Just picked up a Spyderco Blackhawk . . .

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Onionman

Just picked up a Spyderco Blackhawk . . .

Post by Onionman »

At a local knife show this past weekend. What intrigued me about this knife are the G-10 handles with NO liner. I never could understand why all of the G-10 knives made by Spyderco today have liners. The G-10 handle on the Blackhawk does not flex at all, so I see no point adding the weight of a SS liner. Does anyone know why Spyderco does not make linerless G-10 knives anymore?
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

they do...Google search "spyderco salt", all linerless FRN. And the Dodo is linerless G10. I agree dude, G10 is way strong enough to need liners.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Can't thread screws into plain G-10, it's strong but not enough to be able to hold the screw threading. Liners are usually so you can place a non-wire pocket clip, as far as I'm aware.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Agree with Invective... most applications with liners are for for-way clip options.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Invective wrote:Can't thread screws into plain G-10, it's strong but not enough to be able to hold the screw threading. Liners are usually so you can place a non-wire pocket clip, as far as I'm aware.
Exactly G-10, CF, and Micarta just don't work well with the fine threads needed to retain small screws. Spyderco has done unlined G-10 with a wire clip, but gave up on doing it with the three screw clips back around 2000. There's also the issue of flex. G-10 is strong, but not all that rigid, and folks tend to equate flex with weakness.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

twinboysdad wrote:they do...Google search "spyderco salt", all linerless FRN.
The OP was specifically asking about G-10, not FRN.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

and you cut off the rest of my sentences where I stated the Dodo was G10!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Also, wire clips rule so the clip argument does not help liners :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice find. Enjoy your Blackhawk!

I'd love to see a linerless G10 LOCKING UKPK. The G10 one is fabulous, except for the no lock thing, and it looks better than the Caly, and has a better choil. Been wishing for this for a long time.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If there's a clip on that knife, chances are good it has some amount of liner. You can't tap G10 very well. Even the Dodo which a lot of people think is linerless has a small nested liner for the clip to screw into. Liners also add strength and reduce pivot flex.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GronK

Love mine. . .

Post by GronK »

. . .but the clip screws into G10 and rising collector value made me park it in favor of an FRN Native which has now been replaced by the forum Native 5.

Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

See...there's a reason the clip is screwed in the spot it's in...that's where the liner is.
~David
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I replaced the original clip with a deep pocket clip, but didn't think to look for a liner. I'll have to take a look and see
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
GronK

Post by GronK »

Evil D wrote:See...there's a reason the clip is screwed in the spot it's in...that's where the liner is.
They did a sprint run in about 2002 with a liner added but my original has none at all.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:See...there's a reason the clip is screwed in the spot it's in...that's where the liner is.
There's no liners, it's a midlock. The original version of the Renegade, and the original G-10 version of the Blackhawk, had no liners.
GronK wrote:They did a sprint run in about 2002 with a liner added but my original has none at all.
That wasn't the Blackhawk, it was the Renegade, and it wasn't exactly a Sprint, more a "found a crate of old parts laying around" run.
Paul
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

twinboysdad wrote:and you cut off the rest of my sentences where I stated the Dodo was G10!
The Dodo also isn't linerless, it has a little liner in there :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
GronK

Post by GronK »

The Deacon wrote: That wasn't the Blackhawk, it was the Renegade, and it wasn't exactly a Sprint, more a "found a crate of old parts laying around" run.
A quote from 11/20/2001 by Sal that seems to indicate both were offered:

"I just received a sample of the reborn Renegade and Blackhawk models. Very nice.

A few minor changes from the original version;

The "cut out" in the handle to access the opening now is cut out on both front scale (as before) and the back scale.

There is a single stainless liner for the clip screws. I think the fit, finish and general quality are better.

They should be available shortly.

sal "

Also, pics of all three variants in this thread http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -completed!
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

GronK wrote:A quote from 11/20/2001 by Sal that seems to indicate both were offered:

"I just received a sample of the reborn Renegade and Blackhawk models. Very nice.

A few minor changes from the original version;

The "cut out" in the handle to access the opening now is cut out on both front scale (as before) and the back scale.

There is a single stainless liner for the clip screws. I think the fit, finish and general quality are better.

They should be available shortly.

sal "

Also, pics of all three variants in this thread http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -completed!
My bad. For some reason, I was thinking they'd only had Renegades finished in Japan.
Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:There's no liners, it's a midlock. The original version of the Renegade, and the original G-10 version of the Blackhawk, had no liners.
So are the screws tapped into nothing but G10 then?
~David
GronK

Post by GronK »

Evil D wrote:So are the screws tapped into nothing but G10 then?
That is correct. Not the most secure mounting. That's why they included a small liner to screw into when they did the 2002 run.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK