lesson learned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

I test drove a Toyota Tacoma today at a dealership, retraced my steps to no avail. Its possible it came out in the Tacoma. I didn't find it when I returned. Somebody got an awesome knife today wherever it may be. I'm in the Army and work around a lot of people all day long, its possible someone swiped it as well, but I could be wrong.
Holland

Post by Holland »

sorry to hear this! dont lose hope though, may still appear
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Sorry to hear about your loss - hope you find it again!

I have found that taking stuff out of my pocket will sometimes snag on the knife and flip it out without me noticing, but the pocket clip is so tight that the knife will sometimes turn the entire pocket inside out and stubbornly cling to the outside like a little leech!
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
benben

Post by benben »

I really like all the wire clips I have except the one on my Techno ! Because the scales are so slick I think the wire needs
to be twice the diameter to keep more pressure on the scale. It's the one knife I'm always worried about losing. Is anyone
making a "better" clip for the Techno?
benben
benben

Post by benben »

Also, very sorry to hear about your Sage, hope you find it soon.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:This is one drawback to the wire clip though IMO. No matter how tight it is, it won't clip as tight as an hourglass, because it has less contact patch under the clip.
I'm surprised by how much force the smaller Dragonfly clips can hold with.

Maybe we need a shorter version of the normal clip.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
nccole

Post by nccole »

Donut wrote:I'm surprised by how much force the smaller Dragonfly clips can hold with.

Yeah, a shorter one to make it more stiff. I put a Meerkat clip on my Zulu and it works well. Not sure if you could get that little clip on the Techno, the mount is different.
knolan

Post by knolan »

benben wrote:I really like all the wire clips I have except the one on my Techno ! Because the scales are so slick I think the wire needs
to be twice the diameter to keep more pressure on the scale. It's the one knife I'm always worried about losing. Is anyone
making a "better" clip for the Techno?
benben
Yeah...the Techno and Sage 2 both come out a little too easily for my comfort as well. Two things I've done that has worked pretty well is (1) removing clip and bending inward slightly with pliers to increase the tension helps although it's still not as tight as, for example a spoon clip on G10, but is much better than stock. (2) In conjunction with the re-tensioning, use heat shrink tubing (can be had in colors), trimmed, and threaded onto the clip at the contact point of the scale and heated to fit snugly...it works quite well if you don't mind the altered cosmetics. Lastly, the scale can be roughened up/etched directly under the clip...this combined with the re-tensioned clip also increases grip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:I'm surprised by how much force the smaller Dragonfly clips can hold with.

I've thought of that too and plan on ordering a Dfly clip for my Caly 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sorry for your loss.

I keep the clip on all of my knives, but often still carry them deep in my pocket (not clipped) especially at work around Non Knife People. Then when I'm working on a project at home where I'll be needing frequent access to the knife I'll clip it to the pocket. At work I'll carry my CF Caly 3.5 clipped in waistband, but find that doesn't work as well with some shorts I have, it comes out more easily, so my carry style changes based on my clothes too.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
knolan

Post by knolan »

This sounded like a good idea, and since I had an extra DF2 clip not in use I put it on my Techno to see how it worked. It does increase grip A LOT...however the DF2 clip is approx. 14mm shorter that the stock Techno clip putting the scale contact point right on the non-radiused edges of the lock-bar relief area allowing pocket fabric to catch on the inner sharp edge of the lock-bar relief. This makes it very difficult to remove without consciously placing one's fingernail under the clip and lifting the clip (tension) to release the grip on the fabric and allow removal.

I also suspect it would wear out a pocket very quickly used on the Techno. Still...perhaps this would be a good idea on other folders without an exterior lock-bar relief directly under the clip grasping point, or liner lock folders?
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Well, still no luck finding my knife. I did , however, receive my new sage 1 in the mail today. And the world keeps spinning, alas I am happy. I also saw a cute little Spyderco Ladybug in the PX today and I had to have it. I love it.
Stony

Post by Stony »

Donut wrote:Yeah, people come here all the time and say they lost their knife and 90% of them come back and report that it was in their car.
I can relate to this post!
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:I've thought of that too and plan on ordering a Dfly clip for my Caly 3.
I swapped over the clip from my Dfly salt to my Caly 3.5 and tried my hand at heat anodizing it (by placing it on the coals of my hookah, would not recommend this method but it worked well enough to get a dull gold color) and it works well but looks odd. The shortness of the clip on the handle just looks off, you can tell it isn't the stock clip. It does work well though, just not as aesthetically pleasing as the original clip.

My photobucket is being spotty but I'll upload a pic of it once it decides to start working again.

Got it. Here's my Caly 3.5 with a Dfly clip swapped onto it. Also pictured are some tasty onions about to help make delicious curry :)