How durable is almite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scolby

Post by scolby »

Brandon, it is relatively durable, meaning that it will resist the kind of wear scratches that appear mysteriously on stainless handle knives within seconds after touching them.

However, any real contact like scraping agains something hard, dropping it, or long term use WILL produce irreparable scratches. The coating is approximately 2 mil thick - meaning it is microscopically thin. Some forumite have used colored markers to "fill" in the removed coating - for cosmetic purposes. If you are going to use it, steel yourself to the inevitable.
sc_rebel1957

Post by sc_rebel1957 »

Hi Brandon it's some fairly tough stuff what Scolby told you is right on.
For some unexplainable reason the GM blue shows scratches on MINE more so than the jade green.
Still the tought of not using this knife as an EDC just doesn't appeal to me so use yours with pride and thiink of scratches as character :-) Ron
Shang Chi

Post by Shang Chi »

That's good to hear. I had just recently changed my mind on ordering a Delica SS PE, in favor of a Navigator PE. I was wondering the same thing about the Almite.

I've been carrying an Endura SS PE for years and it's covered with scratches, but I don't mind. I've always considered them marks of distinction. I'll certainly consider the inevitable scratches on my Navigator the same way.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

not exactly the same thing, but the scales on my Tufram Cricket have held up quite well.

Bought in March 2001, it has not had a lot of hard <i>carrying</i>. It has had a lot of <b>hard use</b> though. Purchased for cutting boxes at work(then BK), it was retired from that duty on Aug 20, 2001 when I bought the SS 'fly PE.

only a few scratches on the sides, a lot on the edges(spine and lock), and a few dints.

making SS scales, and have the d-pin left to finish.

*Our greatest triumph comes not from NOT falling down, but from getting back up every time.*
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Has anyone tried this on their Massad Ayoob or other black Almite scratches?

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blu ... u=4&item=4

Knife Knut on a shoestring budget.