To patina or not patina?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
c11642

To patina or not patina?

Post by c11642 »

Hey guys Im on the fence. I can't decide if i should force a patina on my Delica superblue or leave it to do it naturally. I probably wont carry it much so its going to be babied. What do you guys think? Thanks
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Naturally acquired patina has much more character.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I probably wouldn't bother since 70% or so of the exposed steel is 420ss (or something similar). The again, my Super Blue Caly3 is incessantly coated with Tuf-Cloth so perhaps I'm a tad biased :) .
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Well, how many other knives in your collection have a nice patina on them? If you prefer it to look unique, go with the patina, if you prefer it to stay with the same aesthetic as the rest of the collection, keep the patina at bay.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Personally I wouldn't have anything but stainless. I have a large German Eye lockback Sodbuster somewhere in my car that is eaten up with not only patina but rust spots. I'm too bad to get in a hurry peel an apple or something and put the knife away without properly cleaning it. I don't even like Damascus because most of it will rust plus it has a rough feel to it.
M80

Post by M80 »

I would let it get its patina naturally.
phaust

Post by phaust »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Personally I wouldn't have anything but stainless. I have a large German Eye lockback Sodbuster somewhere in my car that is eaten up with not only patina but rust spots. I'm too bad to get in a hurry peel an apple or something and put the knife away without properly cleaning it. I don't even like Damascus because most of it will rust plus it has a rough feel to it.
How does that help the OP when he already owns the knife? :p
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I faced the same decision with a Gayle Bradley. I chose to force a patina. If I had it to do over again I would not.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Let it happen naturally and don't baby it :)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Surfingringo wrote:I faced the same decision with a Gayle Bradley. I chose to force a patina. If I had it to do over again I would not.
Why would you not do it again? Looks? Performance?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

c11642 wrote:I probably wont carry it much so its going to be babied.
If it's going to sit in a drawer, why not put a light coat of oil on it? Then if you decide to sell it someday, it still looks mint. Besides, most of the actual Super Blue is covered up anyway. If you decide to patina, I'd just let it happen naturally. Forced patinas can be tricky and I've had poor results more often than good when trying for the mottled effect. That said, a quick dip in boiling vinegar can get things off to a decent start if you're impatient ...

Gordon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Syncharmony wrote:Why would you not do it again? Looks? Performance?
Mainly because it was a pain getting m4 to take a patina. I spent several days alternately soaking in vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, etc and it ended up looking pretty rough. I finally managed to get a decent overall patina, but I remember thinking halfway through the process..."man, I should have just let it happen".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm to the point with my M4 Manix 2 that I'm gonna carry it and use it regardless of rust formation or not. I'll coat the pivot with Tuf Glide and the rest will be what it is. Even pitting rust can be removed and the spots left from it just add to the character.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

The natural patina tells a story... And you see which parts of the blade you really use...

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
c11642

Post by c11642 »

Thanks for all the replies guys. :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

i just forced a patina on one of my 1095 traditional folders....I took cider vinegar and slowly brought it up to just under a simmer and let it go a few minutes to let some of the water evaporate. Then I used a qtip to brush the vinegar on the blade. Brush and let semi dry, repeat...gave a really good patina that was very even.run under water when it gets dark enough. Let it fully dry. I then coated with tuf glide (not sure that this was necessary but I figured why not). then oiled the pivot...

just in case you or anyone wanted a really good way to force a patina.
On the hunt for...
Holland

Post by Holland »

Natural all the way, wish I wouldn't have forced my caly3 at the start
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
paladin

Post by paladin »

You can give it an initial FrogLube conditioning, especially the more inaccessible areas, then let the chips fall where they may...that's what I did with my Gayle Bradley, it will develop a mild patina as the FrogLube's protection wears/weakens... not as dramatic as mustard, grapefruit juice, strawberries, potatoes, or such. It will usually develop a slight patina around the Spyderhole and other contact areas....if subtle is what you're going for this may be the ticket. You can somewhat better "control" the process if you don't like the path the patina's taking and it'll be easier to clean the slate, polish the blade and start over. Give your blade a "booster" shot of Frog Lube to slow down the whole process to a crawl. Of course there are a lot of variables which affect FrogLube's protective properties as it is not a bulletproof rust prohibitor, YMMV. Hard use, wet use, etc. will decrease it's effectiveness. It's a great American product that I learned about from this board and it's food safe to boot!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I say let it develop naturally if you are wanting a patina (two-tone) look or keep it protected with a coating of oil if you prefer the factory finish. Patina should be minimal depending on your normal cutting media for a "normal day"
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

go natural. that's what I decided to do.

the only problem is this super blue just won't stain at all for me under normal use. lol. it has lived in my work pants pocket for weeks. I stopped even marginally wiping it down after use. no stains.

the soft stainless cladding gets super scratched up though.