What kind of pocket knives do/did your parents like to carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
APS

Post by APS »

My Dad has been carrying a Gerber EAB that I gave him a few years ago. When I think of all the stuff he does (he's a lot handier than I am) it always makes me rethink all the crap I carry around in my pockets and the twisted-logic-justifications I come up with for buying another relatively expensive knife. I've given him a Native but I've never seen him use it.
Adam
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

My mom carries a Leatherman Squirt S4 in her purse and before that was a Victorinox Classic. My dad carried a Vic Spartan for years then I gave him a Deluxe Tinker and he carried it for a couple years until I talked my mom into getting him a Custom Syph007 Pioneer for their wedding anniversary.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

BigBill5953 wrote:I talked my mom into getting him a Custom Syph007 Pioneer for their wedding anniversary.
My ears perked upon reading this and I just did a Google Search. Thanks for clueing me in. I love SAKs and must have a least dozen; some can use a few mods :)
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

My dad has been a SAK man as long as I can remember. He favors the 58mm sized models, but he also has a Spartan with the words "The Evil Penknife" engraved on the handle. Don't worry, it's not an anti-knife sentiment, it's a tribute to a book we both love dearly. He also still has the same Buck 110 he bought when he graduated from high school (in 1976) tucked away for camping trips. My mom has borrowed SAKs from me on occasion when she needed something, but doesn't carry anything regularly. My grandfather (dad's dad) has owned and carried a myriad of knives and multitools over the years. My other grandfather, carried an old metal handled Schrade Stockman every day for years. My family gave me that Stockman when he passed away and I've got it tucked away for safe keeping.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

My dad always carried a small Buck single bladed folding knife 2" closed length. I gave him a number of Spyderco knives which he would rotate or put in the car bag or truck bag. His typewriter repair tool box had a repaired Wayne Goddard with a 2" blade. My mom carries a Cricket PE Lightweight and a small Victorinox Classic in her bag.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Waco

Post by Waco »

Mostly ordinary little pocket knives like the non-commemorative ones in the Case XX catalog. I remember Dad having a big folding Old Timer. Well, it seemed big at the time. It was probably the size of my Endura or smaller.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

My mother still refuses to acknowledge a knife's use beyond the kitchen, I fear she is a lost cause but my father always has a SAK or multitool handy, I remember borrowing his sak often as a child to use the can opener, but never took much interest in the blades. I really got into knives when I started working, they were neither promoted or discouraged in our house.
I see, said the blind man.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

My dad was partial to the Case Barehead Slimline Trapper model (what a mouthful). He used up several of those during my childhood. My grandpa loved his Case Peanut. In the late 80's I bought both grandpas a Vic Classic, and they both seemed to like them a lot.

Dad and I read Combat Handgun, and we were both really interested in the Police and Endura model that was being advertised and talked about a lot. It must have been around 1991 by the time we actually found both a Police and Endura at a gunshow. I remember how excited I was! We each got an Endura, his plain edge/black FRN and mine serrated/black FRN and we got a plain edge Police model to share :D so for a long time he carried an Endura.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

My father carries a Sage 2 or Tenacious (for dirty work) and my mother a Pink Native. Both got them as gifts.

They used to carry SAKs
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

my dad always carried a Case or a Buck.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
malice

Post by malice »

My father always carried an Opinel 9 on him, and two SAK's, one in the car and one in his bag.
Grandfather used to carry a couple of no name slipjoints. One of those he carried with him, escaping trying to stay in front of the nazi advance. From his stories I gather it helped him quite a bit along the way...
I guess that's why he always had a slipjoint on him. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable without it.
I'm like that as well, I guess.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My father had a four blade Camillus slip joint. Large, small, knife blades. Bottle opener/screwdriver. And one blade that broke off, probably a can opener.

The kydex needed the hole enlarged for a Spec Ops sheath.

The Swiss Army Knife is mine, bought it a long time ago and my mother always hated it for some reason. I think she had issues with a $12 pocket knife. She was surprised when I mentioned I still had it.

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

For years my mom had an old Joseph Rogers that she got when she started working in a nursery in the 1950s. When she died I found it amongst her stuff and cleaned and sharpened it. It lives with my slippies now. My dad's Joseph Rogers - matched my mom's (but I think it was like a model T, you have any colour as long as it is black) I gave to his brother. The ladybug I had given him about 18 months before he died was on his keyring. It now rotates on my keyring with my collection of Ladybugs and Jesters. In an old cigarette tin were a Basic Tools and a few IXLs and some no name junk - I doubt he actually ever used them.