MBC/Self-Defense section?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mister X

MBC/Self-Defense section?

Post by Mister X »

I would love to see a forum section dedicated to self-defense for folks like me whose primary interest in knives revolves around defensive use of the blade. I'm a huge fan of Michael Janich/MBC and it would be awesome to have a section that focused in on his expertise and self-defense in general.

Just a thought :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm a big fan of Mike and what he does with Spyderco, however, sometimes martial arts forums get a bit...heated. And by "sometimes", I mean "all the time". haha! :D
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would be all over it, but ultimately up to Sal and Mike. Love to hear their thoughts
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

There already is a SD forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/

JK, I keed I keed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Even though they market knives for such use, I don't think Spyderco would go that far in promoting it. Just a guess. If they'll stop engraving "Military" on blades because of customer fears of liability issues..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

im with David, i cant see going all Emerson on the forums :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Yeah I saw an article in Blade Magazine a while back that said the very last thing you want to do is say you're carrying for self defense because they get a bad enough rap as it is.
sal

Post by sal »

We'd have to discuss it and Mike would have to moderate. He's got a pretty full schedule these days so we'd need his feedback. I think that Mike could keep it civil.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Thanks Sal! This is promising. The thing to remember is that Mike is more than just blade SD. Whole lot more. And as a matter of fact, the blade stuff is out there and not that much left to discuss. E4 D4 and Yo2. Getting real SD feedback from Mike would be huge, like solo training, training kids, combat fitness. As long as it was handled with shiny footprints so as not to besmirch Spyderco, it could be a great resource to bounce things off of Mr. Janich.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:We'd have to discuss it and Mike would have to moderate. He's got a pretty full schedule these days so we'd need his feedback. I think that Mike could keep it civil.

sal

And if you don't stay civil Mike will make a personal visit to your residence and "discuss" the situation and help you understand your mistake LOL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wheelin

Post by wheelin »

To be honest, I bought my first Delica+trainer just for the purpose of SD. Where I live, I had CCW permit for my SigSauer P225, which got too heavy, and a PITA to renew permit. I also bought the DragonFly, all these direct from Spyderco, and received a complimentary green Jester. That was long time ago. I even bought tactical training tape, which was very good. Could have been Michael Janich's tape.
A dedicated MBC/Self-Defense section would be most welcome.
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

sal wrote:We'd have to discuss it and Mike would have to moderate. He's got a pretty full schedule these days so we'd need his feedback. I think that Mike could keep it civil.

sal
Those were the days, Sal, - Mike Janich, Bram Frank, etc.
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thanks, everyone, for your interest in having an MBC/self-defense forum on Spyderco forums.

Those of you who have been Spyderco fans for a while may remember that from late 1999 to mid 2004, I taught MBC under Spyderco's sponsorship. Although I was not an employee at the time, I had the privilege of their support and sponsorship. One of the ways I repaid their kindness was to serve as a forum moderator. Under the forum structure at that time, there was a dedicated and very active MBC forum. When the forums were revamped a few years back, that forum was eliminated and the current topic structure was established.

When I joined Spyderco as an employee in 2009, we discussed my role in the company--as well as my other activities in the industry, such as teaching MBC, writing, co-hosting "The Best Defense" TV series, etc. Spyderco continues to be extremely generous in allowing me the latitude to continue my other activities. In return, I do my best to have all my efforts reflect positively on Spyderco and highlight the quality of our products whenever possible.

Self-defense topics come up pretty regularly on the "Off-Topic" forum and I do my best to contribute as appropriate there. I also moderate "The Best Defense" and "Defense and Tactics" forums on Downrange TV and encourage those interested to join those forums.

As for a Spyderco self-defense forum, that decision rests with Sal, Eric, and Spyderco's management. If they determine that it's a good idea that is consistent with the direction of the company's mission, I'll do my very best to support it.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Looks like Sal has Mike's blessing! This will be cool if it happens