Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Giving this thread a little bump. Anyone heard any news?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't hear anything new, but this is one of very few knives I can be interested. Unfortunately Sal mentioned while back that most likely cobra hood will go away. I like this feature, it is giving ATR character.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh he did? Bummer :(
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Unfortunately Sal mentioned while back that most likely cobra hood will go away. I like this feature, it is giving ATR character.
Blerv wrote:Oh he did? Bummer :(
Exactly. I love this knife so I will not speak before I see the new version, but without the hood it is already at a disadvantage in my mind. Glad I have an older one to keep me company. IMHO, it would be like the Kopa without bolsters...... :eek:
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I heard the opposite. He at first said no hood, then after returning from Japan he said the hood would stay. I'll see if I can find it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote: He at first said no hood, then after returning from Japan he said the hood would stay.
Possibly I missed that. If Cobra hood will stay, than it is great
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I wish i had a chance to get one of these. But i would like a black g10 version evan more!
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Kylems11 wrote: But i would like a black g10 version evan more!
I strongly prefer dark green, but Landon most likely wants navy blue. :)
And many of us will take any color ATR, even pink :D

ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Given the high interest level in the ATR's return are we likely to just see the one sprint? Any chance of variations or moving to production?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I heard the opposite. He at first said no hood, then after returning from Japan he said the hood would stay. I'll see if I can find it.
Hmm..I may be losing it. I could have sworn I read something about the cobra hood but I can't find it. I would say disregard for now.

@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Hmm..I may be losing it. ......I would say disregard for now.
:confused: :( This has me feeling down. I had hope!
*Landon*
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm with you all!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This is the only quote, which I was able to find
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... hlight=ATR
Sal Glesser wrote: There has been some renewed interest in a sprint but I'd want to make some changes. The clip had more disadvantages than advantages. The Cobra hood is still in question and would at the very least have to be a bit narrower and smoother to not accidentally "Emerson open" the knife.
I'm also open to suggestions.
sal
I hope that Spyderco will keep the hood.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I could live with it being narrower, bit then again I've never held one. I wonder what the status is?

@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I could live with it being narrower, but then again I've never held one. I wonder what the status is?
What? :eek:
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That surprises you?!? Hahaha

@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:That surprises you?!? Hahaha
Honestly YES, I assumed you had a taste of the ATR and that was what always had you craving more. You are in for a treat. I do think the narrower hood could be alright, somewhere around 6mm-8mm would be fine. I don't recall specifically, but I am sure the original was closer to 9mm
*Landon*
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I would definitely be interested in an ATR if it was kept as original as possible. I was standing behind the door when the DLC version was available. :(
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
bh49

Post by bh49 »

A.P.F. wrote:I would definitely be interested in an ATR if it was kept as original as possible.
I would only change a clip to low riding wire clip. And the same with Lil T. I have no idea on how to improve these two knives, except replacing the clip with low riding wire clip. Even original steel would be fine, but I will take Lil T with new Carpenter steel :)

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cobra Hood? Are you kidding? That's waaaay too cool not to have!