Poll: Most popular EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you carry the most?

Military
8%
Paramilitary 1 or 2
18%
Caly series
14%
Sage series
7%
Chaparral series
4%
Native series
8%
Delica/Endura series
17%
Dragonfly 1 or 2
10%
Stretch
7%
Manix series
7%

Total votes: 433

Holland

Post by Holland »

eric m. wrote:And yes look at the Manix category! There is 1/2" difference in blade length between the Manix2 and the XL! I didn't even consider the XL! Thanks again! Boy do we have much to consider!? :confused:
ya its really hard with only 10 available choices. but i think this is a great starting point to get a general idea of what everybody carries :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Absolutely! The 3 in. blade category is probably the most popular EDC choice by a substantial margin! The category is overloaded by a vast array of spyderco models, attesting to the 3 inch blade's popularity! :D Natives, Sages, Chaparrals being my favorites! :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

eric m. wrote:Absolutely! The 3 in. blade category is probably the most popular EDC choice by a substantial margin! The category is overloaded by a vast array of spyderco models, attesting to the 3 inch blade's popularity! :D Natives, Sages, Chaparrals being my favorites! :spyder:
Amen, i voted for the chaparral caly3 and N5 :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

A more expanded version of this poll could include blade length categories like 2" and under, 2.25" to 2.75", 2.9" to 3.25", 3.25" to 3.75", above 3.75"! That would be more telling! :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

eric m. wrote:A more expanded version of this poll could include blade length categories like 2" and under, 2.25" to 2.75", 2.9" to 3.25", 3.25" to 3.75", above 3.75"! That would be more telling! :D
could almost make another thread with those options :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

What is taking you so long? Ha, Ha! I'm technologically deficient!!! :)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The results of the poll are interesting :)

Para's are very popular, most likely that they are a very good knife ( I have never owned one) :D

Delica and Endura's also, maybe because of cost and the fact that they are really good knives :)

Caly's have a pretty good share, probably a combination of the 2 despite the fact they are pinned with an adjustable pivot :)

A big knife like the Military has it's own solid base ;)

Natives are relatively low, maybe because they din't have an adjustable pivot?

It'll be neat to see how this poll progresses and how statistically stable it becomes :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Revival

Post by Revival »

Although I love this Poll thread and do understand its a "series" poll, i would love to see it broken down further. I cam curious to know what individual knife was carried the most....period. Simply 1 vote based on the specific knife you have carried the most during time frame given and thats it. Vote would be based on experience rather than prefrence. Maybe it being the end of the year we could do a " What Spyderco did you carry most in 2013", with the time frame being from January to now?

I do realize a poll would be impossible due to the limitations of the choices that the poll allows. Maybe i could do running count for each specific knife model if you guys are interested?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Revival wrote:Although I love this Poll thread and do understand its a "series" poll, i would love to see it broken down further. I cam curious to know what individual knife was carried the most....period. Simply 1 vote based on the specific knife you have carried the most during time frame given and thats it. Vote would be based on experience rather than prefrence. Maybe it being the end of the year we could do a " What Spyderco did you carry most in 2013", with the time frame being from January to now?

I do realize a poll would be impossible due to the limitations of the choices that the poll allows. Maybe i could do running count for each specific knife model if you guys are interested?
that would be a very interesting concept
-Spencer

Rotation:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Holland wrote:Amen, i voted for the chaparral caly3 and N5 :D
All great knives. I never had Chap, but handled one and probably will buy one, when Spyderco will make it with bone or wood scales.
BTW, did you try Caly3.5?
eric m. wrote:A more expanded version of this poll could include blade length categories like 2" and under, 2.25" to 2.75", 2.9" to 3.25", 3.25" to 3.75", above 3.75"! That would be more telling! :D
Good idea, but I wouldn't combine 2.9" and 3.25". There are many jurisdictions with 3" legal limit. So I would make under 2", over 2 to 2.5", over 2.5 to 3", over 3" to 3.5" and so on
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dialex

Post by dialex »

Right now everyone seems to chase the Paramillie 2 so I guess this is the winner (although the Delica / Endura can't be too far away).
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Holland

Post by Holland »

bh49 wrote:All great knives. I never had Chap, but handled one and probably will buy one, when Spyderco will make it with bone or wood scales.
BTW, did you try Caly3.5?
Good to hear :D and I have tried the 3.5, i had 2 3.5 SuperBlues at one point, but it had significant vertical play (both of them did) so i sold them both. i much prefer 3 inch blades anyway :) i do however, need to try out a Persian eventually. the only thing holding me back is VG10 doesn't excite me what so ever
dialex wrote:Right now everyone seems to chase the Paramillie 2 so I guess this is the winner (although the Delica / Endura can't be too far away).
It's important to consider that people who frequent forum will know a lot more about knives then the average person. These leads me to believe that significantly more people will own a delica/endura as its more readily available in stores and much cheaper, and many of these people will not even know what a para2 is haha. :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Holland wrote:Good to hear :D and I have tried the 3.5, i had 2 3.5 SuperBlues at one point, but it had significant vertical play (both of them did) so i sold them both. i much prefer 3 inch blades anyway :)
Sorry for your expirience with blade play. So far I was lucky and none of my EDCs had bladeplay, which would bother me.
Holland wrote: I do however, need to try out a Persian eventually.
Original or P2, large or small. If you are thinking about P2, than now is time to buy at sierra.
Holland wrote: the only thing holding me back is VG10 doesn't excite me what so ever
All depends what your use it for. I love VG10. On my kitchen knives the edge stays forever and we use them. I carried for years and still carry folders with VG10 blades. VG10 takes great edge. Now my most used knife is S110V Native5, so I sharpen less frequently. May be once every twoo weeks instead of every week and this is about it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

bh49 you're probably right! Didn't take into account the 3" blade laws ! :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

eric m. wrote:bh49 you're probably right! Didn't take into account the 3" blade laws ! :)
There is a site that sells strickly Spyderco that isn't affiliated with Spyderco that has a search function based on blade length. This is great IMO because the size of a knife is one, if not the most common consideration. Traditional pocket knives always describe the size of their knives with the closed size. Most of them have more than one blades. Does anyone know the site I'm thinking of? I'll try to find it.

Jack

Edit:
Got it. "thespydercostore.com"
There is a tab for searching by blade length.
FLIP4real

Post by FLIP4real »

I do not own this entire portfolio, however I am partial to 3" blade. My Delica 4 and Native Light get the most time and of the two the Native wins for some reason. I prefer the ergos of the bulkier handle, I believe. A Caly 3 is very high on my list as is a Chaparral.
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Salt ladybug since its on my key chain.
Holland

Post by Holland »

klug932000 wrote:Salt ladybug since its on my key chain.
just added this to my keychain and im loving it!

Figured id bump this and see if the poll can get more results :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

klug932000 wrote:Salt ladybug since its on my key chain.
Funny you say that. My H1 Ladybug is the 3rd Spyderco knife I ever bought, and has served years on my keychain faithfully. I've used it hard, and just a few months ago retired it to the keychain for one of my 2 non daily driving vehicles. It definitely has some side to side blade play now, and just starting to develop a little up and down as well. It's the pinned version so I can't tighten it, but it's done WELL above $50 of cutting over the years and still works well as a backup. G-10 Jester lives on my DD keys now.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Holland

Re: Poll: Most popular EDC

Post by Holland »

Lets see if we can get more poll results. Bump!
-Spencer

Rotation: