How delicate is the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywarp

How delicate is the Delica?

Post by Skywarp »

Just recieved my Superblue Delica and while I've had quite a few Spydies, this is my first Delica. I was surprised how thin the blade is. I was expecting something like my saber Endura but shorter. Has anyone had problems with breaking the tips off these or are they much tougher than they look?
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Much tougher than they look, however you could still break off the tip. Refrain from prying with it....
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Well the only two letters of "Delicate" it's missing is the T and the E. Sorry...had to :) .

They are pretty tough if you use them like a normal knife instead of a screwdriver, awl, or prybar. It certainly won't take similar lateral loads that a Para2, Manix2 etc would since the tip and edge are more acute. That said, you get a degree or precision and slicing performance that those knives (in stock form) can't touch.

If you need to cut heavier things (zip ties, etc) just try to use the heel or middle of the blade instead of the tip if possible. If using the tip, use lighter pressure and sharpness over torque. I would rather lightly saw though something and take my time than rush it and have to re-tip the knife.

my 2 cents.
Freman

Post by Freman »

If you have the FFG version they're a slicer, not a prybar.

Treat them as a knife and they'll last and last and last. Treat them as some other tool and you might break something.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm sure there are folks out there who could break the tip on a 1/4" thick blade. Spyderco did round the Delica 4's tip slightly to make breaking it require a bit more effort. As for me, some of the most aggressive cutting I've done was with a Chaparral, which has a blade .5mm thinner than the Delica's and a beautifully pointy tip that's still as pointy as ever.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

The Deacon wrote:I'm sure there are folks out there who could break the tip on a 1/4" thick blade. Spyderco did round the Delica 4's tip slightly to make breaking it require a bit more effort. As for me, some of the most aggressive cutting I've done was with a Chaparral, which has a blade .5mm thinner than the Delica's and a beautifully pointy tip that's still as pointy as ever.
my chaparral 2 is my most used knife, i used it for construction for the majority of the summer and it held up amazing. developed a tiny bit of vertical play, but the blade is as good as new (asides from scratches)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Cheers Guys.
My EDCs get used for cutting cardboard, wood, rubber, nylon like zip ties etc and other plastic. I prefer the sturdiness of saber grinds to outright slicers but have found VG10 chips and breaks too easily.
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

VG10 or M4, thin pieces of steel snap when they face high lateral loads. Superblue isn't going to be any more robust.

I would thrash on a Saber grind and keep the FFG for what you deem lighter duties.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Skywarp wrote:Cheers Guys.
My EDCs get used for cutting cardboard, wood, rubber, nylon like zip ties etc and other plastic.
That isn't a concern. The very thin tip left by the distal taper is however much weaker than tip which is on the sabre ground models. I would not even try for example to pop the battery out of a cell phone with the tip on the SB Delica let alone opening a paint can, both of those are trivial for the sabre ground models.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Back in D3 days there were a lot of reports of tip breakage. Spyderco responded with the saber ground D4, which was nearly idiot-proof, but not what you'd choose for slicing, say, apples. The current FFG is a good compromise. :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I had the same question for the Delica 4 Wave, with the Emerson Wave opening feature. Is this the same basic structure as the Non wave Delica 4?

ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Delica FFG is a great slicy EDC blade. I would never dream of "prying" anything with it though. It will be fine for most any cutting chores, but yeah don't go sticking it where it don't belong and prying on it. It was my EDC many days before I got my PM2, it actually cuts through material better, WHY, because its thinner!! But yes, for harder use I would choose PM2, or something thicker, but PLEASE no prying!!!
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Holland wrote:my chaparral 2 is my most used knife, i used it for construction for the majority of the summer and it held up amazing. developed a tiny bit of vertical play, but the blade is as good as new (asides from scratches)
Same thing with mine (Chaparral 1 for me though). It's been up lots of cell towers with me, removed the plastic jacket of up to 1 5/8" coax cable, lots of the black UV ties, lots of tape and rope slings, opened lots of beer bottles, and I even use the handle for light prying such as when the hood latch on my truck sticks open...all without any issues whatsoever other than a bit of scratching on the edges of the carbon fiber, and the carbon fiber has held up a LOT beter than I would have expected. No play at all in mine yet, though it feels a tad gritty now so I probably need to clean it...the tip is still good. I don't have a Delica, but I've gifted 2 (3rd soon) and I can't imagine the tip breaking any easier than a Chaparral. Just don't pry hard with it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Skywarp wrote:I was expecting something like my saber Endura but shorter.
If you'd gotten a sabre ground Delica, then you would have been right about that. I use my FFG Delicas a lot and they have handled everything I've asked of them with aplomb. As long as you're not prone to abusing your knife, you'll be fine.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Same thing with mine (Chaparral 1 for me though). ..., opened lots of beer bottles,....
Hey 3rdGenRigger, could you explain how you open bottles with the Chaparral? I can do it with a kitchen knife but I'm not sure I could get the leverage with a Chaparral. What part of the knife pries the cap up?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The spine right where the thumb hole is. Hold it in your right hand (Left if you're South paw) when closed with the spine facing the beer in your opposite hand. Like this, except your left thumb is around the neck of the bottle, and the knife is in your right hand. In practice, the part that pries upwards is either right where the thumb hole is or slightly farther down the blade (Can't hold it in quite perfect orientation like this, but you get the idea). It's very easy and natural once you get the hang of it...you sort of roll your right knuckles off of your left knuckles for leverage against the cap. I've done it with 3 of my other Spydercos as well just as easily...I'll let you guess which ones.

---> Branden
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Ahhh pretty straight forward, thanks for the photo. I've got some good beers in the fridge but I'm not in the mood so it'll have to wait. I'm guessing the Manix, PM2, and the Tuff are good for popping bottle caps, maybe the dragonfly too. The ladybug not so much.

To the OP, I agree with the other responses; as long as you're cutting and not prying it will hold up well.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I find the FFG D4 too thin for me, but not the E4. I have nothing empirical nor have I ruined one, but I ordered an orange D4 when they first dropped and as soon as I unboxed it I returned it for the E4. The Caly 3.5 is also perfect for me, so I am sure it is just perception but I prefer saber on D4
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The orange Delica 4 was in my pocket every day when I was remodeling the front half of my house, including an 800sf slate tile install, and it performed like a champ. It's a tough little knife, but I only used it for cutting and saved the prying tasks for other tools.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Buendia518 wrote: I'm guessing the Manix, PM2, and the Tuff are good for popping bottle caps, maybe the dragonfly too.
Close...I've also done it with my Schempp Tuff (VERY easy lol), my Native FRN, and Chokwe. Haven't tried it with the PM2 yet, but I'm sure it would work just fine.

---> Branden