2014 Catalog Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Quite a few surprises this year. I ogled the Tusk at Blade... It is sweet. I don't have any reason to own one, but what a great design and display of engineering. Sage 3 is looking good in its new pants! I need a SpyDK like yesterday. It looks like a half sibling to a Caly Jr. The Roc looks interesting. The Kiwi4 was one of my favorites at Blade and will definitely be on my wish list. The Finch 2 is also on that list. The Worker looks great in green. The SpyDK is definitely my favorite surprise this catalog.

I don't think I've ever had a more negative reaction to a Spydie handle than the Draper. Slap some G-10 on that knife and I would find it appealing, as is no thanks.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, the SpyDK looks pretty sweet. I don't have any reason to own the Tusk either, but then I don't have any reason to own most of the hundreds of knives I have. Even though I'm not a fan of titanium handles or RILs, I'll probably have to have one if I can swing it. I'll have to get another Sage 3 as well, but luckily not much else really floats my boat.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
robot37

Post by robot37 »

Yeah!!
I'm stupid-excited for the new ffg manix2.
It's about time. I predict that they will fly off the shelves and stores will have a hard time keeping them in stock, much like they did with the paramilitary2.

It's almost like Sal decided one day to just start printing money.

-nate
Holland

Post by Holland »

ill definitely be getting the bottle opener key chain knife, a SB stretch, and quite possibly the worker. g10 and vg10 was not my ideal combination when asking for this sprint :(
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

nothing really new that I need. Would have been all over a SB Dfly if it were fully SB. My wallet is happy though
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I can open a bottle using the spine of most of my Spyderco knives, typically right where the thumb hole is. I haven't done it with my Ladybug or Jester, and they're quite small and as such might not have the leverage. I also haven't tried it with my Swick, Goddard, or my Dragonfly, though I have no doubts they'll be up to the challenge. It'll happen eventually. I don't need a separate bottle opener on the knife.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I'm saving myself for the hard copy
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I really like the roc
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Like the look of the Tusk, definitely in the don't need it but want category though. Nice to see a new lock in the lineup and some new handle styles like the draper and the firefly. Only disappointment for me is the kiwi4, wish it was reproduced closer to the original models, a shame it got the tactical black g10 FFG treatment, but plenty of other models to empty my wallet.
I see, said the blind man.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I can open a bottle using the spine of most of my Spyderco knives, typically right where the thumb hole is. I haven't done it with my Ladybug or Jester, and they're quite small and as such might not have the leverage. I also haven't tried it with my Swick, Goddard, or my Dragonfly, though I have no doubts they'll be up to the challenge. It'll happen eventually. I don't need a separate bottle opener on the knife.
I can vouch for that :D
M80

Post by M80 »

The ones on my list to get are the Tusk, Double Bevel, Roc, Kiwi4 and the Worker and maybe the Battle Station oh and one of each clipitools :D
jul

Post by jul »

the Double Bevel w/o the double bevel would be awesome! regrind? anyone? :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Battlestation is really tickling my fancy out of all of the new shiny things in 2014. Just so different in style and shape.

The Hungarian folder is also-strangely- appealing too me also- it's (to my eyes) like the classic Opinel/Laguiole style mashed up with the classic Spyderco style....Me likey :)

The Clipitools look like fun- the only one I'd open my wallet for would be the one with the scissors I think. Add some slots in the handle for tweezers and a toothpick and the whole package becomes a real competitor to a certain 'brand' of pocket knife that hails from the land of Toblerone, anoymous banking and cuckoo clocks.

The Double Bevel doesn't really float my boat- The blade seems very busy compared to the rather plain handle.
Then again I said similar (the opposite in fact) about the Valloton and I ended up buying one of those (and not regretting it either) ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
tap78

Post by tap78 »

robot37 wrote:I'm stupid-excited for the new ffg manix2.
me too :) especially for black coated blade version
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

ffg manix2 in dlc
sb dragonfly
worker
the clip it tool including the scissors
so far, but i just took a short look at the catalog
aogami super blue dragonfly!
K1W1

Post by K1W1 »

Alnamvet68 wrote:I have my eye on the re-introduced Worker in VG10 and green G10. That folding pocket meat cleaver, the ROC, has also gotten my attention.
I'm with you on both of those
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Roc, FFG Manix 2, aside from that not much else of interest. That usually changes as I get more info and pictures.

At least my backlog of wanted knives will keep me going for the forseeable future.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Did I miss something but the Friction Folder was not in the Disco list and I can't find it anymore in the catalogue? Or am I becoming blind? Or did I miss the release somehow?
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The Tusk is definitely unique! As a former sailor I absolutely have to have one! That marlin spike gets knots out of rope that otherwise you would have to cut! ;)
APS

Post by APS »

Kiwi4 and sprint Worker for me!
Adam