What oil do you use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

What oil do you use?

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Just curious as to what oil(s) everyone uses, as it occurred to me that maybe there is something better than what I use, which is Hoppe's #9 gun oil. Works well on both my firearms and knives. But my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Leon

Post by Leon »

I usually just use mineral oil
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Ballistol for the blade, I purchased Bluelube and CRK grease so those are what I have right now for the pivot.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

The mineral oil I have for my whet stone(s) doesn't seem to soak into the steel. It just pools on top of it, like water.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Has or any one use Frog-Lube?? Seems real pricey but was wondering if it was worth(??) it... John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Someone here does use Frog-lube. Don't remember who. I use Nano-oil on pivots and Tuf-Glide on blades and things for corrosion control. Tuf-Glide is an ok lube at best but great for fighting rust. Nano-oil is an outstanding lubricant, especially for places where a lot of pressure is required. Far more pressure than is in a knife pivot. So, IMO that makes it far better than needed (overkill) which is always good IMO. Not the cheapest oil but it lasts.

Jack
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Froglube and it's food safe.Good stuff!
mainaman

Post by mainaman »

For pivot mainly Finish Line Extrem Fluoro (same as CRK grease) and much cheaper.
On my razors I use Ballistol fro long term storage and it works awesome.
Just got Frog Lube last week, not sure how well it will work, it seems a bit thin for pivot applications, but I may be wrong.
APS

Post by APS »

Either miltec-1 or FP-10 b/c that's what I have for lubing my guns.
Adam
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yeah, Im getting that FinishLine grease once the CRK runs out. I want to try nano oil also for when I want to go with a fluid.

You guys should give Ballistol a shot. Great for firearms, blades, and treats most any metal. After some applications, it leaves a sort of finish to the blade, closest reaction I can think of that is similar is like how a cast iron pan is seasoned. Keeps corrosion off and is food safe.
jul

Post by jul »

Victorinox oil! food safe and approved on millions of SAKs ;)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I don't use very much oil but when I do I use plain old 3 in 1 oil. I had to learn the hard way that oil is the very worst thing you can possibly do for classic slip joints with Brass liners and natural handle materials. Oil attracts moisture thus the spots of rust that start to form on the top and bottom of the Brass liners. Also it will discolor Bone and Stag. I realize you don't have those things to worry about with Spyderco's but thought I might help someone prevent a huge disappointment someday. Use nothing but Renwax on the classics.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

None
paladin

Post by paladin »

jackknifeh wrote:Someone here does use Frog-lube. Don't remember who. I use Nano-oil on pivots and Tuf-Glide on blades and things for corrosion control. Tuf-Glide is an ok lube at best but great for fighting rust. Nano-oil is an outstanding lubricant, especially for places where a lot of pressure is required. Far more pressure than is in a knife pivot. So, IMO that makes it far better than needed (overkill) which is always good IMO. Not the cheapest oil but it lasts.

Jack
There's several of us who use FrogLube, it's a little pricey and a little bit goes a long, long way. I can vouch for Nano-oil also. It is somewhat expensive as lubes go. But you use it very sparingly. Under normal circumstances one vial should last, most of us, a lifetime. My favorite application for FrogLube is "seasoning" the liners of my Militaries. It's probably overkill to lube Spyders any at all, but I find satisfaction in using it.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No lubricant at all most of the time, mineral oil on the rare occasions when I do.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

Mineral Oil.

I imagine a whole lot of different oils on the market by various companies are nothing more than mineral oil packaged with their company logo on it. I do know that Hoppes #9 lubricating oil is nothing more than plain old White mineral oil.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DWW wrote:Mineral Oil.

I imagine a whole lot of different oils on the market by various companies are nothing more than mineral oil packaged with their company logo on it. I do know that Hoppes #9 lubricating oil is nothing more than plain old White mineral oil.
Lots of products like that I bet. My wife when she was really young worked in a orange juice plant one summer. The huge vats of OJ were filling cans but the labels would change from one brand to another.

Jack
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I use mineral oil as needed (if I have a stubborn pivot or after a cleaning). It's cheap, safe, and it works OK.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I love FP-10. I use it on folders, SAKs, my patio door track, and my garage door track and wheels. It's great for keeping deadbolts and locks working smooth too, especially padlocks that are out in the elements 27/4
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I use Sentry Tuff Glide and Sentry Tuff Cloth on all knives.