Caly 3 Review & My First Super Blue Experience...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

anagarika wrote:The lockbar seems to have an indentation? Referring to the photo where it's almost snapping shut ..
They pinch/squeeze the lock bars to adjust/tweak the lockup when it is needed. I think the light is catching it just right to make it look funny. Image for reference:

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Uke

Post by Uke »

Donut wrote:They pinch/squeeze the lock bars to adjust/tweak the lockup when it is needed. I think the light is catching it just right to make it look funny.
You're spot on mate, it was a trick of the light. I've taken a couple of pics showing what the lock bar actually looks like...

...no issues with lock up at all, rock solid and smooth to release. I'd just presumed it was similar to the occasional marks you get inside the spydie-hole / on the liners from laser cutting. I didn't realise they sometime pinch the lock bars.
mcb

Post by mcb »

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead...but I just loved this review. Really brought out the beauty of this knife. I actually have two of these myself that I am going to gift to a friend. They hardly saw use but I found a vendor that still has these available and I want to start fresh with one to see it transition. My last two were kind of forced and I didn't take proper care of the blades. I'm at that point where I have no set EDC, but the Caly 3 CF ZDP was mine for quite sometime last year. This review definitely brought me back to goodness of the Caly 3 and that Super Blue is something else! Definitely can't wait for this fresh one to arrive!

Again, thanks for the review!
sok

Post by sok »

Great review, thanks.

I feel that I have made some decent knife buying decisions the last few years but to pass on the sb Calys is a decision I still regret.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Uke, just beautiful pics and a great review in this thread. That's definitely some intense patina you've got going there!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King