Spyderco Cat, jimping's back!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
filedog

Spyderco Cat, jimping's back!

Post by filedog »

Just went through a phase where I got rid of knives I wasn't using, freeing up finds to buy more : ) One I really needed was a small, "customer friendly" EDC for work. Of course, perception varies,

but when my Sage 1 comes out the sheeple's eyes widen. I wanted something similar, I really like Spyderco liner locks, and the Cat was the best choice in my price range.

Only a few reviews out there, not much love for this little blade. The early run was CF and S30V, but apparently quality suffered at the price point they hit.

I would gladly pay Sage 1 prices for a CF S30V Cat, maybe someday? But for now, the G10 and 440C is what's available. Honestly, for this knife's intended purpose,

(opening boxes, cutting string and tape) good 440C is fine. From what I could find, the CF knives had jimping, but it was left off the G10 ones. The retailers that have new production were a mixed bag,

with some descriptions listing jimping and others not. I called one, their's were new production, but no jimping. I even called the Spyderco retail store, and was told no jimping now or planned for the future.

On one youtube review, someone mentioned they bought a new one and it had it. I like choils on small Spydercos, and i think jimping enhances their usefulness. So, I wished the Cat had it, but not a deal breaker.

I just received this one, and whaddya know - it's got jimping. Nice little knife, perfect for what I had in mind. QC seems great, comparable to my Tenacious,

which is very good, but not quite as nice as the Sage 1. Some people don't like the pivot screw being a flat finish - I suppose I could polish it.

The Spyder hole could use a bit of smoothing, but I do that to most of them, personal preference. Nice and sharp, LOVE the wire clip, and the jimping is just right,

adds that bit of security just in case. With the choil, I get a comfortable, secure 4 finger grip, with the butt solidly tucked in my palm. Here's a shots of it with my remaining Spydercos, Cat, Sage 1 and Tenacious.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I really like my CAT!! It serves me well at work (house painter) and after!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
CrazyKorean13

Love my Cat!

Post by CrazyKorean13 »

[ATTACH]22919[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22920[/ATTACH]I didn't like my Cat CF handles and got them pimped out. Got Ti handles and it feels like a Sage ti now. :spyder:
Attachments
cat 2.1.JPG
cat 1.1.JPG
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Fixed that for you, you Crazy Korean.
CrazyKorean13

Post by CrazyKorean13 »

Thanks...my bad!
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Not a problem!
filedog

Post by filedog »

CrazyKorean13 wrote:[ATTACH]22919[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22920[/ATTACH]I didn't like my Cat CF handles and got them pimped out. Got Ti handles and it feels like a Sage ti now. :spyder:
Did you polish the pivot bolts & screws as part of the pimpage?
CrazyKorean13

Post by CrazyKorean13 »

That was part of the pimage. I asked the dude to put red/black G-10 but upgraded my order to ti instead. Wire clip was bronzed too.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I had a G-10 version without jimping but otherwise very nice. About a year ago I phoned the dealer from whom I'd ordered it and asked if they had any with jimping. They did and it was holiday present for me. Both of the knives have very good fit and finish and are of a convenient size for in-pocket carry. The CAT is not one of Spyderco's "all-stars" but it's a fine mid-size EDC knife, especially if you favor liner locks. Give it a try.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Ooh this may force me to buy a second one! I had one of the earlier runs and tried (and failed :p ) to add jimping to it but now that it comes stock, that may be enough to make me buy another one.
filedog

Post by filedog »

Invective wrote:Ooh this may force me to buy a second one! I had one of the earlier runs and tried (and failed :p ) to add jimping to it but now that it comes stock, that may be enough to make me buy another one.
When I was thinking mine would not have jimping, I thought of adding it, using a small grinding wheel on a dremel tool. I had a feeling it would not come out as good as I wanted.
What did you use to make the grooves?
filedog

Post by filedog »

buckthorn wrote:I had a G-10 version without jimping but otherwise very nice. About a year ago I phoned the dealer from whom I'd ordered it and asked if they had any with jimping. They did and it was holiday present for me. Both of the knives have very good fit and finish and are of a convenient size for in-pocket carry. The CAT is not one of Spyderco's "all-stars" but it's a fine mid-size EDC knife, especially if you favor liner locks. Give it a try.
After having a very close look at it, the F&F is similar to my Tenacious. Not bad at all, but I would happily pay more for a more nicely finished knife.....Sal are you listening?

: )
Invective

Post by Invective »

filedog wrote:When I was thinking mine would not have jimping, I thought of adding it, using a small grinding wheel on a dremel tool. I had a feeling it would not come out as good as I wanted.
What did you use to make the grooves?
I used a dremel. It came out okay enough but looks really unprofessional, the gaps between each are way off and they aren't uniform depth.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The cat is definitely an under-appreciated knife that has gotten bad press that has almost killed it. I have a cat 440c g10, with jimping, and I absolutely love it!!! :D
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I prefer my discontinued S30V Cat, but that's good news about the return of jimping on the 440c.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for starting this thread. I too have the Chaparral and Sage-1. I'm looking for something like a "liner-lock Chaparral" and the Cat seems to fit the bill. Upon first looks, I didn't see jimping on the thumb-ramp and finger-choil, but have since learned it's present on the most recent versions, so now my quest is to find a dealer that has a Cat with full jimping.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just recently got a Cat. There are still jimped and unjimped ones floating around. I looked at one at a local store that had jimping. But the one I got online has none. I actually like it without jimping, for its light duty purpose. I also really like the matte pivot screw. I like a small knife like this to look more subdued when possible.

:bug-red-white
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Yea, I've found that out too. I called (2) big named online dealers. One says his stock has jimping, the other says his stock does not. Glad I called around. I'm going to order one later today I think.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012