Firefly discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Firefly discussion

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I grabbed one for $130 at the seconds sale. It was the only one there AFAIK. It is way smaller than I thought, but it was love at first sight. The looks, size, and classy feel all combine to make a great little gents folder. It's the only second in my pocket right now, so that's saying something.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I grabbed one for $130 at the seconds sale. It was the only one there AFAIK. It is way smaller than I thought, but it was love at first sight. The looks, size, and classy feel all combine to make a great little gents folder. It's the only second in my pocket right now, so that's saying something.
Great catch ! Now please tell me if the blade is highly polished like a caly 3 or is it a little more subdued like the sage series ?
As I mentioned before, shiney blades aren't my fav, constantly wiping off finger prints drives me around the bend. :p
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

dc50 wrote:Great catch ! Now please tell me if the blade is highly polished like a caly 3 or is it a little more subdued like the sage series ?
As I mentioned before, shiney blades aren't my fav, constantly wiping off finger prints drives me around the bend. :p
Thanks. Sadly, the blade is polished. I agree, the satin ones are a lot easier to make look nice. It's still a great little folder though!

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I think I'm liking it more and more!

Nice shots, as always, GS. :spyder:
If you get a chance, would you mind posting up some size comparison photos of this, either here or in the size comparison thread?

I'm curious what category to put this into in my head. Mostly the handle girth/thickness.
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hmm...interesting GS, if you get a chance could you post up a spine shot, maybe next to the rubicon if possible? :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Thanks GoldenSpydie! for the pic's and update on the blade finish. Yes it is a fine looking knife to be sure.
I'm still tempted even if it is highly polished. :)

DC
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

FireFly dropped a couple of weeks ago but it's still not listed on the Spyderco website in general and not under New Products either.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?filter=new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are some belated comparison pictures.

From left to right in the first two pictures, we have:

Lava Sprint, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Firefly, Techno, Kiwi 4, Persistence Blue, Delica 4 Titanium/Damascus, Native 5 Lightweight 2015 Forum Knife

And a slightly more artistic one:

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What a crazy cast of characters you have there.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice comparison shots. So what are your thoughts so far on the Firefly?
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Liquid Cobra wrote:What a crazy cast of characters you have there.
Hah, wait 'till I do a comparison with the Squarehead, Dodo, T-Mag, Leafstorm, DKPK, and Meerkat!
SpeedHoles wrote:Nice comparison shots. So what are your thoughts so far on the Firefly?
A few thoughts about the Firefly...

1. The handle is really thick. I mean REALLY thick for this size knife. It is thicker than the Techno even though the blade is significantly thinner. This allows for a comfortable grip and some ergonomic rounding, but don't buy a Firefly expecting it to be a slim folder.

2. It's also fairly heavy for its size, FWIW. Its weight makes it feel like a larger knife, but it doesn't disappear in the pocket of lighter weight pants.

3. The handle is beautiful and flawlessly machined. Tolerances on this knife seem to be set at 0. The design is great and very easy to open and close one handed (for me, of course).

4. The clip is weird and rather small. To each his own, but I wish it had a small spoon clip like the Lava.

5. The blade shape reminds me of the C19 Bob Terzuola Jr.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are few more pictures.

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I love the looks of this knife, but that pocketclip just doesn't look right on it. Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the phillips head screws, I don't know? I'm just thinking if it was a black clip with torx screws it might match better.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

It looks like a little firefly wing. ;)

I actually don't mind how it looks...
Going back to Caly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That last shot in your hand makes me want one. Dang it!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Your hand looks like a mannequin to me, lol. No offense, just what came to mind when I saw the knife sitting there. :p
Going back to Caly.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Really liking this one so far!! Three odd things so far though, all fixed thankfully:

1) When first received, a hard opening flick would cause the lock bar to become nearly totally wedged against the blade. It took two fingers on the lockbar and pressure on the blade itself to release it. It happened 3-4 times but hasn't happened since it's broken in...
2) The clip. Not a huge fan of the shape but I understand the choice based on Carey's original. Really not a fan of the cheap-a$$ Phillips head screws that hold it though. Switched it to tip up, and screw heads stripped easily and it was real tough to sink one of the two screws. I had to wiggle the scale against the liner to line the screw hole up enough to seat the screw. I had to sand down the rough edges on the stripped heads, and now it's fine. Won't be moving the clip again, that's for sure! I like to carry my knives tip up in general and I find the remaining screw holes are less noticeable in the CF bolster vs the orange G10. Huge kudos for not drilling holes on the presentation side Spyderco!
3) A few days ago, the washers developed a loud squeaking sound against the liners when the knife was opening. Really loud in fact... I had oiled the pivot lightly with NanoOil when I first received it, and adding another dose of it solved the squeaking issue.

So, aside from those things, the ergos are great! It's a fantastic LBK (save for the high price). The scales are gorgeous and as nice as the polished blue G10 on my custom Steve Ketchen Chapparral. As GS said, it's very stout and solid, kind of like a mini Gayle Bradley in feel. The VG-10 blade on mine was not very sharp out of the box, but sharpened up quickly with a few passes on the SM. Size-wise it's nearly identical in closed length to the Air, Chap, and Techno and like Eli said, reminds me very much of the smaller disco'd Terzuola offerings from Spyderco. The lock is easy enough to manipulate but does pinch me every few times, leaving a small chunk of skin between the CF bolster and the lockbar! It's definitely broken in nicely though, and I'm really pleased I went for it! I'll try to snap some more pics later. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

I received the Firefly this May 2021 and it definitely needed some lube. The squeaking is eliminated and I am dealing-in the action. Nice little knife with all the usual pros and cons previously stated. I think I am going to look for a different clip.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......