Stretch vs Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
_centurio_

Stretch vs Delica

Post by _centurio_ »

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask you for opinions on these 2 knives for EDC.

I already own a Stretch FRN ZDP-189 version, but it is worn down and I like Vg-10 better for EDC Tasks, even for the sharpness it takes. Stretch fits very good in my hands.

I have problems with too small handles, even my hand size is only 9. No clue about that :)

Thank you

Oliver
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I would always go for the Stretch, the handle is more ergonomic and I'm a big fan of the 50/50-choil.
Anyway, for glove size no. 9 the handle of the Delica should be sufficient.

cheers,
Marcus
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally I think the Stretch is about 110% better than the Delica, but I do have very large hands. If you have smallish hands, the Delica may fit your hand much better than mine and you may like the feel of it more than I do. Other than the grip, the Delica is a great general purpose knife, I just don't think it measures up to the Stretch by any means.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

The Stretch - I carry the VG-10 often, has that fit in my hand that is just right, and prefer the blade shape for the task I perform.
The Delica - would not be bad choice is you elect, there is more options on handle color which would be a plus.

I would probably get the Stretch VG-10 and change handles to your ZDP-189 - note this would void the warrantee.
Blue Possum
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Delica has a thinner blade which means that the FFG version could, at least theoretically, be a better slicer than the Stretch. It has a sub 3" blade, which makes it legal in some places where the Stretch would not be. Still, the Stretch is my favorite EDC folder while I can't remember the last time I had a Delica in my pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

Both are great knives, but I really like the ubiquitous Delica for EDC. The Delica will be legal to carry just about everywhere due to it's sub-3 inch blade. If self-defense is one of the reasons(or even the primary reason) you EDC a knife, an identical training version is available. In some States(like Illinois) 3" blades are the dividing line between the knife technically being a "deadly weapon" in legal terms.

For what's it worth(and it's worth a lot in my opinion), Michael Janich says he usually EDC's a pair of Delica's when traveling and ones that are custom ground ones to 2.5" when in Chicago to comply with their laws.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Thanks a lot!

I live in Austria, no problem with laws, even Balisongs can be carried ;)
But for me the aspect of self defence with a knife is irrelevant.

I think I will go for the Stretch again.

Oliver
acer

Post by acer »

I have owned both, still have the stretch hope this helps. There is something about the choil which I like.
JoePepper

Post by JoePepper »

I have five Delicas and two Stretchs but if I had to choose one it would be a Stretch VG-10.
Rule#9:Never go anywhere without a Spyderco
Delica4 G-10, Delica4 BRG ZDP189, Delica4 Blue ZDP189,Delica4 SuperBlue,Delica4 Black VG-10,Stretch VG-10,Stretch Blue ZDP189,Manix2 CTS-XHP,Manix2 M4,Black Paramilitary2 S30V,Gray Paramilitary2 CTS20CP,Blue Paramilitary2 M390,Orange Paramilitary2CTS-XHP,Black Dragonfly2,Orange Dragonfly2 , Dragonfly2 G-10,Gayle Bradley M4, Superhawk VG-10,Native III VG-10,Sage I,Yellow Tasman Salt,Centofante 4
eric m.

stretch vs delica

Post by eric m. »

I have a stretch vg10 combo edge and a delica4 plain edge and I love them both! If you could, based upon the above comments, get both! If you have to settle for one get the stretch. The difference in size could be the difference. Where you carry could make your decision. I love them both but the stretch has the blade shape I love and it is light enough and small enough to be carried anywhere, baring legal issues! :)
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I have a stretch vg10 combo edge and a delica4 plain edge and i love them both! If you could, based upon the above comments, get both! If you have to settle for one get the stretch. The difference in size could be the difference. where you carry could be the difference! I love them both but the stretch has my all-time favorite blade shape!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Delica fits my smaller hand perfectly. I prefer it to the Stretch probably because I find the Stretch's blade shape to be ugly.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Feel free to send your worn down stretch to me for proper "disposal". ;)
_centurio_ wrote:Hey guys,

I wanted to ask you for opinions on these 2 knives for EDC.

I already own a Stretch FRN ZDP-189 version, but it is worn down and I like Vg-10 better for EDC Tasks, even for the sharpness it takes. Stretch fits very good in my hands.

I have problems with too small handles, even my hand size is only 9. No clue about that :)

Thank you

Oliver
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

araneae wrote:Feel free to send your worn down stretch to me for proper "disposal". ;)
Hehe, I will give it to a friend who is knifemaker to fix that :P
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The delica was the first of your two choices that I fell in love with. I came into them shortly before the FFG became the trend. They made excellent slicers and terrific edc knives. You really can't go wrong with the delica, but the stretch was always a curious model for me. I owned the original SS model first and it was all down hill from there. I like how thin the SS version carries and the kraton inserts provided all the traction I needed when combined with the jimping. Not long after I handled an FRN model, but saw no need in the VG-10 so opted for the ZDP version. I thing the 50/50 choil has almost become a must have for me so I would now choose the Stretch over the Delica 9/10 times. Ironically, just today I picked up a NIB ZDP-189 / CF Stretch for my collection. Happy hunting.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
iyn

Post by iyn »

I can control the Delica for EDC tasks better than the stretch and non knife office people don't get scared by it. Stretch is my "big" knife.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Delica handle sucks in my opinion, and the Stretch I have never handled.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Delica fits my hand like a a glove, and the stretch is also very comfortable for me. Zdp delica gets my vote.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Stretch vs. Delica, this is a tough choice. But since I am confident that both will perform more than satisfactory, I advice you to choose the one who hits your fancy the most.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Sort of an outside the box response here, but have you handled the "R" model at all? It's kind of an upsized Delica with a 50/50 choil, and I actually prefer it to the Stretch. It carries similarly, and has a similar amount of edge (although blade shape is different), but I prefer the deeper choil and more gearlike jimping on the "R." For me the choil on the Stretch is too shallow and wide, but I have smaller hands and fingers. See here for pics next to the Stretch: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... thard+pics

The most recent run was a nishijin sprint, which has slick scales and may be a deal breaker, but if not, they weren't particularly popular and are probably not too hard to find. I might be the only one who likes their "R" more than the Stretch, but maybe not.