Ulize sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Ulize sprint?

Post by Popsickle »

Anyone think a Ulize with ZDP-189 would be an awesome sprint?
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Sure. What kind of scales? Same or different?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have only handled the Ulize breifly, but I would certainly like a ZDP sprint as long as it was solid and not laminated.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes. :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

How popular is the Ulize? I don't ever see much about it on this forum.

That being said more power to you guys, not really my cup of tea.
Holland

Post by Holland »

its not my favourite model, not sure its popular enough to warrant a sprint
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have been very intrigued about this model from the get go. I'm sure that if I found one to handle, I'd certainly have to buy it. However there's so much on the want list right now it just never made its way to the top. I anticipate a similar situation for the hungarian folder (for me, not a speculation on its popularity). Chalk it up to spyderco continuously coming out with must have stuff!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

tvenuto wrote:I have been very intrigued about this model from the get go. I'm sure that if I found one to handle, I'd certainly have to buy it. However there's so much on the want list right now it just never made its way to the top. I anticipate a similar situation for the hungarian folder (for me, not a speculation on its popularity). Chalk it up to spyderco continuously coming out with must have stuff!
same here. ive also never been a fan of pinned construction but im going to check it out.

Sal , is the ulize doing well enough to warrant a sprint down the line?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

You really want to sharpen a ZDP recurve? The Ulize is so big, it could spawn a Lil' Ulize and still be a substantial knife. Actually would prefer a Lil Ulize and in anything but ZDP
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

twinboysdad wrote:You really want to sharpen a ZDP recurve? The Ulize is so big, it could spawn a Lil' Ulize and still be a substantial knife. Actually would prefer a Lil Ulize and in anything but ZDP
ill take super blue lol. Honestly I just want a recurve in something other than VG-10. its a good steel but I prefer others. and other than ZT, no one makes a nice recurve.

hopefully ill get the ulize within a week or so

also... a lil ulize could be fun!
swissknife
Location: beautiful switzerland with not so ugly knive-laws anymore.. ;)

Post by swissknife »

twinboysdad wrote:You really want to sharpen a ZDP recurve? The Ulize is so big, it could spawn a Lil' Ulize and still be a substantial knife. Actually would prefer a Lil Ulize and in anything but ZDP
haha, is it really THAT big? i guess i'll find out, i can pick it up tomorrow at the post office! :D
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

swissknife wrote:haha, is it really THAT big? i guess i'll find out, i can pick it up tomorrow at the post office! :D
let me know how you like it!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Popsickle wrote:same here. ive also never been a fan of pinned construction but im going to check it out.
The Ulize is not pinned.

I love my Ulize. It doesn't get enough pocket time though. Maybe I'll remedy that tonight.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really like the Ulize, but as of yet I haven't figured out a good way to sharpen it with my Edge Pro. This has kept me from using and carrying it as much as I'd like.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I love my Ulize. It doesn't get enough pocket time though. Maybe I'll remedy that tonight.
I must confess that when I first saw the Ulize I loved the design - that long, sweeping recurved blade and the thin police-inspired handle.

Then I handled one and found it was not the knife for me: I didn't really like the smaller blade hole (12mm as opposed to the 14mm on my Manix 2 LW) and the lack of a forward finger choil compared to the police 3. Also the extreme thinness of the handle (left to right, not top to bottom) seems a bit inappropriate to me in a knife this size. Also I have pretty large hands.

Glad you like yours :)
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

I love my Ulize. I have had it for almost a year and it is my constant companion. Super light but super strong. I carry it tip down and it is very fast to deploy. I have not tried to sharpen it yet but I will be ordering the SharpMaker soon and will give it a try. Love the recurve blade and the angled grip. Truly a light fighter.