What was your first pocket Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
APS

Post by APS »

My first knife was a "Materhorn" Sharp brand SAK copy that my Dad bought for me when I was 5. Quite a few knives later and my first Spydie was a fully serrated Endura ~1991.
Adam
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A very old german slipjoint, my grandpa gave it to me. It was given to him by a german soldier during second world war.Very similar to modern Victorinox Spartan.Amazing quality for such an old folder.Incredible for me was the fact that it had no blade play up and down or side to side.I lost it like an idiot.Later, I was caught in the Spyderco vortex.My first Spyderco was my beloved Police SS, SE.An older model in black box, with no spyder logo on the blade.
uncleknife

Post by uncleknife »

Gerber LST, first commercial zytel handled folder.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I have fond memories of that time 1966.
I was a cowboy then & rode a brumby bike, wore red & blue leather chaps with the silver studs & tassles with a single holster. In that holster rode a big pearl handled chrome six shooter that shot cap rolls & in my pocket was a matching knife.
The blade would have been a good four inches & looks like a Buck 110 & the handle the same length. I saw it again recently while visiting my mum & it is every bit the big knife I remember with its pressed tin bolsters & imitation plastic type white pearl scales. As others have said, probably made in Japan. I remember mum got it for me from Coles back when they were discount variety & not the big food supermarket like now
I was the flash nick cowboy at all the local forts & much laughed at by the big girls, but I don't care because my mother loved me & she was the one who kitted me out. She still has the chaps six shooter & knife.
O.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My very first pocketknife was a bolstered Camillus Electrician's Knife (locking spear point blade plus flathead screwdriver of same length); I got it in the early 60s.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

My first pocket knife was a small Frost Cutlery knife, with gray plastic handles and a clear red button that disengaged the paper-thin liner lock. I got it when my Grandpa passed away, when I was 12 or so.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My first pocket knife was in 1968 or thereabouts, a bone scaled carbon steel Henckels two bladed penknife, given me by my father. I still have it, due in part to the fact that I got a Victorinox Spartan a few years later that became my EDC, relegating the penknife to a drawer. It is a very nice knife even now, and I still carry it on special occasions.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orangeneck

Post by Orangeneck »

A BSA knife at age 10, then a Buck 501 after grad school; carried the latter for 30 years until I decided it was time to upgrade to something that can take a sharper edge and hold it. Went through a series of junk knives until I bought a Delica....
James Y

Post by James Y »

My first was a very old Camillus scout-type pocketknife from my dad. The blades and springs were very rusted; the main blade was sharpened so far down that the point stuck out of the handle in the closed position. Some of the blades were near-impossible to open. It had dark wooden scales. This was in early 1977.

Not long after, I wanted my very own knife, and went to the hardware store and bought a large, square-bolstered Schrade/Walden stockman for about $13. It was beautiful and sharp as heck, but the steel began rusting immediately just by carrying it. As a kid, that bugged me. I was eventually introduced to Buck Knives by one of my jumior high/middle school teachers, who showed me his Cadet medium stockman. He said the blades were stainless, so I went and bought one myself. Back then, the Cadet was made for Buck by Camillus. Anyway, that became my knife in early 1978, and remained my main carry, sometimes switching out with a Schrade "razor-blade stainless" medium stockman. That lasted until I discovered Victorinox SAKs.

Jim
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Oh Geee....... To know for sure might take a team of archaeologists. But I remember carrying a Schrade Old Time way back in the early 60's. I guess that I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time. That was back when most boys carried a knife in their pocket. To school, to church, pretty much everywhare.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Mine was a BSA folder. But my first "real" knife was a Buck 110, which I still have.
Mike