New Dragonfly2, one question.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JHR

New Dragonfly2, one question.

Post by JHR »

Hi, spyderco fans.

I recently received my third Spyderco knife, a green Dragonfly2. Love the ergonomics and the blade came typical Spyderco sharp.

I am only a little bit concerned about the color of the tip. It looks as though the tip might have overheated during manufacturing. I don't mind the look, but I am a little concerned that it may affect the performance or durability of the tip during use. I'll post some pics. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Holland

Post by Holland »

Very interesting, I'm not much help when it comes to these things, but I'm sure many others will chime in.

Welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JHR

Post by JHR »

Thanks, glad to be here!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

That certainly does look like heat discoloration which could affect the heat treat on the tip. My suggestion is to use it and if you can tell a noticeable difference in edge retention at the tip send it back to Spyderco and I have faith they will make it right.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
JHR

Post by JHR »

Ferris Wheels wrote:That certainly does look like heat discoloration which could affect the heat treat on the tip. My suggestion is to use it and if you can tell a noticeable difference in edge retention at the tip send it back to Spyderco and I have faith they will make it right.
Ah. Is there some sort of chemical I can use to clean off the discoloration, or perhaps a good way to buff it out?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

You might try Flitz or Simichrome metal polish. Do not use a buffer of any sort unless you want to burn the rest of the blade. Frankly, I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between the tip and the rest of the blade, performance-wise.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JHR

Post by JHR »

yablanowitz wrote:Frankly, I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between the tip and the rest of the blade, performance-wise.
Now that's what I like to hear!
Holland

Post by Holland »

yablanowitz wrote:You might try Flitz or Simichrome metal polish. Do not use a buffer of any sort unless you want to burn the rest of the blade. Frankly, I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between the tip and the rest of the blade, performance-wise.
good point
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JHR,

Welcome to our forum.

If you can't sort it, we'll sort it for you.

sal