PM2 or Southard Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ol' KL

PM2 or Southard Flipper

Post by Ol' KL »

I'm thinking of buying a knife for myself for Christmas.I want a medium sized folder. I would primarily use it on weekends for general knife chores and hunting. Skinning and elk would be what I would consider "hard use." That, or cutting hay twine.

The PM2 and the Flipper are the two I'm thinking about. I have never seen either of these knives. No one carries them in the area I roam. I've only seen videos on 'Tube. I realize there is fair bit of difference between the two. I would probably be happy with a PM2 in S30V, but the Flipper offers a few things that I also like. With the scarcity of the PM2, it seems there is about $100 separating the two The S90V PM2 is still available, but it's more expensive and the Flipper and it's at my breaking point.

Is there anything similar expected to hit the street in this time frame?

I like flipper style knifes. It seems like the Southard Flipper's steel should be better than most available PM2s.

What about overall strength and long-term durability. If I fork out 240 bucks for a knife, I would expect it to last longer than me.

I have an EdgePro. It seems like a FFG would be easier to sharpen with this than the hollow ground Flipper?

I'd like to hear thoughts, experience or suggestions.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Have you checked out the Domino?
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

The PM2 would be easier to clean after gutting and skinning. It has a better clip for carry too.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

PMBohol wrote:The PM2 would be easier to clean after gutting and skinning. It has a better clip for carry too.
Why? They are both open construction and easily cleaned.

The PM2 is a better slicer. I have both in 204P and if I could only have one, it would be the Southard due to the longer edge and blade geometry. It is definitely the better knife for cutting twine and, while most of my skinning experience has been watching my cousin do it, I'd prefer it for skinning a large animal as well. I also prefer it for cutting up apples and general kitchen duty. Also the flipper is fun.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

You can go wrong either way, but I've owned multiples of both and the Southards are gone and I still have a Para 2. I prefer the ergonomics and lighter weight of the PM2, not to mention that the Paramilitary 2 costs roughly half as much as the Southard. The Southard does come with CTS-204P, which is a helluva steel. The Domino would be a good in between consideration.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

"Why? They are both open construction and easily cleaned."

I had thought the PM2 had no cutouts in the liner but upon looking I was wrong.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Para will in most cases outcut the Southard and the handle is better for hard use (for me)
The Southard is cooler and carries smaller. I have both and enjoy both. For hiking and outdoor use I prefer the full sized Military :D
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I have both, and like others have said, , you kind of can't go wrong either way but it's still an apples vs oranges kind of issue since they are so different. Personally, I like the Southard better, and believe it to be the finest knife Spyderco has ever produced. 204 steel is freaken awesome in a blade of this size and, for me, the ergos work great. I'm not a huge fan of the clip, but it works well enough so as to not detract from the knife overall. The Para2, , well it's just a go to workhorse and it probably gets more pocket-time with me than any of my Spydercos (I have 4 different Paras and only one Southard). I will also say that the Southard is a little more difficult to sharpen on the EdgePro, but the 204 takes such a sweet edge it is very well worth the trouble. I would agree with others that if this dilemma is causing you too much stress, ,then the Domino might be a good option.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I know that you asked about deciding between two knives, but I suggest you consider a third.
The Stretch is a fine EDC and with its extra belly, might serve well as a skinner. FRN would be quite easy to clean (blood).

Cheers,
Chris
Holland

Post by Holland »

coud get the stretch and para2 for the price of the southard
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE