CALLING ALL "SALT" LOVERS! Ideas for a new "salt" knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

CALLING ALL "SALT" LOVERS! Ideas for a new "salt" knife.

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi all, I recently posted this thread about a h1 military. It might be helpful to read that thread first as we already discussed several ideas that probably won't work. :) http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... quot-knife

Sal was kind enough to chime in and said he was open to the idea of a new salt knife, so I've started this thread so that those of us who use the salt line can discuss features, designs and concepts we would like to see in the salt lineup.

Ok, I'll get started. I have decided that rather than trying to verbally construct some imaginary salt knife, I'm just going to list some features that are important to me that I would like to see. I will try to list them in order of importance to me too.

1. I would like to have an option with a real tip. I actually end up processing a lot of fish with my salts and I need a finer tip for this work. Yes, there are better tools for that job, but I often use whatever salt I have on me. Dfly and hawkbills are the only salts with fine enough tips, but neither of these are much good for fish cleaning. ;) .

2. I would like a large salt knife with a combo edge. Yeah, I know not everyone likes a ce, but it's a really useful tool for a fisherman. Everyone touts a se for fishing/ocean use, but in reality there are jobs on the boat that a pe handles much better. Cutting line is an example. I can fold a piece of 60lb braid over my dragonflys razor sharp pe and cut it like its a piece of sewing thread. I keep my se salt sharp, but I don't obsess on the insides of the serrations, so it doesn't perform this job nearly as well as a pe. Cutting soft bait like squid is another example of where a pe blade simply works much better. Ce just makes more sense than either pe or se for a fishing/boat knife IMHO.

3. I would love something with g10 and or liners....or even a titanium handle. I use my salt knives pretty hard and though I haven't been able to throw anything at my pacific salt that it couldn't handle, I would love the option of buying something a little more stout, even if it cost a fair bit more.

Ok, I've got plenty of other ideas, but those are three of my biggest requests and I want to go ahead and open this up and start letting others make suggestions. Looking forward to hearing from you other salt users.

Lance

p.s. Sal, it would also be nice if you could give us some guidance along the way. Like if we start wandering into fantasy land (eg liner lock on h1) you can let us know. :) .
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

People have wanted a Salt gents knife for a while.

I may be alone on this one but a titanium lockback with brass pins (or screws) would be interesting and could be rust-proof. With a hollow-ground clip-point it would have a nice fine tip but could be decently sturdy overall.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Big folding salt bowie.. With some sort of measurement tics on the blade. Possibly fish scaler on the tang?
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The Salt 1 in linerless G10. SE particularly.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I would campaign for a sub-3 inch Slipit (eg UKPK, Bob T Slipit, Pingo, Squeak). I would have no objection to this being a "gent's" knife. Serrated option, preferably.

This is a rather selfish request but in the UK these are the specs required for legal carry should I not have "good reason" , in the eyes of the law, to carry a locker or a fixed blade. I have a Caspian, a Warrior, an Atlantic Rescue, Salt 1, Pacific, Spyderhawk... All get carried and used when I can justify it.

I live near the sea and a UK EDC-legal Salt would be a godsend. I'd be quite happy with a design that complied with the laws of Danish, German, NY, Chicago etc.

At present there are numerous H1-bladed options yet no slipits. Yet...
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Surfingringo, I like where this is going. I am surprised you haven't hunted down a Spyderco USN Catcherman to try out. It doesn't meet all of your wishlist items but seeing your hauls I'm sure you could give it one heck of a workout.
http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/la ... GRBK_L.jpg
:spyder:
Dan
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Surfingringo, I like where this is going. I am surprised you haven't hunted down a Spyderco USN Catcherman to try out. It doesn't meet all of your wishlist items but seeing your hauls I'm sure you could give it one heck of a workout.
http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/la ... GRBK_L.jpg
Hehehe, actually I'm trying to get on the good side of a member here who I know has an extra or two of that knife. :) . We will see. That knife actually checks off a lot of my boxes, but I just refuse to pay collector prices for a knife I'm gonna beat the **** out of.

One other thing I had on my "wish list" was a higher hollow grind, kind of like what the dragonfly salt has.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-W ... een--14471

Something close to the Goddard if it is FRN. I am with The Gringo on fine tip and combo OR 3/4 SE.

I will add that linerless G10, like the Dodo, is strong enough without liners.

Please make this YELLOW
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-W ... een--14471

Something close to the Goddard if it is FRN. I am with The Gringo on fine tip and combo OR 3/4 SE.
I would rather have a ce ratio more like the military ce, but I could live with a 3/4 se with at least 1-1.5" of pe. Either would be better than the existing full se pacific for my uses. I guess they could modify their full se to have a bit more pe at the tip, but maybe the best idea would be to just offer all three. A full se, pe and a traditional ce.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Linerless G10 Caly 3.5 with H1 and a wire clip. Oh yes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Definitive answer needed, DOES G10 COME IN YELLOW? If not can we finally push for the natural translucent G10?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:I would rather have a ce ratio more like the military ce, but I could live with a 3/4 se with at least 1-1.5" of pe. Either would be better than the existing full se pacific for my uses. I guess they could modify their full se to have a bit more pe at the tip, but maybe the best idea would be to just offer all three. A full se, pe and a traditional ce.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... d-Military
post #5 has the 3/4 SE 1/4 PE Millie edge...that work for you?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Linerless G10 Caly 3.5 with H1 and a wire clip. Oh yes.
THIS for sure!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How about some other blade shape options in the Enuff Salt?

Maybe a drop point Enuff Salt combo edge?

Or better yet, but pretty unlikely, an Enuff Salt Hawkbill?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Sorry if I am expressing similar views from another thread but if you can find an Aqua Salt designed by Sal, they are truly an incredible H-1 knife. This is one of my top 5 all-time favorite Spydies. I am fortunate to have both the serrated and PE's. At one time Sierra had these on closeout for a great price. Not the perfect fillet knife but the PE does an excellent job. Not great for skinning particularly thin skinned fish, but for steaking, bait cutting, gutting, and general all purpose use around salt water, they are just toooo fine :D :D Yes I love my aqua salts. Thank you Sal and Spyderco for making such a GREAT knife. http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=296 Dern, I'm gonna have to go get one out and handle it. Functional art. :spyder:
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

3 3/4 inch blade, 14 mm hole, liner less FRN, barrel screw pocket clip, orange handles. SE edge. Call it the pacific salt.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Surfgringo,

I repeatedly put in a request for a full-sized H-1 Salt Dyad. To me it would be the perfect working tool for fishing/boating. The rather delicate tip on the plain edge would be near perfect for working smaller pan fish and trout, while the serrated edge would be perfect for rough work like line, rope, and bait cutting. It would be the complete package for an EDC type fishing knife. It would never, of course, substitute for a longer and more flexible fillet knife which would remain in the car or tackle box, but it would be the perfect pocket carry knife while camping near water, fishing, kayaking, boating etc. I do wonder of they could include a lanyard hole on the model, to round out perfection in this waterman's knife.

Sadly Mr. Glesser posted a little while ago that they have indeed researched a Salt Dyad model, but its price-point would be too expensive, so they stopped pursuing it. I still, in vain, put in my plug for one every chance I get. Perfect Frankenspider: Salt Dyad. Grail: Salt Dyad. Most reasonable combination: Salt Dyad. Perfect Salt Lovers knife: Salt Dyad.

Keep on the lookout for a USN catcherman. They pop up occasionally, especially on USN for a decent price.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm interested in reading what you and others think is ideal in an H-1 knife. My PE Salt and SE Dragonfly may not be my favorite Spydercos, but between them, they are my most used.

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... d-Military
post #5 has the 3/4 SE 1/4 PE Millie edge...that work for you?
I believe that as a full se, that setup would definitely be an improvement on the existing pacific and salt 1. I don't think you would really lose ANY of the se cutting ability yet would have a full inch of pe at the tip to work with. It's not my "dream knife", but I believe were they to remove one extra serration "set" from the tip of the pacific salt and give it a normal endura tip, it would be a much improved design from a functionality standpoint. If you need a safety tip there's always the Atlantic.

Having said all that, I would still vote for a traditional ce setup like the ce Millie!

p.s. Does anyone know enough about h1 to know how feasible it would be to mill liners out of the stuff?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I just found this pic on a google search. I would take that endura 1 blade on a salt knife in a heartbeat!

Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Pacific Salt is somewhat similar to these and readily available. Like your thread on BF, great photo's and times being shared. Sorry .357 think you already said this :eek: