Sage 1 = Perfection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
testosterone325

Sage 1 = Perfection

Post by testosterone325 »

I just got my Sage 1 the other day and I'm blown away by how perfect this knife is. Out of all my spydercos (including my pm2's and manix 2's), this knife has the best fit and finish bar none. The lockup is rock solid and no blade play at all. I used to be one of those guys who would never buy a knife that wasn't made in the US but this Taichung model is very impressive and I'm condifent in saying it is overall built better than my Golden made spydies. Both my pm2s had blade play right out of the box. Deployment is unreal on the Sage and it sounds fantastic. You can hear the ball bearing detent slide along the tang and it makes an awesome swishing sound before locking up with a solid clunk. The blade is scary sharp and it's the perfect size. The ergos are just. perfect Overall I just love the knife. So much that I bought the Sage 2 as well and that's on the way. I had the opportunity to get the Sage 3 but it's not the same at all. The ergos are way different and so is the blade. The handle is chunkier and the blade shape is different. It almost has a slight recurve toward the back and it sits differently when you hold the knife. It's an amazingly well put together knife as well but I'm not a fan of the ergos as much. Anyways if anyone out there is looking for the perfect EDC knife, consider the Sage 1. If you have considered it and are still on the fence, just get it. You won't be disappointed. My favorite Spyderco yet.
Favourite Spyderco Knives: Sage 1 and 2!!! Paramilitary 2, Manix 2
Spyderco Wishlist: Gayle Bradley, CF Caly 3.5, M390 Military or Paramilitary 2
paladin

Post by paladin »

agreed...try out the Chaparral if you like midlocks...it is more the svelte brother to the Sage 1...BTW the Sage 2 will impress you also....welcome!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Another one sees the light!
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the Sage 1 better than any of the Sage line because the liner lock is my favorite lock. I like the way you don't have to reposition the knife in your hand to close it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've carried my Sage2 for the past week. They certainly are terrific knives. Just about perfect in fact :) .
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! all the taichung models are incredible! i highly highly highly recommend you try a chaparral and/or GB in the future
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I love my Sage I as well! Today mine cut up chicken, mushrooms, cucumber, and bell peppers to make a stir-fry. It cut through everything like a laser and looked good while doing it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

testosterone325 wrote:if anyone out there is looking for the perfect EDC knife
I like the Sage 1 and I think it is the best looking of the Spyderco's, but for me it is far too small to be considered the perfect EDC.

(Today I'm carrying a Para 2 which is one of the smallest of my EDC knives.)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

By far the best edc Spyderco makes is the Caly 3.5. I even prefer it over the Sage. You don't hardly even know it's in your pocket
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I love the sound of the liner lock when it clicks into place on the Sage 1. When you rotate it open with your thumb, it just gives this super awesome clack when it locks up which is unique to any knife I have played with. If you flick it open, the sound changes to a higher pitched click, but still sounds great. It's weird to think about how cool a knife sounds, but it's those little things that really creates the difference between a good and great knife. Personally, I lucked out with my Paramilitary 2 it seems because it has absolutely vault tight lockup and zero blade play. So the Sage and PM2 are equal in that regard for me and both display outstanding levels of F&F. I think the ergos of the PM2 are perfect for being back on the handle whereas the Sage is perfect for being choked up on the 50/50 choil. Both are great in either grip though. Sage 2 is definitely high on the wish list down the road, but I don't really desire the 3 too much and the 4 I think I would have to handle to see if I really liked it.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

The Sage line is one of my favorites. The Sage 2 is my personal favorite. For whatever reason, the Sage 1 is a knife that I have bought and sold twice. It just doesn't fit me right but the two versions I've had have been perfect.
testosterone325

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
The Gayle Bradley and Caly 3.5 are on my list of knives to purchase. I have heard nothing but excellent things about both. I knew I wasnt the only Sage fan haha! I have read lots of great things on the forums but I know a lot of people are against overseas produced knives. I was before too before getting the Sage, and I have since changed my outlook significantly. I suppose it depends on the company because I have seen some garbage knives made from overseas (ie. China - however I have heard amazing things about the Chinese made spydies especially the Tenacious). I had an opportunity to get the Chaparral but it was a tad too small for me, and I have never been a fan of back locks. The Sage for me is like a slightly bigger version of the Chap with a more desirable locking mechanism (for me). I am just so happy with it. I cant wait for my Sage 2 to arrive!
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

testosterone325 wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome.
I had an opportunity to get the Chaparral but it was a tad too small for me, and I have never been a fan of back locks. The Sage for me is like a slightly bigger version of the Chap with a more desirable locking mechanism (for me). I am just so happy with it. I cant wait for my Sage 2 to arrive!
I am looking forward to getting to try out the Sage series one of these days. I like my EDC's 3" or less so it's at the top of that range. I have a Chaparral and love the lightweight and blade length as well as that carbon fiber. Not sure which Sage to get, the 1 or the 2. You'll have to let us know you thoughts once your Sage 2 comes in.

Welcome to the forum.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Great knife. Both my sons carry it and the Sage 1 and Stretch have been my favorites to gift to friends and family. As I was selling off much of my collection earlier this year I was pleased find that I had one left - thought I'd given them all away. It's now in my smallish permanent collection. I heard it's praises sung for a year before I picked one up and was thrilled to see that it wasn't over hyped.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
testosterone325

Hey guys so I checked the mail and my Sage 2 came in! Ive been playing with it for the last 20 mins and WOW its a solid knife. Its built like a brick. The lockup is ridiculously tight. I dont own a Sebenza but I have played with my buddy's small one and its the closest knife I can compare to the Sage 2. The deployment does not sound nearly as good as the Sage 1 but thats really not important. Just a nice bonus feature of the Sage 1. Fit and finish again is PERFECT. Wow I just cant tell you how impressed I am with these 2 knives. Its ridiculous how perfect they are. I am so glad I purchased them.
testosterone325

VeloWeave wrote:Not sure which Sage to get, the 1 or the 2. You'll have to let us know you thoughts once your Sage 2 comes in and give us your thoughts.

Welcome to the forum.
Such a tough call... I like them both very much. If possible, get both. They are equally amazing, just different. I like the look and deployment of the Sage 1 a wee bit more but Ive only had the Sage 2 for about half an hour so I havent really given it a chance. Its wicked though...
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Only thing that would personally stop me from getting a Sage 2 someday is that I kind of have my eye on the Domino. Pretty similar ergos to the Sage with a flipper and XHP steel. Tough call, tough call... I'll have to scratch the flipper itch one of these days.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Syncharmony wrote:Only thing that would personally stop me from getting a Sage 2 someday is that I kind of have my eye on the Domino. Pretty similar ergos to the Sage with a flipper and XHP steel. Tough call, tough call... I'll have to scratch the flipper itch one of these days.
Yeah I've had similar thoughts about Sage 2 and Domino, even though Domino closer resembles a Manix to me. If I get Domino that would scratch the flipper itch which means I could sell my Southard and free up funds for more knives :D Can someone say Techno? Southard would be hard to sell though, it's just so awesome!

testosterone325 wrote:I dont own a Sebenza but I have played with my buddy's small one and its the closest knife I can compare to the Sage 2.
I've heard similar things said between Sage 2 and small Sebenza. Never handled a Sage 2 but I own a small Sebenza and it is exactly as you say about Sage 2, PERFECT, in almost every way. Words like tank-like, lightweight carry, almost disappears in pocket, strong clip (the best clip of any knife I've handled). The only thing I wish it did better would be to deploy as quickly as a Sage 2. It is so buttery smooth though, how is Sage 2 for smoothness? If anyone follows Oromoto on YouTube he actually sold his Sebenza and kept Sage 2, that is how highly he thinks of Sage 2.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

I picked up a sage 2 at a good price off bladeforums recently. Definitely one of my favorite knives between the PM2 and caly 3.5.

I don't know if it's just something with sage models, but the opening of the knife is unreal. It's so smooth. Blade size is perfect, the leaf shape does the knife a lot of good.
testosterone325

VeloWeave wrote: how is Sage 2 for smoothness?
Its amazingly smooth HOWEVER its not quite as smooth as the Sage 1. My Sage 2 lock bar is ridiculously tight and it puts so much pressure against the tang that it actually somewhat slows down the blade while deploying. I need both hands to disengage the lock bar because its so darn stiff. Over extending the lock bar is nearly impossible without using a pry bar. The plus side of this is that the lockup is insanely solid. Its incredible and you would be pretty convinced its as strong as a fixed blade.