Pacific Salt Review, Playing With The Ducks! Pics Inside

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Nice drakes. Wishing I was out on the bay hunting ducks. Thanks for sharing.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Great review buddy! I have a some more expensive spydies than my se pacific salt, but none that I really like any better. You covered most everything I love about the knife! I have a question and a couple of suggestions.

Q. We have had some discussions on here about some possible changes to this knife and I would love to hear your input. Many of us believe the se PAC salt might be better if it had a slightly longer plain edge portion at the tip. Im talking about a subtle difference here, but just enough to give you a slightly more usable pe bit at the tip. Look at the se military for an example. What are your thoughts?

Ok, as far as the suggestions...

First, if you don't own a sharpmaker, you should get one. One of my favorite aspects of this knife is how ridiculously easy it is to maintain a hair popping edge with the sharpmaker. Contrary to popular opinion, se h1 will indeed lose it's shaving edge fairly quickly, but it is SUPER easy to sharpen on a sm! I think that guy X4cto has a decent video on youtube.

Second, if you are cleaning ducks and plan to use this fishing I would regrind the spine. I can't recommend this highly enough. I did it to mine and it made the knife way more functional as a a game and fish cleaning tool. Here's a pic of mine. It was very easy to do on the flat side of a bench grinder. Seriously, really easy. Anybody can do it.

Ok bro, enjoy that knife and if you have any questions on the sharpening or the regrind feel free to ask.

Ah yeah, a pic of my reground blade.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think the simple solution is just to grind one less serration at the tip. :) . The finer tip I was pushing for in a new model, but honestly, after doing the regrind and seeing how simple and quick it was, I would probably tell them to just keep making them with the fatter tip (I know some like it), and those of us who want finer tips can regrind. The serration, however, I would like to see as a factory change since I can't fix that. One think I love about this company is Sal reads this stuff and actually listens to us.
Donut

Post by Donut »

For future reference, here's a side by side picture I took in 2010 of a Serrated Para, Millie and Pacific.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks brian. Great pic demonstrating what we are talking about. That pe bit on the pm2 and the Millie looks big enough to have a lot more functionality.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That SE Millie is one sexy beast :cool:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:That SE Millie is one sexy beast :cool:
Yup. I know it's not happening, but every time I pick up my new ti Millie I can't help but imagining it with a serrated h1 blade in it. That would be the holy grail.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dunno man, Sal seems to dig your idea and was really stoked about a "more stout" (his words) new H1 blade and the pics you post show the how and the why. I have a better feeling about your idea making it to production than most that pop up here. Might need to bump that thread for Sal again, eh? ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

You give it a bump! And hey, if by some wild stroke of luck that thing ever gets made, you have to immediately buy two of them, get on an airplane and bring me mine, and paddle out with me on a kayak to christen them!

P.S. I have a sneaky suspicion the new guy, Swigert, might be in for one too! ;)
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I'm definitely in for one!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:You give it a bump! And hey, if by some wild stroke of luck that thing ever gets made, you have to immediately buy two of them, get on an airplane and bring me mine, and paddle out with me on a kayak to christen them!

P.S. I have a sneaky suspicion the new guy, Swigert, might be in for one too! ;)
consider it done and hand delivered!!
mwramos76

Post by mwramos76 »

I love my pacific salt.