caly 3 or another delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

caly 3 or another delica

Post by wmcilvain »

I have a VG-10 delica and i like it a lot.

with that said i would love to get a caly 3 zdp… but my biggest concern is the strength of the tip.

I dont abuse my knives (prying etc.) but i still use it rough occasionally. ok maybe i will separate wood i am cutting through sometimes. so the big question is…

will a caly be strong enough or should i be looking at a delica in ZDP?

P.S. I tend to be on the more testing end of things… I won't go home to get a different knife I always use what I got
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Everyone should have a Delica.

Then; everyone should have a ZDP Caly 3.5 !!!

Notice, I said a Caly 3.5. The handle is almost the same size as the Caly 3 in your pocket, but you get 1/2" more blade.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

Agree with caly 3.5. Amazing knife. Sage series isn't a bad option either if you really wanted a 3" blade too.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Get the Caly 3.5 in VG10. You'll love it. I promise. ;)
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

If you don't have a caly3 yet, diversify and get the caly3! It is a much more beautiful knife, especially in Carbon Fiber ZDP-189 trim! :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Welcome to the forums fellow Virginian. I must add a +1 to D1omedes suggestion of the Caly 3.5 in VG-10. This may be an even more appropriate suggestion if you have limited sharpening tools because ZDP can be frustrating without the right abrasive.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I prefer the Caly 3.5 to the 3, because they look basically the same (Especially to non-knife people), and you get that extra 1/2" of blade. I've almost bought Delicas and Enduras, but I prefer the Stretch to both. I'll be nothing short of ecstatic when my SuperBlue Stretch comes in.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jnichols2 wrote:Everyone should have a Delica.
Then; everyone should have a ZDP Caly 3.5 !!!
For some reason I do not have either of them. I sold my Delicas long time ago and after owning CF Caly3 for many years and never using it, decided to pass on CF Caly3.5
D1omedes wrote:Get the Caly 3.5 in VG10. You'll love it. I promise. ;)
xceptnl wrote:I must add a +1 to D1omedes suggestion of the Caly 3.5 in VG-10.
+2 on G10/VG10 Caly3.5. IMHO this knife one of the best production EDC ever made. Probably only N5 (especially Forum variant) can beat it :) :) :D :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Go for the caly 3- amazing knife. I think the Caly 3 blade is a mm wider than the delica. The ergonomics are fantasic
Holland

Post by Holland »

The caly is one of my favourite knives, cant go wrong with it, literally melts in your hands :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Delica is one of my favorite Spyderco knives. That said I really like my G10/VG-10 Calypso 3. While my Delica gets used like a rented mule, my Calypso 3 feels more "gentlemanly". Slimmer, sits deeper in the pocket, G10 vs FRN, just a step above the Delica. If you already have a Delica I suggest you get a Calypso 3.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Arguably, the VG-10 Caly 3.5 is the best option. If blade restrictions stop that, go with the ZDP Caly 3. Once I went Caly, I never went back to delicas.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Get both! One G10 and the other CF zdp-189! One for dress, one for work! Once I went native Delica got kicked to the curb!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have an old Delica from around 2007 that's all stainless with AUS 6 blade but there's just something about the shape of the Delica that I'm not too crazy about. I have looked at the Caly 3 in a side by side comparison to the Caly 3.5 and they just don't make sense to me because there is only about a quarter of an inch difference in the handle yet half an inch more blade in the 3.5. I personally wouldn't buy the Caly 3 unless restricted to a three inch blade. I prefer the Caky 3.5 which is my favorite Spyderco made at present to either of these two. Only a Caly 3.75 if it is ever made could knock the 3.5 from it's throne for me and anyone who doesn't own a Caly 3.5 and is reading this do yourself a favor make that your next Spyderco you'll be glad you did.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I hear that!!! I absolutely love leaf-shaped blades, and the stretch-shaped blades I love just as much! Delica, Endura, Para2, Military-shaped blades not nearly as much! :D :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SolidState wrote:Arguably, the VG-10 Caly 3.5 is the best option. If blade restrictions stop that, go with the ZDP Caly 3. Once I went Caly, I never went back to delicas.
Yep. I was a Delica cheer leader until I got my first Caly 3. It was pretty much over after that. The ergonomics are so far superior on the Caly it's not even funny.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Are you comparing a full flat ground Delica or a flat-saber ground one? The ffg Delica is a distal taper 2.5mm and the Caly is a distal flat 3mm with a more broad tip.

If comparing a saber Delica they are tougher due to mass of steel alone. There are probably others to consider as well, like the Salt1.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Go and get the ZDP189 FFG Delica.It's amazing.In real life the Caly finger choil and superior ergonomics it's not so obvious, is not a big deal, and I like alot the fact that Delica has bushings.Plus you can disasamble and lube your Delica.Plus the FRN handle is more friendly and grippy than the Caly's carbon fiber.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

elena86 wrote:Go and get the ZDP189 FFG Delica.It's amazing.In real life the Caly finger choil and superior ergonomics it's not so obvious, is not a big deal, and I like alot the fact that Delica has bushings.Plus you can disasamble and lube your Delica.Plus the FRN handle is more friendly and grippy than the Caly's carbon fiber.
I have found that my Delica which has bushings is not nearly as smooth as my Caly 3 ZDP without bushings. I don't know how Spyderco does it but Caly is more than twice as smooth and it gets smoother still with use.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Get the Caly 3. If I need more than 3" I go Para2. But to each his own.