2014 Spyderco Discontinued Product List - Official

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

hard to believe the Sage 4 is more popular than the Sage 3
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It would appear nobody loves the combo edges these days.
All God's critters have knives.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Looks like i'll have to get another military black combo edge today, just so I have a spare! You're right, it seems only a few people recognize the diversity of a combo-edge knife these days!
angusW

Post by angusW »

It is indeed a short list this year. Nothing on there I'm after this time.

I don't know if many people are like me but I always carry a pe and se knife so it negates the idea of a ce knife, at least for me it does.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

M80 wrote:Gotta get a Sage 3 and Szabo Folder
I believe the Szabo with satin blade and gold line carbon fiber which was discontinued a few months back is what this list refers to, but the black bladed version with the cubic check carbon fiber is sticking around.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Glad the Tuff was spared the noose for a year, I need to commit to getting one
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Sage is purely due to the color. I guarantee it. If it had been released in black or something else less obnoxious, it would probably make it another year...or more even.

Ah the Junior...sad to see it go. I really really liked the design. It was just too small for my hands. If a Junior XL is ever made...I would be very happy.
On the hunt for...
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:The Sage is purely due to the color. I guarantee it. If it had been released in black or something else less obnoxious, it would probably make it another year...or more even.

Ah the Junior...sad to see it go. I really really liked the design. It was just too small for my hands. If a Junior XL is ever made...I would be very happy.
I agree with the Sage 3.

If it was black it would have sold better.... Blue gives it a cheaper toy look to it.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I'm glad I have a Junior. I think it's a lot of knife for the size and especially the weight...great little knife!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Hmm..I'm trying to stick with blue knives, so I may have to make a move for a Sage 3.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd have to agree on the Sage 3. That Smurf blue is just not my thing. It's a shame too because out of the whole lineup that's the lock that interests me the most. I'd like to see that knife with the CF scales of the Sage 1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the heads-up, Kristi. Looks like I'll be hunting for a blue Smurf this weekend. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
M80

Post by M80 »

jabba359 wrote:I believe the Szabo with satin blade and gold line carbon fiber which was discontinued a few months back is what this list refers to, but the black bladed version with the cubic check carbon fiber is sticking around.
I've been looking at the satin one i'm not sure if i like the looks of the all black one yet i'm not really feeling the scales they used on it.
skywalker1

Post by skywalker1 »

Time to get myself a Junior now, I guess :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's a pretty modest list, compared to previous years. I'm happy I got a Sage 3, or else I'd be scrambling to get one asap.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
bh49

Post by bh49 »

it is sad to see balance go.................
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sorry to see any Sage go, but that's not shocking.

Also a little sorry about the CEs - just a continuation of the SE trend (which I actually regretted more). :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally I think the decline in SE/CE is due to the advancement of steel in general. It used to be that serrations had a real advantage over plain edge because they held an edge longer and cut more aggressively. While those things are still true now, better steel means plain edge holds an edge much longer than it used to, and I think what we're seeing is more people being able to live without the need for teeth because of it. Basically, serrations will always cut rope better than plain edge, but there are steels now that allow a plain edge to cut and continue cutting rope well enough that unless you're a sailor or have a need for cutting things like rope on a regular basis, most people are getting by just fine without serrations.

Either that, or perhaps the market for serrations (not meaning how us knife fanatics view things, but the general knife buying public) is such that the people who want and need them the most are buying them in the Rescue and Salt series knives, since those knives already cater to the type of uses where serrations work best. In other words, a paramedic/fireman/fisherman who's looking for a serrated knife isn't looking for a serrated Para 2 or Military, they're looking for the Rescue type blades that are designed for their line of work, so the sales for those other knives just isn't there despite the fact that the small group of enthusiasts still want them. I would love to have a fully serrated Para 2 in S30V, that's one knife I would love to see a sprint run for. Otherwise, the death of the combo edge is just natural selection at work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D,

Very well thought out post. I see lots of combo edges at work with our operational staff, and they are typically something from Wal Mart, beat to a pulp, and on folks who are not into knives for much besides separating two things. I bet most end up thrown away dull, with a snapped tip, and filthy with grease, glue, and gunk. It would be wrong to say CE appeals to the novice as much as to say CE appeals to those who have no plans on maintaining and the longevity of the tool. Just my experience that these guys use the PE until it goes dull and then use the SE until the tip snaps.
araneae

Post by araneae »

bh49 wrote:it is sad to see balance go.................
But not a surprise at that price. I will try to snag one if if find a good deal.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal