Delica ZDP vs Superblue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fuzzydog

Delica ZDP vs Superblue

Post by fuzzydog »

Killed a deer Friday...my buddy and I boned him out with my Delica and his pocket knife....in the end my Delica was still very sharp...he was impressed and I gave him mine in thanks for the help....of course I Now need to replace mine...loved the one I had for the blue handle which is easy to find in the field but am thinking I need (want) an upgrade. Never had either ZDP 189 or Superblue....I am thinking the Superblue as I can get a ZDP 189 in the future....can folks share their opinions?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You are quite correct on the timing/availability issue here with the two steels. ZDP-189 blades are a staple of the Spyderco lineup, while the Super Blue varieties are a current series of sprints only that will not be long-lived in the open market (forcing you to buy second-hand from flippers on the bay, etc.). I'd say by a SB version of your favorite among the Endura, Delica or Stretch for your hunting needs. There'll also be a Dragonfly, Manbug and Ladybug with the SB also (well, technically laminated SB/420J1), but not likely very useful for this particular need. Good luck!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I have the Superblue and recommend it for an EDC. As far as dressing a deer, I would probably stick with a VG10 model. Superblue has less corrosion resistance than VG10, making it more of a headache when around a lot of salty things (ie. blood). Still, Superblue takes a very sharp edge and is easy to touch up. I tend to stay away from steels that can be a headache to sharpen (like ZDP).
TBob

Post by TBob »

ZDP stays sharp much longer than VG10, which itself is a good steel. ZDP is not as corrosion resistant as VG10, though, and is not technically considered stainless. SB corrodes more easily than either ZDP or VG10. I recommend the ZDP if you can clean it well after dressing the deer, but if corrosion is a major concern, VG10 is your best bet of those steels mentioned. For field work, I usually use an S30V Millie.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

superblue is my 3rd favourite steel because it take an insane edge with little effort and touches up like nothing :D i would definitely recommend it. as for ZDP, its an amazing steel in its own right and love it on my Dfly2. If you have a WE or EP sharpening it isnt hard. Don't let all the talk about lack of corrosion resistance put you off the knife. My caly3 SB has probably seen the most use and i have never had a problem with corrosion. Just wipe the blade off after use and you'll be fine :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

Super Blue Steel is my absolute favorite kitchen knive steel. It takes a very, very fine edge and is incredibly sharp.
But is is a bit on the brittle side. If you cut on bones you need to be careful.

Nonetheless I wouldn't have another steel in my kitchen... It's so easy so sharpen.
I never jad a problem with rust. Just wipe the blade dry and mybe a drop of oil...
The blueish-black patina it takes has an appeal of it's own...

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

If you got your sharpening rig down pat, you can go for the ZDP. I carry the steel practically everyday and I have a laser beam edge at all times and stays that way no matter what tasks I have for the day. For years it has been known as the best steel Japan has to offer in terms of edge retention, and hardness attributes.

All great steels though really, your VG10 Delica served you well right? SB will also but, requires more attention. I can get both very sharp, the SB to a keener edge fast. SB is a popular kitchen cutlery steel in Japan and is considered to be top shelf stuff. It will hold an edge about the same probably longer than VG10. VG10 versions having those bright colors are a plus to take to the field.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Unless your the type to wipe down and take good care of your tools in the field I would certainly go VG10 or maybe the Salt version (Salt1).
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I have all 3 steels (VG-10, ZDP-189, and SB), and I much prefer SB over all others... so I'm biased and would recommend the SB Delica. With that said, however, I'm not sure I would recommend SB for field dressing a deer due to the corrosion issues. Still, for most other tasks, I think SB is superior to the others.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I love my ZDP-189 Spydies but I'd probably opt for the Super Blue variants just due to a limited window of availability. Regarding the difficulty of sharpening ZDP-189, I think it's some what overblown. As long as you don't need to re-profile the blade it doesn't take much time at all to keep a decent edge on the blade. I'm probably the worst person here at sharpening blades and I can keep my ZDP-189 relatively sharp with just a flat piece of ceramic.
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

Thanks all...think I will go Superblue....partly because of limited availablity...I am pretty good at taking care of gear....

I use a Sharpmaker and manage to keep my knives sharp but its mostly just maintaining what the factory supplied....am considering a Stretch...maybe will do that in ZDP-189
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

fuzzydog wrote:Thanks all...think I will go Superblue....partly because of limited availablity...I am pretty good at taking care of gear....

I use a Sharpmaker and manage to keep my knives sharp but its mostly just maintaining what the factory supplied....am considering a Stretch...maybe will do that in ZDP-189
It's a great knife :) . Just keep it clean with a coat of mineral oil.

Blood is very corrosion but you could keep a carbon blade from rusting in the rain forest with enough care. Many cultures do.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

The SuperBlue sprints are also laminate blades, which makes maintaining them a little easier... you don't have to worry as much about rust in the pivot area, etc. I have the SB Endura and it is now one of my favorite Spydies. I love the SB steel.
TBob

Post by TBob »

fuzzydog wrote:Thanks all...think I will go Superblue....partly because of limited availablity...I am pretty good at taking care of gear....

The ZDP Stretch is an excellent choice! My Stretch CF in ZDP-189 is my favorite folder, period.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

If Your VG-10 is still sharp after dressing a deer I see no reason to get a harder steel. ZDP will most likely chip if your cleaning the meat off the bone.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Makes for a great user. You'll be amazed at how sharp it gets and with little effort.

The Stretch ZDP is (here I go again) my most carried/used knife. It's evolved from the Spyderco hunter knife and will serve your purposes like field dressing well and doubles as a **** good edc option. You got two winners there.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

I would highly recommend the Stretch over the Delica. For only ~0.25" more in handle length you get almost 0.75" more in blade length. Also the ergonomics on the Stretch are much better than the Delica and I would think the blade shape would be better for hunting. As for steels, ZDP is actually considered stainless having 20% Chromium, well above the 12% threshold. But with that said some have experienced minor corrosion. However, if weight or visibility is a major consideration for you the Delica is about 1 oz less and comes in more/brighter colors than the Stretch, although with the light blue-gray SB models you could probably easily dye the FRN handle. Good luck!
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

tahomazz

Post by tahomazz »

I havent been on forums for a while now, other hobbies needed attention so sorry to bring revive this thread.

Anyways i didnt want to post yet another thread regarding ZDP. I know vg-10 is probably better for my uses and sharpening skills but there is something about the racing green and challenge(and rewards) of ZDP that draws me to it. With that said, my only sharpening tools are the sharpmaker and the double stuff stone. I figure that ZDP is possible to maintain and sharpen on the sharpmaker, but would it also be possible on the double stuff or would this be to difficult. Im assuming the answer will just be it takes more time but is there anything else? Not going to lie i am rather intimidated by it. Although i dont mind putting in more time for a tool that will give back more time in terms of edge holding and cutting performance.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't think you would need to be super concerned with the Superblue, but if it was mine I would be sure the patina was well developed before taking it to the field.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

tahomazz wrote:I havent been on forums for a while now, other hobbies needed attention so sorry to bring revive this thread.

Anyways i didnt want to post yet another thread regarding ZDP. I know vg-10 is probably better for my uses and sharpening skills but there is something about the racing green and challenge(and rewards) of ZDP that draws me to it. With that said, my only sharpening tools are the sharpmaker and the double stuff stone. I figure that ZDP is possible to maintain and sharpen on the sharpmaker, but would it also be possible on the double stuff or would this be to difficult. Im assuming the answer will just be it takes more time but is there anything else? Not going to lie i am rather intimidated by it. Although i dont mind putting in more time for a tool that will give back more time in terms of edge holding and cutting performance.
You should be fine, especially with the FFG version as its thinner behind the edge and you won't have to take off as much steel (I had an older saber grind delica that took quite awhile to reprofile because it there was so much steel to remove to get a 30 degree edge). I haven't reprofiled on the Sharpmaker but I do use it to touch up and resharpen from no longer able to cut printer paper with steels like S90V and K390 with no problems so I don't see ZDP-189 being a problem either unless you're planning a major reprofiling in which case I'd start on something coarser like 150-200 grit sandpaper and finishing with the sharpmaker or go for the diamond rods.