How many Spyderco P'kal versions are there?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nocternum

How many Spyderco P'kal versions are there?

Post by Nocternum »

I have noticed that there is a difference between the locking mechanisms on the p'kal knives on the Internet. Some have a transparent plastic/resin lock others have a black lock and others still seem to have a slightly smaller looking possibly metal?? Lock. Also those with the metal looking lock have a different handle rivit layout compared to the knives with te plastic locks. The blade choil on the metal lock version is different to the other two as well. I am planning on making a purchase so Could you please explain the difference to me between these models? I would really appreciate the info. I have attached Images to explain what I mean. [ATTACH]22866[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22867[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22868[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on how you define a version. For Spyderco, each version has a distinct SKU#, so by their logic there are only two versions of the P'kal, the live blade with the black G-10 handle and the trainer with the red G-10 handle. The cage color may have changed at some point, from clear resin to black resin, but minor changes like that are not considered versions by Spyderco. As for the one with the jimping, not sure where that photo came from but I'm guessing that it's a fake.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Nocternum

Post by Nocternum »

Thanks Holland!
Deacon, thanks a lot for the reply. I was just wondering because I read somewhere about counterfeit p'kals and also seconds on the market. As for the picture of the extended choil, there's a whole bunch of those if you look on google images ad even ebay.com.
Nocternum

Post by Nocternum »

Anyone else got any comments?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nocternum wrote:Anyone else got any comments?
Nope. The Deacon is correct. :)

Buy from a trusted dealer to ensure you get a real one.
Nocternum

Post by Nocternum »

Thanks for the conformation
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nocternum wrote:Deacon, thanks a lot for the reply. I was just wondering because I read somewhere about counterfeit p'kals and also seconds on the market. As for the picture of the extended choil, there's a whole bunch of those if you look on google images ad even ebay.com.
It's possible they're all selling fakes. It's also possible that, due to a combination of laziness and unfamiliarity with the product they're selling that at least some of them are simply using a photo they grabbed off the internet and are actually selling real P'kals. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

As for seconds, some might have visible minor blemishes, but screw placement and tang length would be identical to the "firsts". The only consistent visible difference would be the "seconds notch", a small notch cut into the right hand side of the blade's spine with a file.
Paul
Nocternum

Post by Nocternum »

Thank you Paul
FYI I meant no offence asking
For another opinion :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nocternum wrote:Thank you Paul
FYI I meant no offence asking
For another opinion :)
None taken. IMHO, taking one person's word for anything on the internet is foolish, even if that one person is me. :) Sometime, especially if that one person is me. :D

What's odd is that several reputable Spyderco dealers (Cutlery Shoppe, Knife Center) are using that same photo. Yet, the photos posted by dealers who use photos they took themselves (NGK, Knife Outlet) look exactly like the one in Spyderco's catalog and the one I owned briefly. I'm sure the photo is not an accurate representation of an actual Spyderco P'kal, but also sure at least some of the dealers using it are selling the real deal.
Paul
Nocternum

Post by Nocternum »

Exactly! I'd seen that photo on a bunch of times but couldn't find any info anywhere of a different version of the p'kal. Was kinda confused lol
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

As a former internet retailer I can say people tend to get lazy with image uploads :) . Old prototype pics, something they found on Google, etc.

Part of the reason in theory eBay should be more accurate. It's a lofty theory though. Better to find a place you trust and assume they had it shipped from Golden, CO.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, I did a bit more research. Seems the photo with the two line tang stamp and other oddities was the illustration Spyderco used in the 2007 catalog, when the P'kal was first introduced. Like many Spyderco catalog illustrations that are marked "Production Prototype Pictured", it bore only a passing resemblance to the actual production knife. Based on that, I'd say chances are that all the dealers using that picture are selling genuine Spyderco P'kals but that the knife you receive from any of them would look like the one in the current Spyderco online and paper catalogs, and not like the one in the photo.
Paul
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Genuine Spyderco P'kal factory second:

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Nocternum

Post by Nocternum »

Thanks a lot for all your input and time guys. I do appreciate it. It's been a very warm welcome to the forum!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Deacon wrote:Well, I did a bit more research. Seems the photo with the two line tang stamp and other oddities was the illustration Spyderco used in the 2007 catalog, when the P'kal was first introduced. Like many Spyderco catalog illustrations that are marked "Production Prototype Pictured", it bore only a passing resemblance to the actual production knife. Based on that, I'd say chances are that all the dealers using that picture are selling genuine Spyderco P'kals but that the knife you receive from any of them would look like the one in the current Spyderco online and paper catalogs, and not like the one in the photo.
Sort of like how almost every single dealer selling the Sage IV has a picture with wood burl even though the actual knife doesn't look anything like that wood pattern.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com