Best Smaller Spyderco for Xmas Present?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Another choice would be the Spyderco Chicago. Around $40.00 with a 2 inch blade and G10 that's legal almost everywhere. Carries nicely in Levi's watch pocket.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
M80

Post by M80 »

Dragonfly or maybe the Balance ;)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Dragonfly. The stainless handled version. A lot of people perceive a knife with more heft as being of better quality. And a lot of people perceive FRN as being cheap or plasticky. Most knife afi's know better but someone who is new to knives might not. Gifting the stainless Dragonfly could possibly be like a "gateway knife" and perhaps lead him to purchase other Spydercos.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dragonfly, Cricket, etc.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Definitely the Dragonfly maybe in the lightweight so long as it has a plain edge and full flat grind. Those are built like a Rolex. you don't want to give a Man a knife called a Ladybug or a Chinese made knife with cheap steel.
jifigz

Post by jifigz »

Out of curiosity, where is the Cat made? Where it is made will not hinder my opinion on buying it because I know that this company churns out quality knives from all of their facilities, albeit some facilities are undoubtedly of higher quality. I am rather unfamiliar with this particular model.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Dragonfly or Chapparel if he wants an actual pocket knife or a G-10 or ZDP FRN Manbug if he wants to attach it to a keychain.
M80

Post by M80 »

jifigz wrote:Out of curiosity, where is the Cat made? Where it is made will not hinder my opinion on buying it because I know that this company churns out quality knives from all of their facilities, albeit some facilities are undoubtedly of higher quality. I am rather unfamiliar with this particular model.
Its made in Taiwan.
SIGnificant

Post by SIGnificant »

Pingo might be a good choice as well. Great little pocket pal.
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

araneae wrote:The Cat is not discontinued to the best of my knowledge.

I would not hesitate to think of the Cat. It's well made IMO and I think the new ones have jimping too. Other good choices would be a Dragonfly or Manbug.

If he appreciates and uses the knife you can always move him up to a Delica sized knife later.
I bought one just couples months ago. There is no jimpling. The f &f is okay. After some cardboard cutting or flip a lot, it has plays. (not only side to side but some up and down)

440c is just no way to compare with s30 or vg10. IMHO, I wont send it as a gift.

if considering it is a valued folder for dirty job, I am totally fine with this.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Dragonfly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Although my mind says "Dragonfly," my heart tells me "Manbug." ;) For its size, it is very hard to beat the Manbug for cutting potential. I would especially suggest the Manbug in light of the fact that your brother isn't very familiar with knives. A larger knife (yes, even the Dragonfly) might be considered to be "too big" for some folks as an EDC. The Manbug, however, fits nicely in any pocket and would be a great introductory model for someone just getting started in knives. You could always get him the G-10 Manbug if you want to dress things up a bit. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I gave my wife and boys (25 and 22 now) Ladybugs one Christmas several years back and they're all still carrying them and using them frequently. :spyder:
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

The Dragonfly is one of the best little big knives out there. He can clip it or just drop it in his pocket if he is leery about carrying a knife. I'm sometimes hesitant suggesting to small of a knife to someone that is not used to handling a folding knife. I find that when I show some of my knives to people that may be unfamiliar, they have a harder time manipulating the smaller ones. JMO
:spyder:
Dan
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jay_Ev wrote:Dragonfly. The stainless handled version. A lot of people perceive a knife with more heft as being of better quality. And a lot of people perceive FRN as being cheap or plasticky. Most knife afi's know better but someone who is new to knives might not. Gifting the stainless Dragonfly could possibly be like a "gateway knife" and perhaps lead him to purchase other Spydercos.
Stole my line, bro! SS Dfly all day long. Mine was a gift and is engraved which makes it more special. It really feels quality that anyone can assess, vs FRN that we know is great but non-afi's think is cheap. Get it engraved..."real nice, Clark, real nice"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:Can't go wrong with a DragonFly. One of the best knives on the market - bar none.

TedP
Can't really argue with points this strong!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Can't go wrong with the Dragonfly
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The orange Dragonfly with VG-10 is available at a good price, and as others have said the H-1 is rust free, I would be proud to get either of these for Christmas. My daughter bought the stainless handle version with the multicolor dragonfly etching. While "pretty" she didn't realize what a beast of a cutter she was getting in a small package. Dragonfly :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

CF chaparral! G10 dfly would be awesome as well
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

manbug dragonfly

not so small but light cheap and very handy in a lot of task's the ukpk