Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
FCM415
Member
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Postby FCM415 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 am

Guys, check out this thread on BF. Sal's post... Some input would be appreciated. Hopefully positive as I'd love to see this variation of the Stretch! Been talked about for some time, bossman is considering it!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st12760356
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy

User avatar
Blerv
Member
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am

Postby Blerv » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 am

Interesting discussion :)

I personally adore the standard non-choil grip of the Stretch. If that wasn't impacted by the choil it would be great (personally) as would the flattened spine, especially if it resulted in a more acute tip.
:spyder: Blake :spyder:

User avatar
Steffen
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Steffen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:05 pm

let me first say that i have never handled a stretch.
that said, i say yes to the choil and no, no, please no, to a straight spine.

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Postby xceptnl » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Blerv wrote:Interesting discussion :)

I personally adore the standard non-choil grip of the Stretch. If that wasn't impacted by the choil it would be great (personally) as would the flattened spine, especially if it resulted in a more acute tip.
Blerv,

Wouldn't this be an Endura with onle a slightly smaller blade? Couldn't a mild grind to the spine of any current endura make what some are describing? Am I missing something possibly?
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
FCM415
Member
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

Postby FCM415 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

The Stretch has a much thinner grind unique to it. I'm quite certain that Sal didn't mean that it will be exactly like the Endura, just an example of a more standard Spyderco bladeshape we're used to. Just imagine it as it looks with the hump removed. Also the choil, Spydiehole placement, handle make it unique from the Endura, its close cousin.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 24986
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Postby The Deacon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:36 pm

I'd be in favor of Spyderco producing versions of the Stretch with different blade shapes. I think doing so would increase the potential market, since not everyone likes the current one. Straight spine or "modified leaf" would be ok, the "modified clip point" style used on the PE blade of the Dyads would be outstanding, although probably less popular. I can live with the existing choil, but would have no problem with a deeper one. I'd hope that, if that change were made, the original Stretch blade shape would continue to be offered in addition to any new versions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
FCM415
Member
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

Postby FCM415 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:40 pm

The nice sweeping belly unique to the Stretch should remain, it's the literally the hump shaved off that is all probably. Of course I like my knife as is, but I'm curious to see what Sal has in mind.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy

User avatar
FCM415
Member
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

Postby FCM415 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm

The Deacon wrote:I'd be in favor of Spyderco producing versions of the Stretch with different blade shapes. I think doing so would increase the potential market, since not everyone likes the current one. Straight spine or "modified leaf" would be ok, the "modified clip point" style used on the PE blade of the Dyads would be outstanding, although probably less popular. I can live with the existing choil, but would have no problem with a deeper one. I'd hope that, if that change were made, the original Stretch blade shape would continue to be offered in addition to any new versions.
Exactly. The handle alone is so nice that it could be a platform for variations.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy

Divo
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Port of Europe

Postby Divo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:58 pm

I like the idea of a deeper choil, but a straight spine like Endura would make the knife lose identity and it would become "too much of the same".

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20660
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Postby Evil D » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm

xceptnl wrote:Blerv,

Wouldn't this be an Endura with onle a slightly smaller blade? Couldn't a mild grind to the spine of any current endura make what some are describing? Am I missing something possibly?
I think you'd have to be half blind and squint real hard to see any similarities between a straight spine Stretch and an Endura. The magic is in the Stretch's handle. The ergonomics are vastly superior IMO. Your mileage may very.

I think like Blerv said, as long as the grip behind the choil doesn't change, AND there's no loss in edge length, yeah make the choil deeper, absolutely. This is probably the one thing I would change if I could only change one thing. I don't love the curvy spine but I don't hate it either, it does add variety. I don't think the point would be any more acute by giving it a straight spine though. I used to really dislike the curved spine, but after owning one for a while now, it's sort of grown on me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd want any other knife to have a spine like it, but it is sort of part of the Stretch identity.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Blerv
Member
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am

Postby Blerv » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Evil D wrote:I think you'd have to be half blind and squint real hard to see any similarities between a straight spine Stretch and an Endura. The magic is in the Stretch's handle. The ergonomics are vastly superior IMO. Your mileage may very.

I think like Blerv said, as long as the grip behind the choil doesn't change, AND there's no loss in edge length, yeah make the choil deeper, absolutely. This is probably the one thing I would change if I could only change one thing. I don't love the curvy spine but I don't hate it either, it does add variety. I don't think the point would be any more acute by giving it a straight spine though. I used to really dislike the curved spine, but after owning one for a while now, it's sort of grown on me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd want any other knife to have a spine like it, but it is sort of part of the Stretch identity.
Yea this is what I was hinting at. Nicely put David :) .

I like the pronounced guard, sculpting and pinky-ramp of the Stretch. To me, the Endura has always felt formless in comparison. Choils are great but I prefer they don't cut into much blade (if any); like the Chinook3 vs the Superleaf.
:spyder: Blake :spyder:

User avatar
araneae
Member
Posts: 4708
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: A lil more south of the Erie shore, Ohio

Postby araneae » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:34 pm

I would love a deeper choil. Other than that the current Stretch is pretty near perfect. If you can throw a straight spine version in the same handle, why not see if they both sell? I do think the blade shape is part of the Stretch, change that and you better change the name.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got: Wharncliffe & Waved D'flies

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12353
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Postby sal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanx for the input and thanx for starting the thread. The handle would not change except for a deeper finger choil. Both blades is an interesting thought.

sal

yablanowitz
Member
Posts: 5130
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Liberal, Kansas

Postby yablanowitz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Image

Image

Image

As for deepening the finger choil, there is a reason I have 5 Calypso Jr.s and only one Caly3...which I bought on clearance...just for taking comparison photos.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

User avatar
RadioactiveSpyder
Member
Posts: 3773
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: Lost in space

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:14 pm

I am for this CQI change in the Stretch, it's one of my favorites. Wouldn't the changes being described essentially give you a Stretch handle (with the rear swoop) and a PM2 blade? I am holding the two knives side by side, and the PM2 has the deeper choil, the blade lengths are near identical with the PM2 having a straight spine, and the major difference on the handle is that rear end, swoop versus squared off with a much bigger lanyard hole on the PM2. Otherwise the ergos of the handles are quite remarkably similar. (Needless to say the locks are different also...). To me, much of the planned design changes could be accomplished by working the handle of the PM2 to make it Stretch-like versus modifying the blade and choil of the Stretch. Just my two cents...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

User avatar
Blerv
Member
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am

Postby Blerv » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 pm

If it's just a matter of curving and extending the current 50/50 choil I don't think it would impact people who prefer to avoid it completely. Of course, in a perfect world I'd love a sharpening notch and nearly 3.5" of cutting edge. :)
:spyder: Blake :spyder:

User avatar
FCM415
Member
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

Postby FCM415 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Blerv wrote:If it's just a matter of curving and extending the current 50/50 choil I don't think it would impact people who prefer to avoid it completely. Of course, in a perfect world I'd love a sharpening notch and nearly 3.5" of cutting edge. :)
I filed a small notch on my user Stretch, works great I can evenly sharpen it. Giving it more edge would make it an even better steak knife hehe.

Comparisons of the PM2 and Stretch have been around. Bladewise, the Stretch is much thinner, narrower without the hump (look at Yablanowitz' custom grind above), and a belly I prefer over the PM2.

As far as the choil change being permanent, I think is a good thing. A trial run with a different bladeshape shouldn't be a problem as the original hump can be put back in. Just a different version as discussed for years now. I hope as I dont get off as a hump hater haha! I have a stockpile of Stretches, Im all for well thought out variations.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy

User avatar
araneae
Member
Posts: 4708
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: A lil more south of the Erie shore, Ohio

Postby araneae » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Image

Is this what you had in mind for a straighter spine Sal, or more like the Delica (less hump)?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got: Wharncliffe & Waved D'flies

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Divo
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Port of Europe

Postby Divo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:27 am

Don't understand your guesses.

If you click the link in the first post then you can read:
"A straighter spine like an Endura"

DeathBySnooSnoo
Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm
Location: Toronto Canada

Postby DeathBySnooSnoo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 am

All I can say is that I am going to buy some stretches now...before they get all ruined by more choil.
On the hunt for...


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AwayFromMySpydieHole, Bing [Bot], DirtMcGirt, FullFlatMind, Google [Bot], jpm2, Notsurewhy, popplelopolis, prndltech, Roger123, RustyIron, wolfstyle and 43 guests