i need a new knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swissknife
Location: beautiful switzerland with not so ugly knive-laws anymore.. ;)

i need a new knife!

Post by swissknife »

hey guys!

i lost my knife.. and need a new one!

so far, my first one was a worker at the age of 12 or so..

then i've had a police and a civilian, but unfortunately, at the time, knives that can be opened with one hand were illegal and they got seized..

i got myself another police when laws changed again..

REALLY, either i like spending money on knives or i'm just to careless not to loose them..

somewhere inbetween i also owned a harpy..

last one was probably either a delica or an endura.

all of them, except the civilian (g-10) had SS-handles which i really like - for me, they're part of the character of a spydie!

most of them were plain edged except the harpy and the civilian.

i like using my knives for all sorts of stuff, and i like a BIG blade; i dont care much for the looks of others.

i would really like a flat ground blade for once, most others were hollow ground.

oh yea, before i forget, i THINK most steels were VG-10, which i liked, but i wouldnt mind trying something more "exotic"! :)

got any recommendations for me?

cheers,
c.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If you like big and plain edge I would have to suggest the Police 3 (G-10) or possible the Ulize. Maybe the G-10 models will help stay in your pocket with the additional texture.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

xceptnl wrote:If you like big and plain edge I would have to suggest the Police 3 (G-10) or possible the Ulize. Maybe the G-10 models will help stay in your pocket with the additional texture.
probably that wouldnt be bad, now, would it!? :D

havent seen the ulize yet, nice one!

i might add, i also wouldnt mind a fixed blade for a change; but yea, folders are cool! :)
i think i'll have to stay with a folder.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Caly 3.5. Comes in VG-10 and ZDP-189 so you can be "regular" or "exotic".
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Holland

Post by Holland »

any pm2 sprint, military sprint, manix 2 sprint, gayle bradley, caly3.5, or perhaps the manix xl would fill your needs.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

Military ti is always a good choice ;)
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Brown Calypso Sprint
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

that's a lot of suggestions guys, thanks a lot! :)

i never really got warm with the idea of g-10 to be honest, but, i must admit, it'd made the civilian a nice grip; the SS-handles make a folder very SLIM - which i like a lot - and still packs a huge blade (like a police for example)!

i feel, i'm kinda narrowing my choices down of some sort; pm; military, yet ANOTHER police.. and i really like the ulize for some reason! altough i've never been too much of a fan of curved blades - i kinda like them rather straight than not.
i might be in for another police, i'd give it a try in g-10, just for measures.
try to convince me otherwise.. :/
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

just watching a video of a pm2 in all black - sexy! :)
K1W1

Post by K1W1 »

Another vote for the Ulize. I have not owned one but I did get to handle one at SFO recently. Its a very slim knife which is great.
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

i like a big blade in a slim shape!

definitly checking on the ulize! :)
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

The ergonomics of the ulize are phenomenal. I own one of 50 pieces with Uli's signature. Too bad i ground a lot off the blade so I have to let it be reground.

Manix2XL (with S30V) is also a great knife, but I do not like the overly aggressive jimping.

Endura/Delica/Stretch with ZDP-189 are also nice. But you need diamond abrasives to sharpen that stuff properly. In my opinion the Sharpmaker's ceramic rods are not enough to sharpen it.

olli
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

i just pulled the trigger on a new ulize on ebay, shipping from canada! :)
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Congrats on your new purchase! The Ulize is one I haven't seen in person yet, but it sure looks sweet! I may do some investigations on that one!

Since you mentioned that you like larger, straighter blades, and that you preferred the Stainless Steel handles, you may want to look for a Chokwe. I was on the fence on this model for a bit, but with some research into it, done mostly on this forum, I took the plunge one one, and I am very happy I did. It has a large, straight, and beautiful blade with a very fine tip for seriously controlled cutting capabilities. And, it has one scale in G10 while the other is Titanium with a frame lock. It covers all the bases you mentioned, and it feels perfect in my mid to large sized hands. Control is excellent, to be sure! I can't say enough good things about it!

Again, congratulations, and enjoy your incoming Spydie! Let us know when it arrives, and your imipressions of it!
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 is the only way to go.
Senate

Post by Senate »

Hi swissknife

aside from the recommendation (get a PM2 ;) ) could you elaborate on the change of law (again...)?

i spend time in Switzerland every now and then, mostly in the backcountry though, and would like to know more...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Resilience?
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

The Chokwe has a beautiful action, fulfills all your stated requirements, and is very comfortable in the hand.It has real style, too.
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

Senate wrote:Hi swissknife

aside from the recommendation (get a PM2 ;) ) could you elaborate on the change of law (again...)?

i spend time in Switzerland every now and then, mostly in the backcountry though, and would like to know more...
you're fine with no automatics (push a button - produce a blade), no balisongs or butterflies, no symmetrical fixed blades. other than that, do not bring your knife to a football-match or a nightclub - this could be understood as using it as a weapon. do not bring throwing knives or shuriken (throwing stars).

basically you could get into trouble for having a baseball-bat in your car and you cannot prove that you're actually a baseball-player on his way to training or a match - because it's a "dangerous item" - same way as you should not bring a screwdriver to a nightclub if you're not an electrician going to fix their lights..

the law for some time was that you were not allowed to have a knife that could be operated single-handedly - basically banning all spyderco's. check out the newer SAK's which kind of copied the spyderhole. they came about when the weapon-laws had changed again.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're at all a Police fan, I'd have to recommend the Ulize. It really is a lot of blade in a super slim package. Otherwise I'd say just go with what you like, buy another Police and take the clip off and bend it so that it clips tighter onto your pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David