineral oil for blade protection that will see kitchen duty.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I don't use very much oil but when I do I use plain old 3 in 1 oil. I had to learn the hard way that oil is the very worst thing you can possibly do for classic slip joints with Brass liners and natural handle materials. Oil attracts moisture thus the spots of rust that start to form on the top and bottom of the Brass liners. Also it will discolor Bone and Stag. I realize you don't have those things to worry about with Spyderco's but thought I might help someone prevent a huge disappointment someday. Use nothing but Renwax on the classics.
Pretty sure the opposite is true.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Apologies in advance for the silly question. I have a new Millie cru-wear that will be sitting in its box for the next month until Xmas :)
Do I need to protect the blade while it is being stored? The only thing I have in the house right now is 3 in 1 silicone spray. Is that ok at least for the month? The blade no longer has the factory lube that was on the blade, but there should still be some in the pivot. Help as usual is appreciated.

Thanks.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Cobra, it should work fine if you make sure you have got any and all salts and acids off that might have got on the blade. Fingerprints or skin ( palm) smears can put salt on your blade.

Always clean the blade before coating it if it's going into storage for more than a day or three.

BTW, even paste wax from your car works great for storing blades in most situations. I also use silicone and find it works fine.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I must be lucky, also where I live helps. I have many carbon knives and some hawks. L6, 1095/1084, 1080 etc and I have zero rusting issues as long as I wipe down after use. Even storage is not an issue. I have a hawk with an L6 bit sandwiched between 1018 that I keep in our earthquake kit. After a year sitting in the garage in a bin with only a simple oil wipedown, it is still rust free. I also have an extensive firearm collection and have never had an issue with rust.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

I have tried a lot of oils, I do not care about food safety, because only the pivot and washers are lubed. My favorite oil at the time is Hoppes Elite Gun Oil, quite good stuff :)

Oliver
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Mastiff wrote:Cobra, it should work fine if you make sure you have got any and all salts and acids off that might have got on the blade. Fingerprints or skin ( palm) smears can put salt on your blade.

Always clean the blade before coating it if it's going into storage for more than a day or three.

BTW, even paste wax from your car works great for storing blades in most situations. I also use silicone and find it works fine.

Joe
Thanks for that. I washed it with water, gave it a good wipe down with a towel, applied the silicone and put it away. So I should be good.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I did some research on what's in non stick cooking spray and it's basically just an emulsion of canola oil in water, so basically if it works as a lube it's the same as using canola oil, and I'd be concerned about deliberately spraying water into my pivot even if it has oil in it. Oh well.
~David