Does anyone carry a rookie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

Does anyone carry a rookie?

Post by Buendia518 »

I just picked up a green sprint run in not so good condition but it's cleaning up well. It's smaller and thinner than I expected which is a pleasant surprise. Once it's sharp I intend to get some good use out of it.

Does anyone here carry a rookie?

Duke
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wish I had one. Enjoy your knife. I really mostly use knives in that size range, so I wish I didn't miss out on that sprint.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

never held one before, but congrats on your purchase!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a FG Sprint and one of the old school black ones with ATS-55.

They really don't see much carry time. I don't have them set out for my EDC.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I like the Rookie, but the handle is just a bit short for my mitts.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I do! I replaced the standard clip with the narrow deep pocket carry clip from USAKnifemakers and that made all the difference to me. Next I had the blade modified to a full flat grind, it now looks like a mini-Military blade. In retrospect I don't think it really needed a FFG, but I was curious. I don't regret having it done as it's now a wicked slicer...a small light knife suitable for office use, with a blade just long enough to slice fruit and sandwiches. I carried the D-fly (G-10) for a while but found the blade to short for that, and I hated having so much of the handle showing when clipped for such a small knife. The Rookie is verly close to my CF Caly 3 (another favorite office EDC) in both blade length and handle length, only it's much lighter and when clipped to my pocket it doesn't pull down on pants made with lighter materials.

On weekend outings I frequently carry something larger, but always have a small knife like the Rookie to use when in the presence of non-knife people.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Thanks for the responses.
I'm really happy with my purchase even if it was a little expensive and missing the tip.
mako I'm in the same boat regarding the dragonfly. I thought to myself I wish Spyderco made something with a handle smaller than the Delica but bigger than the Dragonfly and I never knew about the rookie until I saw it. The increase in cutting edge over the Delica is a big bonus as well.

Due to the ladybug-esque handle thickness I was thinking this would make a perfect knife for a change pocket but I'm not so sure after taking off the clip, I like it aesthetically and in hand far more with the clip on. That old clip design really appeals to me on the brown calypso sprint too.

Mine feels really slippery so I would only be comofrtable with light use, jimping on the thumb ramp would help a lot.

I think this deserves to be in production based on the unique dimensions alone.

edit: I'm not sure it should be produced from a busieness standpoint buy I would really like to see another slim one liner knife; that seems promising as long as lefties aren't too upset at being left out regarding clips. I also saw someone ask in another post about fitting a comp lock in a chaparral and the one liner idea came to mind.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

By the way mako do you know of a good source for regrinds these days? My knife needs aren't going away as I buy more and more so instead of buying any further ;) I'd like to try a couple thin grinds.
If anyone else has advise on this topic I'd love your recommendations.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Buendia518 wrote:By the way mako do you know of a good source for regrinds these days? My knife needs aren't going away as I buy more and more so instead of buying any further ;) I'd like to try a couple thin grinds.
If anyone else has advise on this topic I'd love your recommendations.
Mine were done by Tom Krien a few years ago, later he switched his focus to custom knife making and curtailed his grinding service. I dimly recall seeing some very nice regrinds coming out of STR's Backyard Knifeworks, so you may want to check with him. I'm sure others here can offer you a few solid referrals.

Hope this helps...
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I carry a Rookie Sprint for EDC a few days of the week. The shape and profile is excellent and I love how slim in the pocket it is and the swedge on the blade. It's the only clipped knife I carry besides my Small Sebenza 21.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Rookie is definitely a great little knife, I also have the SS version which I like a bit better due to the extra weight. The FG G10 half-steel liner version is very nice, but somehow it's almost too light. Neither is a typical EDC for me though, although maybe it's time to slip this "new guy" into the weekly lineup (not sure who it could kick out though...).

Mako, any chance you could share a pic of yours with the deep carry clip and the regrind? Sounds like some great mods!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Mako, any chance you could share a pic of yours with the deep carry clip and the regrind? Sounds like some great mods!
Here you go...

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Mako109 wrote:Here you go...

Awesome, thank you!! That certainly does look like a mini-Military with the FFG (versus its typical Rookie look as a mini-Police), and you got the clip in the right position ;) .
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.