What oil do you use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Blue lube
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Just mineral.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Is nano oil miles ahead of tuff glide when it comes to lubing the moving parts? I.e., smoothness of opening, closing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jalcon wrote:Is nano oil miles ahead of tuff glide when it comes to lubing the moving parts? I.e., smoothness of opening, closing.
Most lubes are.

I've been using Triflow.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

ist lubes are better than tuff glide for that? Lol pisses me off, I bought tuff glide a few months ago solely bc everyone raved about how buttery smooth their knives were from it on the Amazon reviews, lol.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I started using Soy Lube SL-100 a few years ago. A non-toxic, soy based lube. Smells like oranges and has replace WD-40 around my house. If I had not found SL-100, I'd be using mineral oil on my blades.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I have used Many (Militec, Blue Lube, Tuff Glide...and the list goes on. Right now, I'm using Weapon shield. I use Frog Lube on my guns, but haven't tried it on the knives yet.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

You guys that are naming your preferred oil/lubricant should really specify if your talking about protecting the blade steel or making the pivot/action smoother.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jalcon wrote:You guys that are naming your preferred oil/lubricant should really specify if your talking about protecting the blade steel or making the pivot/action smoother.
Well, if people ask what lube I'm using, I refer to the pivot because flat surfaces with no moving parts like a blade don't need lubed lol. If someone asks what I use for rust prevention then I tell them Tuff Glide.

Tuff Glide is better than no lube at all, so if a person went from nothing to Tuff Glide then yeah I'd say it's buttery smooth. It's all about perspective. Plus as far as amazon goes I take those reviews and with a grain of salt. Most people either have little experience or give a good review seconds after their first use and usually after paying a bunch of money. I have about a year's worth of use with Tuff Glide and can say two things. 1, it doesn't rust PROOF anything, and is only as effective as the blade is clean before applying. I had rust form on my M4 even with a patina just one day after applying Tuff Glide. I assumed it was because it had already started forming before I put it on. And 2, it's primary function is corrosion prevention, not lubrication. If you were in an environment where rust was a serious issue and your pivot was likely to be wet a lot, I'd use it as a pivot lube. Otherwise I use a dedicated lube.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

I use Ballistol for most things... Sometimes High-Tef(lon)-Oil...

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Rusty's Rags for all my handguns and knives.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Nano-Oil for all pivots, and Corrosion-X for flats on non-stainless steels (O-1, 1095, 52100, etc).
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nano-oil on the pivot, tuff glide on the blades (except for food prep folders, which I just keep very clean and spot the pivot with Nano-oil after cleaning with hot soapy water).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

I hear so much about nano oil in the knife world but I just cant get over their marketing. Im sure the product works well but all the benefits they claim to be from their diamonds sounds an awful lot like what Royal Purple calls "synerlec technology" or what weapons shield calls "advanced boundary film technology".

"Royal Purple’s proprietary, Synerlec additive lubricant technology is the cornerstone of the product line. Synerlec creates an ionic bond that adheres to metal parts to provide continuous protection even at start-up. This ionic bond keeps a lubricating film on the surface of metal long after ordinary lubricants would have been squeezed out by pressure and heat. Additionally, Synerlec-enhanced lubricants actually improve metal surfaces by responding to increased pressure with increased viscosity until the metal peaks (asperities) undergo deformation and flow into the low spots. Over time, the metal surface becomes extremely smooth and can even develop a mirror-like surface. Synerlec also increases the useful life of the oil with it oxidation resistance."

"Weapons Shield's characteristics are "electro-negative", which causes it to seek out and affix itself to the metallic surface areas. During this process, surface smoothing is accomplished, resulting in improved spread characteristics of the surfaces themselves. The final state of the opposing metal surfaces increases the fluid film strength even more, resulting in greatly reduced wear while imparting extreme pressure (EP) properties to the opposing metal surfaces. The result is a virtual elimination of frictional wear and significant cooling of the entire lubricated area yielding higher energy savings and reduced metallic debris and acids in the oil. This is extensively proven through elemental oil analysis and Ferrography of the used oil, before and after the use of Steel Shield Advanced Boundary Film Technology."

FWIW I use Weapons shield on the pivot and wipe off the excess.
mainaman

Post by mainaman »

Henry - get both wrote:I hear so much about nano oil in the knife world but I just cant get over their marketing. Im sure the product works well but all the benefits they claim to be from their diamonds sounds an awful lot like what Royal Purple calls "synerlec technology" or what weapons shield calls "advanced boundary film technology".

"Royal Purple’s proprietary, Synerlec additive lubricant technology is the cornerstone of the product line. Synerlec creates an ionic bond that adheres to metal parts to provide continuous protection even at start-up. This ionic bond keeps a lubricating film on the surface of metal long after ordinary lubricants would have been squeezed out by pressure and heat. Additionally, Synerlec-enhanced lubricants actually improve metal surfaces by responding to increased pressure with increased viscosity until the metal peaks (asperities) undergo deformation and flow into the low spots. Over time, the metal surface becomes extremely smooth and can even develop a mirror-like surface. Synerlec also increases the useful life of the oil with it oxidation resistance."

"Weapons Shield's characteristics are "electro-negative", which causes it to seek out and affix itself to the metallic surface areas. During this process, surface smoothing is accomplished, resulting in improved spread characteristics of the surfaces themselves. The final state of the opposing metal surfaces increases the fluid film strength even more, resulting in greatly reduced wear while imparting extreme pressure (EP) properties to the opposing metal surfaces. The result is a virtual elimination of frictional wear and significant cooling of the entire lubricated area yielding higher energy savings and reduced metallic debris and acids in the oil. This is extensively proven through elemental oil analysis and Ferrography of the used oil, before and after the use of Steel Shield Advanced Boundary Film Technology."

FWIW I use Weapons shield on the pivot and wipe off the excess.
I searched and found some threads on other forums about Nano-oil, people really like what it does.
Henry - get both

Im sure its awesome.
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

jalcon wrote:ist lubes are better than tuff glide for that? Lol pisses me off, I bought tuff glide a few months ago solely bc everyone raved about how buttery smooth their knives were from it on the Amazon reviews, lol.
jalcon; I bought Tuff Glide because a year ago everybody on this site said it's good. All they talked about was Nano Oil and Tuff Glide.

Rem Oil was the rave on the AR-15 sites, now they say don't use it. I have to agree on that one though.

Of course, I haven't used the Tuff Glide yet. All my Spydercos work fine without any lube so far.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

jnichols2 wrote:jalcon; I bought Tuff Glide because a year ago everybody on this site said it's good. All they talked about was Nano Oil and Tuff Glide.

Rem Oil was the rave on the AR-15 sites, now they say don't use it. I have to agree on that one though.

Of course, I haven't used the Tuff Glide yet. All my Spydercos work fine without any lube so far.
Lol exactly! I remember searching this site and bladeforums about it. I bought it, used it..found it to be ok.

Now I come to find everyone thinks it sucks as a lubricant, lol.

Oh well, I just ordered some Nano-Oil.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I was reading on a forum (can't remember which, maybe even this one) that someone used oil from their nose as a polish for their knife. So, after a few days of use I noticed my PM2 had some inconsistent coloration on the DLC, patches of lighter and darker black that was kind of bugging me. I thought, what the ****, it's free and as long as no one sees me, then its just my dirty little secret. So I rubbed the bridge of my nose a few times with my finger and then rubbed the blade and I was surprised that it actually WORKED and smoothed out the color and left it a nice flat black. A couple days later, I tried it on my Sage 1 and it also worked to help the blade look beautiful and clean. It's really weird, and honestly I can understand why someone wouldn't do it, but it does actually work believe it or not. Just don't rub the knife directly on your nose, that's just asking for all sorts of trouble.
Henry - get both

Syncharmony wrote:I was reading on a forum (can't remember which, maybe even this one) that someone used oil from their nose as a polish for their knife. So, after a few days of use I noticed my PM2 had some inconsistent coloration on the DLC, patches of lighter and darker black that was kind of bugging me. I thought, what the ****, it's free and as long as no one sees me, then its just my dirty little secret. So I rubbed the bridge of my nose a few times with my finger and then rubbed the blade and I was surprised that it actually WORKED and smoothed out the color and left it a nice flat black. A couple days later, I tried it on my Sage 1 and it also worked to help the blade look beautiful and clean. It's really weird, and honestly I can understand why someone wouldn't do it, but it does actually work believe it or not. Just don't rub the knife directly on your nose, that's just asking for all sorts of trouble.
Forehead oil is awesome for getting tape residue off. Just swipe your fingers across your forehead then rub the residue off with those fingers.