i need a new knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swissknife
Location: beautiful switzerland with not so ugly knive-laws anymore.. ;)

Post by swissknife »

Evil D wrote:If you're at all a Police fan, I'd have to recommend the Ulize. It really is a lot of blade in a super slim package. Otherwise I'd say just go with what you like, buy another Police and take the clip off and bend it so that it clips tighter onto your pocket.
i ended up ordering a ulize from S&R knives! cant wait to actually receive it! :)

cannot seem to find a chokwe, i'd be interested in that one as well. and seeing your sigline, the yojimbo looks nice too! :)
Senate

Post by Senate »

thanks for the update.
indeed last time i was there, without knowing the law changed back, i saw the SAKs with the spyderhole and thought to myself they must a have got a free pass cause they're "locals". :rolleyes:
glad it changed!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

Senate wrote:thanks for the update.
indeed last time i was there, without knowing the law changed back, i saw the SAKs with the spyderhole and thought to myself they must a have got a free pass cause they're "locals". :rolleyes:
glad it changed!
believe me, i was happy it changed back.. been a spyderfan for a LOOONG TIME, and honestly, everything else is just - meeh..
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Kinda like "what car should I get" but here goes ... :)

I tend to like smaller blades (ti Chapparal, Delicas, etc.) but my Southard is one of the best of my 30 or so Spydercos.
It has a 3.46" blade (small for some folks-big for me) but the quality, strength(Ti), design, steel(CTS-204P), blade grind(HG) ... all that ... makes this knife stand out to me.
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

i really only asked to find out if there was something new in the segment of knives i like - just like the ulize i've ordered - otherwise i never would of heard about it. :)
JB3

Post by JB3 »

swissknife wrote:i really only asked to find out if there was something new in the segment of knives i like - just like the ulize i've ordered - otherwise i never would of heard about it. :)

Always good to be informed before buying. I bought a Strider PT from a recommendation by a good friend, and I enjoy that knife.
It was just hard knowing if my perspective would help you make decision, when there are so many more newer models being produced these days.
I missed your original post that said you bought a Ulize ... very cool knife. I hope you'll share how it's working for you after you get it!
DoKnowHarm

Post by DoKnowHarm »

Spyderco military! Its a big blade and is the best knife i have ever owned and carried. I have knives that cost 4 times as much and i still carry the military more. choose your poison. G10 or titanium. I promise you will love it!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

_centurio_ wrote: Endura/Delica/Stretch with ZDP-189 are also nice. But you need diamond abrasives to sharpen that stuff properly. In my opinion the Sharpmaker's ceramic rods are not enough to sharpen it.

olli
I'd like to add a comment or two about sharpening ZDP-189. I agree 100% that to be able to do whatever you want to an edge on ZDP you need more aggressive stones than the fine grit Spyderco stones. I haven't tried the med. stone but I'm betting it's not aggressive enough to remove a lot of steel quickly if you needed to. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong about this. If you want to re-profile or sharpen a very dull ZDP edge the Spyderco stones are not the best choice. I have DMT bench stones and Shapton glass stones for the EP. Moldmaster 320 grit also handles ZDP pretty good on my EP.

But if the ZDP blade comes very sharp from the box the Spyderco fine grit and ultra-fine grit stones will maintain a SUPER sharp edge with no problem. Actually the UF grit is not needed. It's a great stone and I love using it but the fine grit is PLENTY fine enough for 99% of a pocket knife's uses IMO. The key is not to let ZDP get dull enough that more steel needs to be removed. EVERY SINGLE ZDP Spyderco I've had came SUPER SUPER sharp out of the box. So IMO a Spyderco fine grit bench stone or sharpmaker rod is all that is needed to maintain a sharp ZDP blade. But after several touch-ups you will need to thin (reprofile) the blade edge angles. For this Centurio is right. You will need some more aggressive stones to do this unless you want to spend hours on the fine grit or even the medium stone I believe.

I just wanted to through this in for anyone is considering buying a ZDP knife for the first time. Another tip for maintaining ZDP IMO is to always use a miro bevel. Some steels are easy to sharpen using a single bevel. Single (wider) bevels are more difficult to maintain a consistant edge angle. Steel removal also is much slower because of the larger contact area. But using a micro bevel makes touching up ZDP much easier. I learned this the hard way. My first experiences with ZDP were a nightmare.

BACK ON SUBJECT:
Congratulations on a new knife. Enjoy it. :)
GAMBIT61

Post by GAMBIT61 »

swissknife wrote:i like a big blade in a slim shape!

definitly checking on the ulize! :)
I have a Ulize and am very impressed with the build quality and design. It is a keeper!
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

so, now a proud owner of a ulize!

i was a little worried about the size from a post last night, but having carried an SS-police for a long time.. it's manageable! folded up it's not as wide as an endura and just a pinch thicker.

qualitywisee it's what we come to expect from spyderco, outstanding!

i still think i'd like SS-scales better, while g-10 is fine and dandy.. meh, spyderco's for me will always be SS! i might start liking it better once i carry it arround. it sure holds nice in the pcket though!

the only downside would be the spyderhole; i'd like it to be 14mm instead of 12mm, it is actually a tad lower than the scales, and thus not as easy to open as other spydies that i've owned.

all in all it's a pretty slim and elegant folder, the design makes it very lightweight. you'd swear the knife you hold in your hands is way smaller.
swissknife

Post by swissknife »

eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Got to get the GAYLE BRADLEY! That knife looks great and once you get it in your hands, well it's over!