Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

TomAiello wrote:Just that would make me buy one when they are released. I definitely don't love the liner lock, but 1 out of 2--I'll take it.
I think they were talking of using something called a stop-lock for the military 2
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I love the Millie just the way it is. Tip up for large knives does not work for me, so the tip down only isn't an issue. The lock also hasn't been an issue; both of mine are solid as can be and equally smooth.
-Ryan
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

yablanowitz wrote:I've tried very hard to like the compression lock. I can't claim much success.
Same here. Still carry my Grey PM2 though. If it had the liner lock from the Military it would be perfect :D
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I have not been able to keep a Military. I have had a few over the years, tried to love it, but in the end I prefer the para 2. Nothing against the Military, just don't need anything that big at this point in my life. I don't tend to collect, so the Para 2 is all I need or want. Go with what works for you. The right blade tends to end up in your pocket eventually. It is fun to try a bunch out though.
SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

SpyderNut wrote:I love the Millie just the way it is. I say keep her the same. :) The only Spydie I ever traded was my beloved Millie CE in CPM-440V. Sigh. I've always missed that knife...
It's one of my favorites as well. So beautiful that it has prompted a half dozen or so purchases of the various flavors. The quality I've rceived on every single one has been exceptional. And you know you have a thing when you purchase a preemptive backup, "just in case." The standard G-10/S30 plain. Without even the smallest flaw or misalignment. I would not change a thing on it.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have respect to the knife, but little too big for my taste and current needs. But you never know the future, so I have couple of them.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bh49 wrote:I have respect to the knife, but little too big for my taste and current needs. But you never know the future, so I have couple of them.
Spoken like a true spydernut. :)
Senate

Post by Senate »

i like Milies!

mandatory repost
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

just took the M4 out of storage this week-end and started using it :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, I didn't like it until I bought one, and even then it took some extensive use to really appreciate it. I'm not a big liner lock fan either and would definitely prefer the compression lock, but I don't see that ever happening to the Military. My biggest gripe was the excessively long handle, but even then it does have a purpose if you wear thick gloves and have big hands and need a full grip. Not all knives will be for everyone, gotta watch out for the hype monster sometimes. I started out being a big Delica fan, but quickly lost interest after owning different models, and now I really don't care to own one (and currently don't) but most people will tell you it's the best knife you can buy for under $80. As for the clip location, a knife this size I actually prefer being tip down because if you carry it tip up, you have to shimmy your hand along that huge handle to find the thumb hole, so for me it's just easier to open if they're tip down and my hand is already by the pivot and hole.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Senate wrote:i like Milies!

mandatory repost
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

just took the M4 out of storage this week-end and started using it :D
Nice shot senate. Hey, just curious, do you have a worksharp?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I actually prefer the millie pocket clip and wish it had stayed on the para 2. I use mine for yard work primarily as I can't justify it for other situations and it leaves a good amount of the knife siting out of my pocket (access with gloves on). Tip down on my larger knives is prefered.

The liner lock is not my favorite but it is perfectly functional for my needs.

I would leave the millie alone. 2 cents worth.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:My biggest gripe was the excessively long handle, but even then it does have a purpose if you wear thick gloves and have big hands and need a full grip.
I really like the big handle, actually. I'm outdoors all year and it gets below zero here in the winter. Which means something I can easily anf comfortably use with gloves on is a big plus.

For me the big handle and big blade are definitely pluses. It's the lock style and fixed clip I'd love to see change on the next version.
Senate

Post by Senate »

Surfingringo wrote:Nice shot senate. Hey, just curious, do you have a worksharp?
the sharpening system? nope.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I'm not crazy about the look of the Millie. When it comes to doing actual work (whittling stakes or cooking sticks for camping, cutting twine/rope, stripping wire, cutting cardboard, and so on) mine is normally my "go to" knife, besides my original Manix. I like the roominess of the handle. I also like the fact that I feel like I can do some major "digging in" for hard cutting or wood shaving, but I can also work with finer tasks due to being able to "choke up" toward the choil.

My Manix is the best for opening tough packaging (clamshell plastic) but it's a heavy knife to carry. The Milie is nice because it's a big, tough knife that is lighter in my pocket.

The liner lock is not an issue for me. I like that I can close it with one hand easily. I don't fear that I am going to compromise the lock with any of the tasks I do.

For me, the Millie is about function. If you do not use a folder for hard working tasks as much, it may be of limited appeal for you.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TomAiello wrote:Does anyone besides me not love this knife?

I've had mine in a drawer for several months, and decided to give it a fresh shot this week. I'm planning on carrying it every day this week to make sure I give it a fair trial.

So far, though, I'm remembering why it got stuck in the drawer in the first place. I don't love the liner lock, and I really don't love the fixed location clip. I think if the next version was an upsized PM2, I'd definitely like it more.

Replace the liner lock with a compression lock (or better yet, a CBBL--I know that's not likely but I can always dream, right?). Give it a 4 way ambidextrous clip. Suddenly the Millie would move from my bottom drawer to my top choice.
I can't think of a single thing that's universally loved. As for the Military, I did buy a couple of the left handed ones, but it's not a knife I find particularly appealing. For one thing, I've been carrying a knife loose in the left back pocket of my pants for over sixty years and the Military is just too big to carry that way. For another, I personally feel 3mm thick blades border on overkill, so anything thicker is over that line. Finally, I prefer to stick with midlock models. They have the benefit of being totally ambidextrous and sticking to one lock gives me one less thing to think about when using a pocket knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Senate wrote:the sharpening system? nope.
Ah, just curious. I thought I saw a weird spot in the grind on that top Millie. I did something like that to my gayle Bradley the first and last time I used a worksharp. It may just be the photo.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I love my millies, but recognize that different things appeal to different people. Some folks can't legally carry a blade over 3".

I'm just glad that Spyderco makes such a wide variety of superb knives that offer different things to different people (at least I *think* I'm glad, my wallet isn't so happy :) ).

There are actually a few Spyderco models I've passed over because they just weren't for me - though often I find that they wind up appealing to me later. I just hope my preorder for a cruwear millie comes through, I've been too late on the draw for it at many dealers, but have had it on preorder for 5 months.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

i sold my military a while back. its an amazing knife, simply excessively big for my needs
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Surfingringo wrote:Ah, just curious. I thought I saw a weird spot in the grind on that top Millie. I did something like that to my gayle Bradley the first and last time I used a worksharp. It may just be the photo.
I get the same if I'm careless with the sharpmaker...
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

I'll let you know when my Cru-Wear arrives. :D