Firefly discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

toomzz wrote:Cool, the knife is finally there! I remember Sal showed us a prototype last year in Amsterdam. It would have been nice to see this knife in a more exotic steel like M4 or K390 :rolleyes:
I agree, but in Japanese steels we're pretty much seeing VG10, SB and ZDP at this point. I'm sure there are some interesting Japanese equivalents. No idea what those might be...

Ken
玉鋼
SpeedHoles

Re: Firefly discussion

Post by SpeedHoles »

How's the Fire flyin'? :)
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes! I've been thinking about the Firefly lately. :) Good call. Yowza, that is amazing to see that Ken's last post was from Nov. of 2013!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yep, same! The firefly is definitely one I've been waiting for! Obviously not the only one though, and seeing how long this thread has been around, Id say I'm even late to that party! :p
-Nick :bug-red
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

According to national knives spyderco will be releasing it soon.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'm excited for in the wild pics before I pull the trigger
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Id really like to pre order one. What holds me back is, whether the blade is a satin finish or highly polished.
Don't care for the shiney blades.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Peter Carey shared a picture of a Firefly on Instagram today, and it looks great! Seems as though they are right around the corner.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Able Dog wrote:Peter Carey shared a picture of a Firefly on Instagram today, and it looks great! Seems as though they are right around the corner.
Thanks for the link to the pic. Looks like a satin finish, but can't really tell for sure.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Long overdue but now in stock at KnifeWorks!

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercofiref ... k4DInarSM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

http://youtu.be/07Hze1S5c1I
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I didn't realize it was so tiny. My Positron is small enough, I'm passing on this one. But it sure looks like another quality knife by Spyderco.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

It reminds me of the Rubicon kinda, unfortunately my Rubicon is still sitting in the safe unused, I didn't like the bulbous handle, nice looking knife, just doesn't feel right in pocket.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

farnorthdan wrote:It reminds me of the Rubicon kinda, unfortunately my Rubicon is still sitting in the safe unused, I didn't like the bulbous handle, nice looking knife, just doesn't feel right in pocket.
Ditto on the Rubicon. Gorgeous CF but it was fat like a tuna fish in the pocket minus the smell! :)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Looks like it's drilled for tip down carry only. Great looking piece but for the money there are too many knives coming that I would rather have.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This photo makes it look like tip up is an option.

I have to agree, the round handle although comfortable in hand doesn't make for a very comfortable knife in the pocket.

@liquid_cobra
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I didn't realize it was so tiny. My Positron is small enough, I'm passing on this one. But it sure looks like another quality knife by Spyderco.

I'm with you I love the design and really wanted one but its very small and I'm not super excited about the VG10. Especially with all the other great options coming out at a little lower price point....like the positron.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I didn't like the look of the Firefly when I first saw pictures of it but my opinion has changed since then. If it isn't too fat in the pocket, it might be a very nice small EDC. At this point the only thing that is keeping me from purchasing one is the $200 price. Ouch!
dc50

Post by dc50 »

remnar wrote:I didn't like the look of the Firefly when I first saw pictures of it but my opinion has changed since then. If it isn't too fat in the pocket, it might be a very nice small EDC. At this point the only thing that is keeping me from purchasing one is the $200 price. Ouch!
Even worse here in Canada, $239.00 plus tax and shipping, ad on another $24.00
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I really like it but probably wouldn't spend the money on it. It looks to be like a chubby little knife though.