SAK (olr multitool) irreplaceable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jifigz

SAK (olr multitool) irreplaceable?

Post by jifigz »

Hi there!!!!

I EDC two knives, Huntsman and a Delica 4. I just can't seem to replace or stop carrying my SAK. For my lifestyle, it is just too important and has too many functions that I use quite often. I know that many people like multitools like Sogs and Leathermans as well, but how many of you either EDC two knives (one like a SAK) and a spydie or a multitool with your Spydie?
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I compliment my Spyderco EDC system with a Leatherman Surge w/ bit kit everyday.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I like to carry this one clipped to my left pocket, reserving my right for a Spyderco. It's an Alox MiniChamp with a Munroe Ti Dangler clip.

gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I've got a small Leatherman, the one with scissors instead of pliers, on my key chain. Folder in my pocket. In the field, I carry a Victorinox Swisstool RS, a fixed blade - usually a Mule, and a folder. Sometimes a back up folder, too. I wonder if I have a problem ...

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I carry a Victorinox Spirit with a Clipdraw clip in my back right pocket next to my wallet. I may never carry another multi.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I used to carry a leatherman Minitool in my watch pocket, then I upgraded to a Charge AL using the pocket clip. It is bulky, but I have used it more times than I can count.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I rarely carry a multi tool, but if I do it's a Leatherman Squirt. Goes in the watch pocket nicely.
I carry a green Alox Classic, because I like the green.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

jifigz wrote:Hi there!!!!

I EDC two knives, Huntsman and a Delica 4. I just can't seem to replace or stop carrying my SAK. For my lifestyle, it is just too important and has too many functions that I use quite often. I know that many people like multitools like Sogs and Leathermans as well, but how many of you either EDC two knives (one like a SAK) and a spydie or a multitool with your Spydie?
I too have the smallest SAK with scissor, knife and nail file/screw driver. The screwdriver is what I use the most. The profile fits small slotted screws and the tapered angle allows it to drive the two common Phillips screws found on computer hardware. I am hoping the new ClipTools bottle opener and screwdriver blade will replace my SAK. It really depends on the screwdriver, either if it is suitably ground or I am able to grind to the SAK profile. I would still like to have the toothpick, but could live without that feature. ;)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I carry a Victorinox Supertinker about 95% of the time in left pocket, sometimes I'll go with an Alox Soldier or Cadet.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I usually carry my Victorinox Stayglow Rambler in my front left pocket and always a Wegner Executive 81 on my key fob. I have three Leatherman Micras, one stashed in the glovebox in my truck, one in my lunchbox, and one in my wife's purse. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

I'll carry my SAK (Soldier, 1961 version) along with my Delica.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
APS

Post by APS »

A Leatherman Squirt PS4 on my keychain replaced a SAK in the pocket. The tools are smaller but they work in a pinch and there's a proper toolkit or large multitool in the vehicles, garage and shooting bag if needed. I used to pocket carry different SAKs, up to the Champion in size, but that weight banging around at the bottom of my pocket when I hardly used the tools anyway got on my nerves.
Adam
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I always have a Spydie or two, a Swiss Army Alox Farmer or Cadet and a Skeletool on me. Today I carried this newly finish Damascus Mule with my SA Farmer:

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
addylo

Post by addylo »

I've always got my Sage 1 and at least one multi-tool in my pocket.

The pocket tool rotates between a Leatherman Squirt, SAK Executive, or SAK Minichamp (love this little guy) depending on what I plan on doing that day. In addition I usually keep a Maxped Remora in the car with at least a Leatherman Fuse and SAK Champion Plus, along with one or two fixed blades and various other "essentials".
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lately, the Spydies I've been carrying are my Pacific Salt SE and Tasman SE. But for over a decade, I've EDC'd a black Victorinox Executive in my RF pocket. There are many uses for it throughout the day. I also EDC a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit S on my belt. I've had many multi-tools before, but IMO this is the best.

I love SAKs and own a lot of them, and if not for the Spirit S, I would likely carry my Alox Pioneer, Farmer, or Tinker in addition to the Executive. But with the Spirit S, carrying any of them on a daily basis would be redundant.

I use the Spydercos for the more substantial cutting jobs, but the Victorinoxes can perform many functions besides cutting, many that would be either unsuitable or abusive for a purely cutting instrument. So I see no conflict in carrying both.

Jim
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Leatherman skeletool for me with my dragonfly salt or pacific salt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I always have a Leatherman Style PS.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I carry a Super Tinker loose in back right pocket, lock blade Spyderco in right front pocket. Each one has its place and both see a lot of use.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Before gettng into Spydercos, I used to EDC an alox Pioneer for more than a decade as a primary blade.

Nowadays, I always carry a Pioneer on a clip LFP, with a Spydie RFP. They make an awesome combo IMO.

James Y wrote: I use the Spydercos for the more substantial cutting jobs, but the Victorinoxes can perform many functions besides cutting, many that would be either unsuitable or abusive for a purely cutting instrument. So I see no conflict in carrying both.
I could not have said it better. In addition, alox SAKs are cheap, tough, handsome looking, very corrosion resistant, easy to sharpen, and people friendly. Love them.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

jifigz wrote:Hi there!!!!

I carry a SAK Deluxe Tinkerer in a cordura pouch on my belt every day for work, but I also have at least one, usually two, Spyderco's on me as well. Have a Leatherman I carry sometimes too. But I hear ya, a SAK is a great option. Just depends on your needs.