Firefly discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Firefly discussion

Post by dgebler »

I for one was incredibly intrigued by the firefly design in the 2014 cat, and wanted to start a discussion about the design. I personally find the CF bolsters with that fire orange G-10 to be really attractive and this is on my want list for sure. The only question I have design wise is the clip. Does anyone know the origin of this style; I feel i have seen something similar and it turned me off of another model. Is this part of the style from the collaborating designer, or a spyderco invention? I think for a knife as slick as this it deserves a more reserved clip design, any other thoughts? Also while I respect VG-10, I would have loved to see this in something like M-4 or M390. Count me in regardless, although I may remove the clip and make it a true pocket knife.
Grejs76

Post by Grejs76 »

Reminds me of the Ansø/ Burnley Colab TERA.

Mikael.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It certainly is interesting. I would likely want to hold that one in hand first, or at least see the HD photos by Wouter.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Clip reminded me of Benchmade 755.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ABX2011 wrote:Clip reminded me of Benchmade 755.
Very similar to the old 630 & 635 as well.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

Post by 1623 »

Typically, I'm not keen on orange handle scales or bolsters but the combination here is very nice. A Liner Lock, VG10 Steel, blade shape and the diminutive dimensions of the knife all add up to a definite buy and try for me.

I was happy to see that the clip is configurable in tip up position and while I do like it, I found myself immediately wishing that it was deep carry. The holes needed to pass a Torx driver through would look right at home, given that they already exist on the clip by design. Perhaps a mod down the road if it ends up being a keeper.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I'm in for one. Nice design!
xceptnl wrote:or at least see the HD photos by Wouter.
Yeah, Wouters photos can make bar stock look good!

If you buy based on those you need to just go ahead and join the collector's club and get them all ;)

Ken
玉鋼
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I just hope it is able to accommodate a Moonglow backspacer. With the name of Firefly, I'll need to make mine glow somehow.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Since I've got all of Spyderco's other orange G10 models, I guess I'll have to get a Firefly! :cool:

TedP
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Like the knife, not a fan of the clip at all. I only carry small (DFLY and down) knives clipless so this is a disappointment.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

The Firefly is a custom model by Peter Carey, usually without the spydiehole

The prototype was shown in the 2011 and 2012 on the A'dam Meet and for me it was love on first sight :) I'm happy to see Spyderco kept the original scales. I hope they are nicely rounded and that the G10 is polished just like the Original. The Proto also featured a nice hollow grind which makes it a great cutter. I can't wait to get my hands on this one and the Tusk :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

dgebler wrote:The only question I have design wise is the clip. Does anyone know the origin of this style; I feel i have seen something similar and it turned me off of another model. Is this part of the style from the collaborating designer, or a spyderco invention? I think for a knife as slick as this it deserves a more reserved clip design, any other thoughts?
I think the clip you are thinking about is the one off the Lil-Temperance and I agree completely about not liking the clip. I will be purchasing at least one if not a couple of the Firefly's as I have been waiting for this model to come out since I handled the prototype two years ago. The first thing I will be doing after getting mine is replacing the clip with something more elegant. I also would have preferred this knife to be made in Taichung due to their high quality of fit and finish. In the end though I am just happy to see it in the catalogue!
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

jabba359 wrote:I just hope it is able to accommodate a Moonglow backspacer. With the name of Firefly, I'll need to make mine glow somehow.
Cool idea jabba-

I never would have thought that orange G-10 and CF would look so good together!

I only wish that it had a lanyard hole, particularly if I might carry it loose-in-pocket.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Holland

Post by Holland »

ABX2011 wrote:Clip reminded me of Benchmade 755.
same
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'm interested in this for sure, but I have a bad feeling it may be too expensive. My guess is $150 ish. Thoughts?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I haven't a guess about the price, but if it is $150 consider one sold! (even with the funky clip)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

$150 is ok, I suppose, but it could be more. I'm basing my guess off the Vallottan.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Firefly will certainly be a must-have for me. I'm really attracted to the carbon fiber bolsters. Beautifully done!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

If it comes out with a less garish colour scheme, I'd pick one up in a second (Black goes with everything ;) )

I have a morbid dislike of the colour orange after catching the wife watching the Kardashians on E! :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The grind on the blade is a real attraction for me. It almost looks like a Bob Terzuola grind - and it also somewhat resembles Chris Reeve's Insingo Sebenza blade. Sexy stuff.

TedP