Sage 3 Revamp and Some Thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Sage 3 Revamp and Some Thoughts

Post by araneae »

Originally Posted by Michael Janich
To clarify the status of the Sage 3, it is being discontinued in its current form with a blue G-10 handle. However, it is being replaced by the same knife made with black cubic check carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales--the same material that will be used on the black-bladed Szabo. As such, if you're a fan of the Bolt Action Lock (I am), life is still very good.

Stay safe,

Mike
So this is good news to those of us who know what a great knife the Sage 3 is. The smurf blue as we suspected may have been off-putting to enough consumers to prompt this revamping of the model.

I just thought I would take the opportunity to make a suggestion to Sal and Co. I find that the lock release mechanism is a bit less friendly to use than say the CBBL on the Manix 2. I know that I mentioned this early on after Sal sent me one of the first production models. I had sent him an old Gerber bolt action to examine when they were working on the design and it had a plastic ramped lever that I find much more comfortable to use. The current mechanism on the S3 for example is a bit tricky to use with gloved hands. I would suggest a move to a more ramp like release such as the shape of the original Gerber knife or the Manix 2. The current stepped stud design just doesn't provide as much surface area for the thumb to grab on to as a ramped style mechanism would. I am attaching a photo of the Gerber mechanism below. I think something similar in steel would be a nice improvement. Just my $.02
Attachments
bal1.jpg
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

good idea, i think the biggest turnoff for me is the width though
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wow, that sounds great. I hope it doesn't get TOO expensive. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sage with the CBBL would be awesome. :)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I think that is a good idea. I'm curious if that sort of change still works with the intention of the Sage series or not? Does the actual thumbstud used to actuate the bolt action lock have to be in the spirit of what Blackie Collins designed or can that be altered to make it more friendly to work?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is one of the Sage's that I haven't got to see in person. Can someone post a pic of the thickness difference? It's also the one that interests me the most (lost style that is), but I never liked the smurf blue and figured if I bought one the first thing I'd do is dye it. Depending on how this effects the price, I may be looking into getting one of the new ones.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

I always like the Sage 3 but I wasn't a huge fan of the blue scales. I like that they are changing it.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Evil D wrote:This is one of the Sage's that I haven't got to see in person. Can someone post a pic of the thickness difference? It's also the one that interests me the most (lost style that is), but I never liked the smurf blue and figured if I bought one the first thing I'd do is dye it. Depending on how this effects the price, I may be looking into getting one of the new ones.
I know from watching a video review that the Sage 3 was wider in the handle than the 1 or 2
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I really like the Sage 3. The size is approximately the same as the others - maybe a bit taller - but the G10 and the solid backspacer make it significantly more stout. I do find that I have to use thumb and forefinger on each side of the lock to actuate it, though. This isn't too awkward because I just flip the blade shut using the same motion that I do for the Para2...

This is one of my favorite Spydies.

TedP

gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Sage 3 is my least favorite, it's the BLUE.
The lock was a bear to unlock, then took it apart, polished the contact areas, that worked. It can be one handed with thumb and index finger now.

I like the wider blade, the heaver over all feel. I did "round" the spine of the blade to make it appear narrower. Nice knife.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I always wanted a Sage 3, but held off because of the blue. This is the first I've heard of the new iteration. I'd very much like to have one.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Araneae,

Thanx for the input. I'll bring it up with Eric. Nothing can be done on the next run.

Hi Hawkeye,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx much to all for the input.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. With all the non-love for blue, maybe I'll pick up another one while I still can.

I actually like the blue a lot. :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

araneae wrote:So this is good news to those of us who know what a great knife the Sage 3 is. The smurf blue as we suspected may have been off-putting to enough consumers to prompt this revamping of the model.

I just thought I would take the opportunity to make a suggestion to Sal and Co. I find that the lock release mechanism is a bit less friendly to use than say the CBBL on the Manix 2. I know that I mentioned this early on after Sal sent me one of the first production models. I had sent him an old Gerber bolt action to examine when they were working on the design and it had a plastic ramped lever that I find much more comfortable to use. The current mechanism on the S3 for example is a bit tricky to use with gloved hands. I would suggest a move to a more ramp like release such as the shape of the original Gerber knife or the Manix 2. The current stepped stud design just doesn't provide as much surface area for the thumb to grab on to as a ramped style mechanism would. I am attaching a photo of the Gerber mechanism below. I think something similar in steel would be a nice improvement. Just my $.02
Nicely thought through and stated. I would vote with you. :spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Syncharmony wrote:I think that is a good idea. I'm curious if that sort of change still works with the intention of the Sage series or not? Does the actual thumbstud used to actuate the bolt action lock have to be in the spirit of what Blackie Collins designed or can that be altered to make it more friendly to work?
Considering the stud used is a pretty major change from what Blackie designed, I'd have to say the answer is no. First generation Bolt Action Folder:

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Johnny88

Post by Johnny88 »

My blue sage is awesome and enjoy it along with my Sage 1.....actually worked from home today and can't tell you how many times I opened and closed my blue beauty when reading. Opens butter smooth ,love the blue colour also. Thanks for a great knife Sal. New to the Spyderco world and my next is the Caly 3.5 in ZDP-189. Cheers
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Johnny88 wrote:My blue sage is awesome and enjoy it along with my Sage 1.....actually worked from home today and can't tell you how many times I opened and closed my blue beauty when reading. Opens butter smooth ,love the blue colour also. Thanks for a great knife Sal. New to the Spyderco world and my next is the Caly 3.5 in ZDP-189. Cheers
Welcome to the forum!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
M80

Post by M80 »

I'm excited to see what the new Sage 3 is going to look like but i have a feeling im not going to be crazy about it :o
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Wow. I'm kinda excited for this.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:Hi Araneae,

Thanx for the input. I'll bring it up with Eric. Nothing can be done on the next run.

sal
You are very welcome. Thanks for listening.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal